It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What would you say about a White History Month?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 5 2007 @ 02:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by FlyersFan
I think it should be part of the main stream teaching and not a separate teaching all by itself.

Well, I agree with that as well.. I think that one of the downfalls of the present school system is that not only do the schools not teach truthful history, they do not teach a complete history.

Look at what our grade schools do.. They make heros out of people like George Washington and such... Now,look, Washington was a great guy, don't get me wrong here. However , he was not the military "genius" that our history teachers have made mim out to be.. Of the twelve battles that Washington led, he only won three of them. I didn't know that until I attended Community College!! Why the obfuscation up to that point? Here I was thinking that Washington was some "super hero" of American history, only to be dashed by the truth.. Washington is only one of many examples of this.

[edit on 5-2-2007 by SpeakerofTruth]

[edit on 5-2-2007 by SpeakerofTruth]

posted on Feb, 5 2007 @ 02:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by SpeakerofTruth
I was thinking that Washington was some "super hero" of American history

He was a hero, but in a different way. He was basically offered to be King of America and he turned it down. How many politicians today would turn down being King of America? (or Queen, in Hillary's case). He wasn't a military genius but he was definately a hero. He was willing to give it all for his country and that is what heros do.

Washington is only one of many examples of this.

Oh sure .. Washington may have been elevated somewhat but so have many others. Martin Luther King Jr was a notorious womanizer, plagerizer, and he mis-spent donation money on hookers, but you won't hear those facts discussed during Black History Month will ya?

As far as finding truth SpeakerofTruth ... I think we will only find 'truth' when we are dead and can view this world etherially without the choking demonic hold that lies have on it. There are too many lies in this world and there are too many people pumping out lies who actually believe them and who try to get others to believe them to be able to find real truth while we are alive on this planet.

Sorry. Depressing. But that's what I see.

posted on Feb, 5 2007 @ 02:53 PM
link   
Of course, let me interject here. In order for the schools to teach an accurate and complete history, the school year would have to be extended... Summer break would have to be practically done away with. History is a massive subject if covered correctly.

posted on Feb, 5 2007 @ 02:56 PM
link   
Flyers, unfortunately, you are probably correct. I have often said that we only gain complete truth in death.
I wish it were different.. I wish we all could see the full picture while alive, but, unless it happens in the distant future, that level of enlightenment is not apt to come upon man.

posted on Feb, 5 2007 @ 03:23 PM
link   

well, i'd say which one?
because there are twelve to choose from

january, march, april, may, june, july, august, september, october, november, december

all of them are white history month

posted on Feb, 5 2007 @ 03:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by Deus_Brandon
"WHITE POWER"

I just wanna see how well this goes over ...

It won't. Please cease this now.

posted on Feb, 5 2007 @ 03:41 PM
link   
I think I am racist ... or what the world woudl consider racist ... Although I have many good friends ... that are not the same Sex, nor Color as me ... A matter a fact ... I would say that 80% of my friends are of a different Ethnicity ...

posted on Feb, 5 2007 @ 03:44 PM
link   
Yeah because we have created history and things worth remmebering what did you guys do ... Get brought here ... That took some ambition ... Hmmm ..I could go on but I might hurt some of your worthless feelings .. and if you don't see that you need to make more out of your lifes ... then your Fathers before you ... YOU ARE ALL LOST !!! and you need to go look for ALIENS ... Make some use of your already meaningless lifes ...

Originally posted by madnessinmysoul

well, i'd say which one?

january, march, april, may, june, july, august, september, october, november, december

[edit on 5-2-2007 by Deus_Brandon]

posted on Feb, 5 2007 @ 03:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by Deus_Brandon
I think I am racist ... or what the world woudl consider racist ... Although I have many good friends ... that are not the same Sex, nor Color as me ... A matter a fact ... I would say that 80% of my friends are of a different Ethnicity ...

I suggest you reread the T&C then, you will get your answer. You want to be racist go to a site that tolerates that, we don't. That is the final word on this.

Now back to the topic.

posted on Feb, 5 2007 @ 03:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by SpeakerofTruth
I think that one of the downfalls of the present school system is that not only do the schools not teach truthful history, they do not teach a complete history.

Hence my request for White History Month. There's always more to learn (and re-learn) about history!

A perfect Public Service Announcement during WHM:

Washington was a great guy, don't get me wrong here. However , he was not the military "genius" that our history teachers have made mim out to be.. Of the twelve battles that Washington led, he only won three of them. ... Here I was thinking that Washington was some "super hero" of American history, only to be dashed by the truth.. Washington is only one of many examples of this.

Learn more, as we expand on this and many other historical inaccuracies and ommissions during April, White History Month!

[edit on 5-2-2007 by Benevolent Heretic]

posted on Feb, 5 2007 @ 03:48 PM
link   
We are trying to seperate White people from White Power Nazi's. I don't want anything to do with them. This is not going to break out into some white sheets @#^&&*& ok. If you want to do that go start you own thread or go somewhere else.

I'm just tired of being beaten down and told my whiteness is unimportant next to celebrating everyone elses. I, nor did any of my family own slaves, beat Mexican, work asians to the bone. Quit generalizing the rest of US who did nothing to you.

If you want to see things from all perspectives then use all perspectives. This is the only way for us as a people to understand each other.

posted on Feb, 5 2007 @ 03:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by Harassment101
When you say white history month, what do you mean by that?

Skin color, because a lot of people fall into that category. Do you mean cultural background? Or do you mean the history of the country of which you currently reside?

