It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What would you say about a White History Month?

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 6 2007 @ 09:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by truthseeka
You have to trust me, though,

No reason not to.
Did you see my post in board questions?
I asked for more WATS each month for everyone.

the sky will crash down on our heads any time now.

BREAKING NEWS ... headlines .. hell just froze over.

Seriously .. thank you.

posted on Feb, 6 2007 @ 09:55 AM
link   
ceci2006
What would be done? Would you celebrate "white" dignitaries and politicians for forwarding the needs of the white race?

I vote that we celebrate NO politicians.
be allowed

Every
one of them would sell there mother for a vote. There's a group that race skips. No matter who they are, they are all the same. Maybe they start out that way, but it only takes a term or two before they are assimulated into the “Collective”

TruthSeakka

Yes the Panthers did alot for "their" community. But what did they do to bring "All" Communitys together

[edit on 6-2-2007 by Royal76]

posted on Feb, 6 2007 @ 09:59 AM
link   

Yeah, yeah, fa sho, ceci.

After all, that IS what the Panthers were all about. We tend to forget all the good things the Panthers did for the community (breakfasts in the hood, making sure the punk pig penelope po pos didn't beat you to a pulp when they stopped you, etc.), due to their militant stance. But, they were all for power to the people.

I agree. It's a shame that people don't remember these things. Instead, they focus on the more negative aspects of what the Panthers did.

Thanks again, ceci; you seem to never run out of good stuff on these boards.

You're quite welcome. Lol, I try.

posted on Feb, 6 2007 @ 10:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by ceci2006
I'm sorry for causing your morning fit, BH.

You don't have the power to give me a fit, sweetheart! You just completely crack me up!

Frankly, I'm not militant. I'm not possessing intense animosity.

Riiiight!

You don't like the Panthers, eh, BH?

Actually, I don't know that much about them. Maybe I should participate more in Black History Month to learn, huh?

posted on Feb, 6 2007 @ 10:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by Royal76
TruthSeakka

Yes the Panthers did alot for "their" community. But what did they do to bring "All" Communitys together

I can answer that, but first, I have a question.

What part of BLACK Panthers did you miss?

Anyway, despite their in your face view on the CRM, the Panthers TEAMED UP with white civil rights groups on a number of occassions. That answer your question?

posted on Feb, 6 2007 @ 10:51 AM
link   
The "White Panthers" stood up for their community, they might be confused with the "Carolina Panthers"

No WHM would not discuss the Black Panthers

That would be for discussiong in February BHM

PS I love your Spawn. I a white person's favorite comic is Spawn, not because he's black, because he kick's @$$

posted on Feb, 6 2007 @ 11:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic
You don't have the power to give me a fit, sweetheart! You just completely crack me up!

As do you.

Riiiight!

Whatever you believe.

posted on Feb, 6 2007 @ 11:54 AM
link   
It's interesting that even talking about the possibility of creating a "White History Month" brings so many racist images and words to the forefront.

Historically, when blacks felt they weren't being included in certain aspects of American culture, they took it upon themselves to create items of "black culture" such as black magazines, black TV channels, black organizations, Black History Month, etc... in order to celebrate their culture and history. I say Good for them!

However, when white people wish to do the VERY SAME THING, they get slammed for being racist, inconsiderate and ignorant.

I do not understand this. White people who deign to be proud of their race are shamed and ridiculed. I believe this is because of a prominent (but little explored) mindset that pro-white=anti-black.

If so, then why doesn't pro-black=anti white? *sigh* Yet another double standard, I'm afraid. (although it's clear that some people who are pro-black ARE anti-white and vice versa)

But people of any other race than white can freely proclaim their pride for their race (not to mention spew racist hatred against whites) and get "compassion and understanding". Who’s experiencing “privilege” here?
Is this some kind of payback? Is that equality? I just don’t get it.

I don’t see the difference… And this thread was supposed to be about White History Month!

I’d really like to understand what’s going on here… Can anyone help me?

posted on Feb, 6 2007 @ 12:13 PM
link   
The United Caucasion Scholarship Fund "Even a White Mind is a Terrible thing to waste"

W.E.T. -of course they will have the fire and brimstone preachers on sunday just like BET. They could pick up the White rapper show

Instead of JET there could be SNAIL selling to old white people.

posted on Feb, 6 2007 @ 12:40 PM
link   
all people on this thread
stop
and realize this

comparing black history month to a proposed white history month is illogical

the black community has been oppressed for the majority of the nation's history, and so has their history

you're arguing that two things are similar when they are in fact not

if you want to see white history, open up the average american textbook
sure, there are the occasional mentions of important contributions by people of other races
but most of the time is spent emphasizing the contribution of white males

posted on Feb, 6 2007 @ 01:05 PM
link   
You would supress our history.

It seem to me that the only time you would support something like a history month is with it aides you

posted on Feb, 6 2007 @ 01:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by madnessinmysoul
you're arguing that two things are similar when they are in fact not

I'm not, in fact, arguing that at all. I've suggested several times that what I'd like to see isn't in response to Black History Month so much as a statement of (dare I say it?) pride in who we are AND to confront the atrocities about our actual history as opposed to what's in the History books in schools.

