It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Best Prescription Sleeping Pill?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 5 2007 @ 01:52 AM
link   
I've always had problems sleeping well, both with falling asleep and waking during sleep. I'm wondering if any of the other members have the same problem and have also been on the various prescription remedies.

I think for me Ambien/Ambien CR has been the most effective, but it's quite expensive if you don't have prescription insurance.

Right now I'm being prescribed temazepam (Restoril®).

I know there are others out there like the new Lunesta® and the very old Seconal®. Sometimes other anxiolytics such as diazepam (Valium®) and lorazepam (Ativan®) are also prescribed.

Can anyone say what's worked best for them? Of course keep it within the T&C's only discuss what's been legally prescribed to you by a licensed doctor.

I'd appreciate any feedback.

P.S.: Sorry, but I'm not interested in any herbal remedies, etc. I've tried and they simply just don't work for me.

posted on Mar, 24 2007 @ 10:16 PM
link   
Temazepam is probrably the best sleep drug but is used by drug addicts and therefore not prescribed very often anymore.

Zolpidem and Zopiclone are the ones now days.
You can forget Diazepam and Lorazepam unless you know a "Good Doctor".

They are considered to be too addictive and are being taken out of service as it were.

Codeine is a good sleep agent but again is not prescribed.

There are stronger Benzo's but they are not prescribed unless you attend a sleep clinic etc....

Stick with the Restoril if I was you; its the best there is, I'm supprised you have been prescribed it?

Although, I do not want you too be addicted to it, it is very sleepy (Hypnotic).

posted on Mar, 24 2007 @ 10:16 PM
link   
Temazepam is probrably the best sleep drug but is used by drug addicts and therefore not prescribed very often anymore.

Zolpidem and Zopiclone are the ones now days.
You can forget Diazepam and Lorazepam unless you know a "Good Doctor".

They are considered to be too addictive and are being taken out of service as it were.

Codeine is a good sleep agent but again is not prescribed.

There are stronger Benzo's but they are not prescribed unless you attend a sleep clinic etc....

Stick with the Restoril if I was you; its the best there is, I'm supprised you have been prescribed it?

Although, I do not want you too be addicted to it, it is very sleepy (Hypnotic).

posted on Mar, 24 2007 @ 11:17 PM
link   
Thankfully I don't have trouble sleeping like I used to, but when I do, Lorazepam affords the most wonderful, restful sleep I have ever experienced. I can see how it would be possible to get strung out on that stuff.
I have never had much luck with over the counter medication.

Good luck in your search...........

Sweet Dreams dj77!

[edit on 24-3-2007 by whaaa]

posted on Mar, 25 2007 @ 11:10 AM
link   
Thanks for this thread dj77. It has spurred me into researching this genre of drugs.

My GF told me about some serious side effects of ambien that were truly bizarre. She also has a hard time sleeping and concurs with me that lorazapam works well with almost no goofy feeling in the AM.

www.rxlist.com...

[edit on 25-3-2007 by whaaa]

posted on Mar, 29 2007 @ 11:56 PM
link   
Ambien does apparently cause strange side effects, such as driving you car while asleep.

Since I don't have a car to begin with, the worst I've done is cook and eat a lot without remembering it in the morning until I go to the kitchen and see the mess.

Anyway, I'm getting 30 30mg and 30 15mg Restoril (temazepam) per month now, and it seems to work well. If I had insurance, I'd just get 90 15mg capsules, but on self pay getting half 30s and half 15s is a lot cheaper.

posted on Mar, 30 2007 @ 02:37 PM
link   
I have a friend that takes prescribed sleeping pills, and she’s very obviously addicted to them. It makes me very angry to see her such a slave to these pills. I have talked until I was blue in the face trying to get her to get off this crap, but she is determined not to listen, even though she admits that she’s sorely addicted, and can’t give them up!

I’ve noticed that I have more trouble staying asleep at night if I drink any form of alcohol in the evening before bed. Physical exercise (comes in many forms)
is the best sleep aid for me personally, but there are natural herbal products as well. I can drink 2 cups of chamomile tea and it makes me really drowsy. Also, reading in bed is a "major tranquilizer" for me…. it knocks me right out. No pills here…just stating stuff that helps me personally…! The no pill way

posted on Mar, 31 2007 @ 07:59 PM
link   
Don't get hooked.

