It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

'Terrorism'

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 5 2007 @ 08:29 AM
link   
Terrorism: Not the act itself but the word and all that comes with it.

In America we have seen the word used in occasions where it has no real bearing as a way to rally support -or to at least demonize those who would or do not support a stance/action by implying that they are 'for the terrorists' or 'helping the terrorists win'.

This word can be used to make any unpopular action taken by the government popular; or at least make individuals afraid to oppose it.

If it sounds a bit far fetched all you have to do is read whatever press the whitehouse releases with each new action:

Opening our mail without a warrent: To help catch terrorists.

Monitoring our online communications and actions: To help catch terrorists.

Illegal wiretapping: Oh, that was to catch those pesky terrorists.

War in Iraq: On more then one occasion the words terrorism and 9/11 were equated with Iraq during public press release or speeches.

It is a sad reality that I can see going 'to far'. They can soon detain whomever they wish, with proper legal standing or not, and simply equate them with terrorism; few would object and those that do object...they just might be working with those terrorists.

Please understand that this is my speculative opinion and I am in no way qualified to state this as a fact. Please offer me the same sense of your opinion.

posted on Feb, 5 2007 @ 09:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by spines
It is a sad reality that I can see going 'to far'. They can soon detain whomever they wish, with proper legal standing or not, and simply equate them with terrorism; few would object and those that do object...they just might be working with those terrorists.

This is happening right now! There are countless people at "GitMo" and I can only assume at other facilities as well, that have no connections to "terrorism" in any form, yet are charged with terrorism, and even people that haven't been charged at all are located there, plus whenever an attempt is made to stand up for the rights of these human beings the people who try are branded as traitors, and terrorists. This is a disturbing trend in our government and American society, and it makes me wonder how long until we see members of groups that oppose what the government is doing to be branded as terrorists and stuck in jail with the complete support and backing of the American people (this is already possible as far as I know, but I haven't heard of any reported cases of it).

Take care,
Pat

posted on Feb, 6 2007 @ 08:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by thetk421

Originally posted by spines

This is happening right now! There are countless people at "GitMo" and I can only assume at other facilities as well, that have no connections to "terrorism" in any form, yet are charged with terrorism, and even people that haven't been charged at all are located there, plus whenever an attempt is made to stand up for the rights of these human beings the people who try are branded as traitors, and terrorists.

Great point and a good example of what I was trying to convey.

I can not attest to the validity of the claims that many have no connections to terrorism but, in my opinion, I feel that to be very true.

Thank you for the input.

posted on Feb, 6 2007 @ 08:07 AM
link   
And for all of you who thinks Ben Laden is at the head of the powerful organisation of Al-Qaeda, your ignorant about facts.

For more information, read the book Al-Qaeda and for more information this video on youtube.

[edit on 6-2-2007 by Vitchilo]

posted on Feb, 7 2007 @ 09:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by Vitchilo
And for all of you who thinks Ben Laden is at the head of the powerful organisation of Al-Qaeda, your ignorant about facts.

For more information, read the book Al-Qaeda and for more information this video on youtube.

[edit on 6-2-2007 by Vitchilo]

Interesting video and a quick watch. However, it does seem a bit speculative.

If it does turn out to be true then this is a perfect example of my original post (which was speculative in itself).

Thanks for the input.

new topics

top topics

join