Eg. This could include, Russians, Scandinavians, Italians, Greeks, Britsh, etc. Also how do you determine who qualifies for white history month?
[edit on 5-2-2007 by Harassment101]

Then by the same token, how do you know what blacks fall into balck history month?

American blacks? Australian aboriginees? Kenyans, etc? What? its ok to have a month fo everything black, but we have to break white history way down to make it seem less racist?

People are letting political correctness and race get way out of control..

They recently wanteing to ban the word "'n-word'" in texas? great idea, huh? guess what? Thats an infringement on the firsdt admendment, not to mention that its blacks who use that word most frequently.

posted on Feb, 5 2007 @ 04:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by Royal76
We are trying to seperate White people from White Power Nazi's. I don't want anything to do with them.

We don't want to "separate" anyone...

What we are obligated to do is to ensure that those participating on ATS are abiding by the Terms & Conditions Of Use. Those that can, get to stay and participate; those that find themselves unable to exert even a modicum of self control, do not.

The reason those of shall we say "unsavory points of view" are not automatically banned is the hope that perhaps some small sliver of a percentage are persuaded to waver just a bit. Some may laugh at this altruistic gambit... But with a motto of "Deny Ignorance" it's the only way to approach this situation.

Stand firm if you feel you are right, listen to opposing points of view, and engage in civil discourse... ATS asks nothing more than that.

Additional reading:

Mod Note: Courtesy Is Mandatory – Please Review This Link.

Mod Note: How Not To Be Banned From ATS – Please Review This Link.

[edit on 5/2/2007 by Mirthful Me]

posted on Feb, 5 2007 @ 04:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by madnessinmysoul

well, i'd say which one?

How do you come to that conclusion? Is it white history because it was recorded by whites? or does it have to involve whites to be considered white history?
just wondering

posted on Feb, 5 2007 @ 04:12 PM
link   
What invention has been invented by a white person do we not know about? What white general do we not know about? What white political leader do we not know about? Umm, none that I know of. It seems to me that there is a general lack of understanding as to what the goal of "Black history" month actually is...

posted on Feb, 5 2007 @ 04:16 PM
link   
I just would like this to be a discussion, not a white power rally.

posted on Feb, 5 2007 @ 04:20 PM
link   
People keep saying about PC'ness going too far.

In certain situations I could understand that, but it certainly isn't happening on this thread.

There is voicing an opinion and voicing ignorance and certain individuals are certainly swaying toward the latter.

Look at the terms you are using, and tell me that you are not harbouring ill feeling regarding this subject.

You choose to ignore those comments which try to explain but can't get past viewing the matter from any other perspective other than your own.

This self-centredness is typical of western society, and is not restricted to any particular skin colour.

posted on Feb, 5 2007 @ 04:23 PM
link   
Of White this and that who have faded into obscurity. The $$$ guys control who we remember when it comes to that.

The reason we don't rememeber any famous black generals is because there are any from the past.

I remember Colin Powell, I would have voted for this guy for President and was @#@#ed he refused to run. I did understand him not want to subject his family to what would come tho.

If you want to talk about famous black military people then maybe we should talk about the Ottaman (can't spell to save my life) Empire of Ancient ages.

posted on Feb, 5 2007 @ 04:26 PM
link   
The United Kingdom is one to talk.

How many people left you guys because the were being discriminatied against

Who really has a bigger history of putting its foot on other necks. Should I bring up India, Africa, Austrialia, "The America's".

So lets not get all self rightous

posted on Feb, 5 2007 @ 04:56 PM
link   
Hi Scrub.

If we had equality in leadership of men, woman and everyone of ethnic origins then there might not be a need, but until that time happens, that is why people feel a need.

Hi FlyersFan.

Can you quantify that Martin Luther King Jr, misappropriated donation funds on prostitutes? I have just not heard this before and I would like to get this clearifed.

Hi Royal76.

No one is stopping you from loving yourself, or being proud of yourself. Even in this thread right now the biggest barrier seems to be you.

HI SpeakerofTruth.

I think the reason you have special months is because people do want to learn about their history, but also to find role models who they can mentor with, even if it's people of the past. This should be something available to every child and every culture. Indian, Asian, black, white, etc. I think in school white history is taught and that is why you have seen the push for other cultures to get in and have a say.

HI FlyersFan

Teach all the great facts about what people, of all colors, did in history... but teach it as part of the normal every-day school day and not as something separate.

Yeah like a human history month.

Hi Royal76

I'm just tired of being beaten down and told my whiteness is unimportant next to celebrating everyone elses. I, nor did any of my family own slaves, beat Mexican, work asians to the bone. Quit generalizing the rest of US who did nothing to you.

Could some of what you are feeling be based on how you are choosing to interpret things? I mean no one here is saying you did any of that, but your "stop generalizing the rest of us who did nothing to you," makes it sounds like all races have some accusatory finger pointed at you, and that is not the case here, and I suspect it's not the case in some other places.

For some reason you feel uncomfortable with celebrating who you are and you seem to be interpreting that others will take offense. I don't know what's happened in the past, but many other cultures are comfortable enough with themselves, that they are not going to freak out if you take pride in your whiteness. I think you have to work on being comfortable with that within yourself and stop pointing the finger at others. No one can give you validation of what is and what is not ok, unless you give it to yourself first.

Hi XphilesPhan.

Did you see my example of what makes a real canadian? That's why I asked. Before that thread I had pretty much generalised not realising that some people do not see things the same way and so since Royal76 started the thread, I wanted to get his feedback.

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join