Its great to get a good nights sleep on pills. And you do feel good etc. But try to come off them when they have stopped working?

"Cold Turkey"!

"Dead Turkey"

I have... well The "green lights" are the worst!!

Do you like shaking? Legs and arms will.

Oh there is nothing better than sleeping pills like lorazepam BUT they do stop working after about 2 months and boy do you need an urgent replacement like MMM.

The shakes are permanent by the way.

Your Doctor will be of no help too!

Cheers

XXTomXX

posted on Apr, 1 2007 @ 07:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by djohnsto77
Ambien does apparently cause strange side effects, such as driving you car while asleep.

Since I don't have a car to begin with, the worst I've done is cook and eat a lot without remembering it in the morning until I go to the kitchen and see the mess.

Anyway, I'm getting 30 30mg and 30 15mg Restoril (temazepam) per month now, and it seems to work well. If I had insurance, I'd just get 90 15mg capsules, but on self pay getting half 30s and half 15s is a lot cheaper.

Holy F**K
Are you saying you are on 45mg of Temazepam a night?? I would really look at any doctor that prescribed that amount!!
Temazepam has no therapeutic value over 20mg anyway. So 45mg isn't going to work any better. It will just cause cerebral agitation which will make you worse.
I would avoid all benzo's if you have been on Temazepam for a long time.
Diazepam and Lorazepam half a short half life so won't keep you asleep anyway..You will develop a tolerance to them and need higher and higher doses. You already have on that dose of Temazepam.
You could try Stilnoct (Zolpidem) if you like that gentle drifting off to sleep feeling.
or
Zoplicone if you like to have that drowsy feeling.
or
Welldorm(Chloral Hydrate) if you like the tranquilliser gun effect.

I would look at a referral to a sleep clinic or for CBT to find out the underlying cause of your insomina..
Good Luck!
Just stay away from Benzo's

posted on Apr, 6 2007 @ 08:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by Murphs

Originally posted by djohnsto77

Holy F**K
Are you saying you are on 45mg of Temazepam a night?? I would really look at any doctor that prescribed that amount!!
Temazepam has no therapeutic value over 20mg anyway. So 45mg isn't going to work any better. It will just cause cerebral agitation which will make you worse.
I would avoid all benzo's if you have been on Temazepam for a long time.
Diazepam and Lorazepam half a short half life so won't keep you asleep anyway..You will develop a tolerance to them and need higher and higher doses. You already have on that dose of Temazepam.
You could try Stilnoct (Zolpidem) if you like that gentle drifting off to sleep feeling.
or
Zoplicone if you like to have that drowsy feeling.
or
Welldorm(Chloral Hydrate) if you like the tranquilliser gun effect.

I would look at a referral to a sleep clinic or for CBT to find out the underlying cause of your insomina..
Good Luck!
Just stay away from Benzo's

I agree, that much Temazepam is drug dependency stuff!

Hypnotics like the "Z"'s are better, but not good.

Go to a sleep clinic and get the correct meds...We are trying a new one that helps you "relax" (like Diazepam) for 30 mins/1 hour and helps you sleep like Zolpidem/Zopiclone for up to 6/8 hours or more.

I wish I had listened to my mum!!

"Grin and ...

XX

XX

XXHackerXX

posted on Apr, 6 2007 @ 08:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by Murphs

Holy F**K

The U.S. FDA recommends up to 60 mg a night for sleep. I was on 30 mg/night for a while with mixed results, but the 45 mg works very well.

Thanks for the input though everyone.

posted on Apr, 7 2007 @ 12:10 AM
link   
I think now that I understand your cognizant abilities.

You're wrecked!

posted on Apr, 7 2007 @ 09:17 AM
link   
Sorry about my lame attempt at humor! I'm one to talk with my conumption of Myers and Cuervo being what it is.

posted on Apr, 9 2007 @ 05:36 AM
link   
Has anyone else had experience with Rozerem? I got it once from my doctor and if anything it actually made me more awake! Just wondering if anyone has had a positive experience from it.

Also Lunesta, no experience there myself, but I wonder how well it works.

posted on Apr, 9 2007 @ 06:27 PM
link   
Lunesta works great if you wash it down with a shot of nyquil and a 6 of Modelo.

top topics

join