It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Lab disaster may lead to new cancer drug

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 5 2007 @ 07:18 AM
link   
After a calculation error, it is found that many cells can be killed with little effort. This "mistake" seems to be a valuable piece of evidence and possibly a "cure" or at least very aggressive way to kill cancer cells. Let's hope this isn't swept under the rug and ignored by scientific process. Seems to sound very positive from a cancer fighting perspective.

news.yahoo.com
They ran several tests and found the compound killed "pretty much every epithelial tumor cell lines we have seen," Schaefer said. Epithelial cells line organs such as the colon, and also make up skin.

It also killed colon tumors in mice without making the mice sick, they reported in the journal International Cancer Research.

The compound works in much the same way as the taxane drugs, including Taxol, which were originally derived from Pacific yew trees.

"It targets part of the cell cytoskeleton called tubulin," Schaefer said. Tubulin is used to build microtubules, which in turn make up the cell's structure.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Accidental cure or not , the significance of this find will surely have far reaching benefits to those in the scientific community. Not to mention, future cancer patients can be assured that there is still hope on the horizon for a cure. We have been battling this disease for far too long. It is about time we have a huge breakthrough!

[edit on 5-2-2007 by theutahbigfoothunter]

posted on Feb, 5 2007 @ 08:55 AM
link   
I always put on my cynical hat when I read of cancer cures.

How much money, through taxation and charitable donations, has so far been spent on finding a cure? Yet here we are today, no closer to having a viable cure on the market. Perhaps, given the time exerted and money spent for little no gain, it's now time to move on and spend the money on something else.

The big pharma companies control the whole cancer treatment business and make £Billions from continued use of Chemotherapy drugs and the drugs used to then treat the side-effects of the Chemo drugs. One has to honestly ask, is it in their financial interests to find a cancer cure?

posted on Feb, 5 2007 @ 12:58 PM
link   
I think some people are confused. Many people with cancer are cured, it's just the methods are not always pleasant and some cancers are harder to treat than others. In a way, depending on the type of cancer you have, there is already cure. For some there isn't. There is not ever likely to be a "cure all" for every cancer out there, just better treatments.

posted on Feb, 5 2007 @ 01:03 PM
link   
Hey, sounds plausable...
WE cant find a cure when we test things we believe help, yet we find a alternative method when we make a mistake.

Me, I always thought the cure for cancer lies in some root of some plant, deep in a jungle that we never thought to test......

posted on Feb, 5 2007 @ 03:19 PM
link   
well, i agree with many points listed above.

i especially agree with agit8ed about the jungles...lets just hope we find a way to stop them burning the amazon down before we find out. (and put a little bit of slowdown on the global warming thing while we are at it...know how much co2 is being thrown up in the air each day from that one?)

and while i will say that the drug companies make way more off treating patients than curing them...i am not in a position to vilify them either

i have a chronic health condition that would have left me bedridden for the last few years if it wasnt for pfizer. just one of my meds would cost me 540 a month out of pocket (seems insurance companies dont like to insure you if you are really sick and you dont have a job to cover it) and pfizer just gave me my drugs for free. how can i possibly vilify that?

posted on Feb, 5 2007 @ 03:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by Agit8dChop
Hey, sounds plausable...
WE cant find a cure when we test things we believe help, yet we find a alternative method when we make a mistake.

That's how antibiotics were discovered. Fleming had an experiment become accidently contaminated with mold spores.

new topics

top topics

join