There's a lot more to the history of of white people than 1492 and 1776.

It would even be beneficial to race-relations in this country because in your basic American History class in school, slavery is glossed over as though it's just a quaint part of our history. If people could learn what slavery was REALLY about, how it really happened and the part white people of the time played in promoting the idea of 2nd class citizens, we (as a country) could face and deal with what happened 150 years ago instead of tucking it under the rug as is done in basic History class. We just might be able to better understand the anger and animosity many black people feel toward whites to this day!

Edit: Not to mention the truth about the relationship and dealings between the early white settlers and the Native American People. Instead of filling our kids' heads with visions of a harmonious Thanksgiving sharing food with the Native Americans, we could investigate and reveal the truth about what those guys actually did.

Perhaps it would lead to white Americans dealing with some of the arrogance they are perceived as displaying... I'm just saying.

if you want to see white history, open up the average american textbook

The average American History book is FULL of inaccuracies and omissions. The average history book is USELESS!

but most of the time is spent emphasizing the contribution of white males

Exactly! And as a white female, I ask: What's wrong with having a White History Month to correct these inaccuracies, include those ommissions, celebrate some of the good things we've done and face up to some of the sins of our fathers?

Can you tell me what's wrong with that without relating it to Black History Month?

[edit on 6-2-2007 by Benevolent Heretic]

posted on Feb, 6 2007 @ 02:11 PM
link   

You would supress our history.

no, you're completely misreading what i said
i'm saying white history month isn't necessary because most history in the USA is about white people

It seem to me that the only time you would support something like a history month is with it aides you

no..
actually, black history month in no way aids me
the only history months that could aid me are
maltese history month
and
atheist history month

and i'm not really calling for the first
and the second isn't necessary because so many atheists are brought up in history classes (though their atheism isn't discussed)

the point of black history month is to make up for the supression of black history for 2 centuries

and benev, i get your point

posted on Feb, 6 2007 @ 02:26 PM
link   
I will have to wait for two Centuries to have WHM

By then there will be argument over weither white people should be aloud to vote, etc.

BHM is a Non white club that you want to keep whites out. You can't keep us out then whine because some old white guy won't let you play golf on his private course.

Do you think you own oppression

That black people are the only people that have been repressed

Do you think there have never been white people in chains, stepped on by the man, told what to do, where to live, how to live

posted on Feb, 6 2007 @ 02:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by madnessinmysoul
most of the time is spent emphasizing the contribution of white males

Did ya' see my post a few pages back on what my daughters social studies/history class has learned so far this year? It's FAR from what you have suggested.

BTW .. BH and I both have said that we favor NO ______ history months (fill in the blank). That would include a white history month. We both have said that instead of segregating each month by race, we would like to see everything taught as just plain ol' history/social studies instead of special racist months designated.

posted on Feb, 6 2007 @ 02:46 PM
link   

I will have to wait for two Centuries to have WHM

By then there will be argument over weither white people should be aloud to vote, etc.

Hopefully it won't even be an issue in 200 years

BHM is a Non white club that you want to keep whites out. You can't keep us out then whine because some old white guy won't let you play golf on his private course.

I doubt old Whitey will be left out, we had a great deal of involvment in oppressing a large majority of the world.

Do you think there have never been white people in chains, stepped on by the man, told what to do, where to live, how to live

Well you have found the real route of the issue, maybe we are more equal than you think.....maybe the real issue is whether we should have a "Class History Month" cos' that is where we should be looking these days, the Have and Have nots, of course this should also be covered in BHM.

posted on Feb, 6 2007 @ 02:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by Cocker
"Class History Month"

EXCELLENT ... the 'dominant culture' is really those with the most $$$.
Excellent thought Cocker. Economics and social studies classes for the entire month teaching how those with money (no matter their skin color) run the world.

Edited ONCE for spelling.

[edit on 2/6/2007 by FlyersFan]

posted on Feb, 6 2007 @ 03:16 PM
link   
Seems we're not the only ones who have this Kooky idea, FF.

A Single Race Shouldn't Get a Month-Long Celebration

Why is black power considered OK while white power is considered racism? Black History Month creates segregation, not unity.
Overcompensation is deadly.
the U.S. has gotten into a terrible habit of trying to make up for a messy past.
In a nation so divided these days, we do not need Black History Month. We need 12 straight American history months. I am not racist, but I am dying for equality and an end to definition by race.

I have heard (from blacks) that they don't want separation. Black History month flies in the face of that claim, in my not-so-humble opinion.

[edit on 6-2-2007 by Benevolent Heretic]

posted on Feb, 6 2007 @ 07:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic
I have heard (from blacks) that they don't want separation. Black History month flies in the face of that claim, in my not-so-humble opinion.

Its good that they don't want separation, a little strange that they don't mind being grouped as "Blacks" though.

posted on Feb, 6 2007 @ 08:08 PM
link   
I mean that the people I've heard it from were black. I wasn't grouping.

I don't use "African American", because not all blacks (or black people) are from Africa. Condoleeza Rice for example.

I'm educable.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join