It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Put cameras in Schools?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 4 2007 @ 08:36 PM
link   
I was talking to a friend today about various things and we got onto the idea of cameras in schools. Personally i can see the merit of such an idea, cameras that record to disk and store it for maybe 3 months, if anything happens then the police can view the tapes and hopefully things would be easier to sort out.

Sadly my idea of freedom intereferes with this idea. I really can see how it could be useful, but the idea of kids being constantly surveilled just fills me with worry. What would be the effects of constant observation? Would this cause undue stress to children? Maybe it could cause paronoid disorders to spiral out of control. On the other hand it would help to prevent the false accusations of assault or abuse that have occasionally occured against teachers.

It may even allow teachers to better defend themsleves when assaulted without fear of prosecution. Afterall who will believe the teacher over the child when the child has a bloody nose? Cameras would solve this issue and maybe once they realise they can't lie about it afterwards they would reconsider before even doing it. Hopefully thinking maybe.

So i wanted to start this thread on the pros and cons of the idea. I can see the benefits but the problems that could occur worry me enough to think it's not the way to go.

What does everyone else think?

[edit on 4-2-2007 by ImaginaryReality1984]

posted on Feb, 4 2007 @ 09:35 PM
link   
I wasnt aware you ppl didnt have cameras in your schools. Here in America we have cameras all over our schools. Along with drug sniffing dogs and metal detectors, the whole lot. I thought you surely would have cameras being as london is considered to be the most watched after city on earth with cameras.

posted on Feb, 4 2007 @ 11:33 PM
link   
WE have them outside schools, i was thinking more inside of them. At least that's what me and my friend were discussing, would it be a bad idea though?

posted on Feb, 4 2007 @ 11:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by ImaginaryReality1984
WE have them outside schools, i was thinking more inside of them. At least that's what me and my friend were discussing, would it be a bad idea though?

We have them inside and outside. Not inside the bathrooms or anything. But right outside the bathrooms and along hallways, and in offices, you get the point.

I dont think it would be a bad thing. I graduated highschool back in 05 so Ive been out for a while. I always hated when I would be walking in the halls during class time and the security gaurd would come up to me and ask me where im supposed to be. we had to walk around with planners that had our teachers sig for permission to take a crap or whatever. But we always knew to behave ourselves because big brother was watching, so it might not be a bad way to go. Im surprised you guys dont have any.

posted on Feb, 5 2007 @ 12:19 AM
link   
Lol the things you learn. Well i am glad in a way that you have it over there already, it should mean you are able to offer a very good view of it. Were there ever any problems with kids getting worried about it?

In the school i went to we also had to get permission to go for things, although there wern't any security guards. I am just wondering what the inpact on study would be. Would being watched all the time have a negative impact on the quality of work?

posted on Feb, 5 2007 @ 02:20 AM
link   
It will just be conditioning them to accept that they will be under surveillance eveyday, it will be 'normal' for them.
They wont question cctv because its been there since childhood.

posted on Feb, 5 2007 @ 04:34 AM
link   
My partner works in the largest secondary comprehensive school in Britain ( around 4000 students )
She has cameras inside and outside the school, two resident police and a private security team. It seems to work. There have been very few serious crimes, they tend to take place outside school, I believe the most recent was a stabbing between a couple of local drug dealers.
According to my partner, things are actually quite a bit better these days than when she started 16 years ago. Whether thats due to better surveilence or a rise in standards is anyones guess.

posted on Feb, 5 2007 @ 08:24 AM
link   
At my college there are cameras inside and outside. The cameras are quite sneeky aswell, placed where you wouldn't look or notice them.

But, they are only placed in classrooms where there is expensive equipment, such as the computer suite, kind of makes sense really.

posted on Feb, 13 2007 @ 05:52 PM
link   
I read a book about this police state. Maybe it was a movie. Didn't the whole of London march on Parliment?

I sure there are camera's just ready for the girls lavatory.

posted on Mar, 4 2007 @ 06:46 PM
link   
My school had cameras in it (supposedly) but there was always a lot of doubt about if they actually worked.

We had them in the toilets in an attempt to cut down the smoking.

posted on Mar, 5 2007 @ 07:04 AM
link   
why not just put cameras on everybody and look at everything all the time your a good person right so you have nothing to hide and nothing to worry about right . right! what was your name just for the record no worries .

posted on Mar, 5 2007 @ 07:29 AM
link   
The School where I went (In the U.K. (Near Oxford)) had them already. In fact, they even had them covering the toilets (but not so you could see anything.) Just covering the taps and such. It was...it was rather worrying in one reguard that every aspect of the school was covered and it doesn't solve any issues. All it does is help to proove who did what (but more often than not it can't even do that.)

posted on Mar, 5 2007 @ 01:46 PM
link   
I have to say I'm not fond of all this surveillance. No doubt the old "Well, if you've got nothing to hide then why do you object?" argument could be rolled out at this point.

To that, I say two things:

Firstly, if I'm not doing anything wrong then you have no reason to watch me

And secondly, privacy isn't about hiding things at are 'wrong' - it's a basic human right. You're not doing anything wrong when you get undressed, but you do it privately. Does that make it wrong? No. When you get changed, don't you expect to do this in privacy? It's no one else's business.

The state has to be very careful as to how far it goes into surveillance and watching its citizens, and the people have to be very careful as to how far they allow the state to go. Security cameras in schools... I suppose you could argue that they're ok for stopping vandalism and burglaries, but it's creating a dangerous climate in that young people become so used to being watched that they don't take any notice of it, thus allowing the state to keep increasing the amount of surveillance we come under.

posted on Mar, 5 2007 @ 03:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by Royal76
I read a book about this police state. Maybe it was a movie. Didn't the whole of London march on Parliment?

I sure there are camera's just ready for the girls lavatory.

Your getting your movies mixed up, these days the UK is more like Mad Max, you know lawless, innefective policing and govt. This is probably why we reached a point where we need cameras in our schools.

A country where 13 year olds feel and act like they can do whatever they want to whoever they want is hardly indicative of a police state, rather it smacks of too much personal freedom.

posted on Mar, 19 2007 @ 12:11 PM
link   
This is an idea I had ages ago. A great thing about 24/7 CCTV is that you don’t have to pay someone to look at it 24/7 but it’s always there when you need it.
I have no problem with it at all, but also recognise it is most needed in Britain’s worst school’s where children even attack teachers after (or in) class.

Personally I would support it even in primary schools as it may be good for the teacher to show to the parents what an exceptional-disruptive brat their “sweat” son or daughter really is.
Also when (especially) young children misbehave (more than average) there are often indirect reasons for it like problems at home. CCTV could serve as a useful tool towards helping the parent understand the problems effects, or if the parent is a bad parent (then to help make social services aware).
I think a school CCTV system should have sound as well as film recording.

You know what the best bit is?
The potential to make sure teachers are actually teaching. I remember how the few times we had inspectors even the worst teachers would produce a ten out of ten performance (usually by teaching us something we had already half covered).
Don’t know about your own experience? But bad teaching is a far bigger problem, and did me way more harm, than all the number of disruptive classes I ever witnessed.

Teachers unions would of course go ape, but in my opinion tough. Because at the end of the day if the teacher isn’t teaching properly then not only is the whole purpose of the operation of the school greatly reduced, but so too are the many future lives, and undiscovered interests that surely result.

new topics

top topics

join