It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

More WATS Please

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 4 2007 @ 05:04 PM
link   
It's just day four of February, and once again I have already spent all my WATS for the month.

The little buggers burn a hole in my pocket!

Would you all consider giving out more WATS for us to spend? Perhaps something like everyone gets three a month, then on their anniversary they get one more each month.

I've completed two years so perhaps I could have my 3 and then add 2 more to make it 5 WATS to spend each month? On my 3rd anniversary I'd get one more each month - 6 WATS a month??

(picture Oliver Twist dressed in rags, inching forward with an empty bowl in hand ....)

Please sir, I want some more .....

Thank you for your consideration in this matter.

posted on Feb, 4 2007 @ 07:07 PM
link   
I've said this a few times in the past. Also, sometimes it can be upsetting when we can not vote for the same member more than once. I understand why we have this, but it blocks members from attaining some legitimate votes.

posted on Feb, 4 2007 @ 08:01 PM
link   
FF's at it again ... wants more W.A.T.S., T.W.A.T.S. ... or somethin' like that .. (?)

What say ye?!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Uh-oh, I thought ... uhm ... thought this was in ... uhm .. nevermind  

Actually I think it's a great idea. An increase that wouldn't require extensive code editing nor should it add significant load to the database/server.

Perhaps an increase in WATS votes[5(?)], which wouldn't necessarily diminish their value, and the ability to vote more than once for a given member.

My thoughts:
More than one WATS vote for a given member, but not in the same thread. (workable?)

To avoid any confusion,
As a Mod I can't, but as a member I often found myself wanting to W.A.T.S. a fellow ATSer repeatedly. Not due to their contribution to a single thread/discussion, but more to their contribtion to ATS as a whole.

We have some brilliant minds here. A Lot of chaff, mind you, but the Wheat is Golden.

$.02

posted on Feb, 4 2007 @ 08:05 PM
link   
Yeah it may be a good idea considering the HUGE number of participating members we have now.....3 voted don't go as far as they used to.

posted on Feb, 4 2007 @ 08:12 PM
link   
How about, we could purchase additional WATS votes with ATS points, say 50,000 or so per WATS limited to 5 total?

posted on Feb, 6 2007 @ 05:49 AM
link   
extra WATS votes should , IMHO not just be doled out

only having 3 makes them special - rather than just cast on a whim

i often make a note of members who have impressed me - and wait till almost month end to cast my votes

pluss - i disagree with the idea of being able cast multiple votes for one person .

i do not mean to be negative - but its just th way i think

and IMHO having a greater number of votes , which an be cast for the same recipient would sadly make " shill voting " accounts more atractive

if you want to give more votes to the members which would use them wisely , my proposal would be :

1 wats vote / member , PLUS one additional vote / 10 applause

that way - shills would be pointless - and members of impecable standing would potentioaly have > 10

just my idea - YMMV

posted on Feb, 6 2007 @ 05:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by 12m8keall2c
FF's at it again ...

Hmmmmm .... just what do you guys say about me back there in super-secret mod land anyways? hmmmm?????

Anyways .. it's dead silence from the powers that be. I guess this isn't going any where. Too bad. I think more WATS would mean that we could use them to encourage more of the newbies to post, etc etc ...

posted on Feb, 6 2007 @ 06:00 AM
link   
What effort would have to go into coding to have some sort of anonymous contact to the member who has received a WATS Vote? If I were to vote FF for a WATS vote, she would receive a u2u showing confirmation of the vote but not be able to see who it is from. I think the WATS is an untapped resource by a lot of members, because it is never known when you receive one. With the Applauses! from staff members, the u2u indicates our work and provides recognition. I think the problem with the current WATS system is that it fails to offer any recognition to members.

Even if we stick with three votes, I would love to see some sort of system implemented where members receive a u2u.

posted on Feb, 6 2007 @ 06:01 AM
link   
If I don't use mine to vote, do they rollover and accumulate? Can I trade them with other members for points to use on other things? If not, is there some reason why the rules are under such tight control?

posted on Feb, 6 2007 @ 06:17 AM
link   
I like FF's idea on getting more as seniority increases.

I would like to see a "high score" list so to speak. I would like to see who got 2nd, 3rd, 4th,...,24th, 25th most WATS in a month and for what they got their wats for. Maybe I missed a valuable contribution from some member somewhere, and a vote tally would tell me which contributions were most regarded...

posted on Feb, 6 2007 @ 07:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by chissler
I would love to see some sort of system implemented where members receive a u2u.

I usually copy the 'you have voted for' information and stick it in a U2U to the person. That way, if they don't come back to the thread to see that I have posted it there, they know they got it.

A notification would be great Chissler!

posted on Feb, 6 2007 @ 07:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by annestacey
If I don't use mine to vote, do they rollover and accumulate?

You get three a month. Each month it's renewed to three. They don't roll over or accumulate.

I thought that adding one WATS for each year that a person has been here would be good. The more senior you become .. the more WATS you have to award.

posted on Feb, 6 2007 @ 07:38 AM
link   
For me a WATS is not to be used as political or idealogical agreement with a thread topic. Neither is it to be used for favoritism. So its pretty rare when I give out a WATS.

However, there are the rare occasions that someone will post something timely, on topic, with proper references, and written with such professional clarity, that they deserve to be rewarded.

Yet, despite trying to hold myself to strict standards, I've also been running out of WATS early every month recently. Perhaps thats due to the increase in board members. I'm not sure.

It would be great to have a couple more to give out per month, to allow rewarding posts that stand out, even at the end of the month.

posted on Feb, 6 2007 @ 07:57 AM
link   
I couldn't help but notice that the monthly WATS award hasn't been regularly awarded or announced since about last August... any idea why? Are they not doing it anymore? Seems kinda pointless to increase the number of votes we get if there's never a winner announced anymore.

df1

posted on Feb, 6 2007 @ 10:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by FlyersFan
I thought that adding one WATS for each year that a person has been here would be good.

Longevity does not make anyone more qualified to judge posts. Why should anyone be given more sway just because they found ATS first? In the interest of fairness, if the operators choose to give more WATS votes they should give more to everyone equally. To do otherwise would be unfair.

posted on Feb, 6 2007 @ 10:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by df1
You Think Your Special

:shk: Oh brother.

If I thought I 'was special' I wouldn't have asked for EVERYONE to get more WATs I'd have just asked for myself.

Many places use rewards for length of service and/or time with good behavior. Corporations do it. The military does it. There is no reason why ATS couldn't do the same thing.

Rewards for a certain length of time without a warning.
Rewards for a certain length of time as a member.

I suggest these rewards be WATS.

posted on Feb, 6 2007 @ 10:17 AM
link   
I agree that we need more WATS, At least 3 a week . . .

12 for the month.

df1

posted on Feb, 6 2007 @ 10:39 AM
link   

Corporations do it. The military does it.

It's funny, but not surprising that you would select two examples that are explicitly undemocratic, corporations & the military. You talk a good game of democratic rhetoric, but obviously you hate democracy in practice. The seniority system has corrupted congress and it will surely do the same for ATS should your bias ideas be adopted.

You would benefit directly from an ATS seniority system for WATS votes. Explain to me again how you are not being selfishly biased.

Oh brother indeed.

I've no problem with members getting more WATS votes, but not FFs way.

posted on Feb, 6 2007 @ 12:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by df1
examples that are explicitly undemocratic,

You are a communist. You don't understand about earning rewards and earning more because you work longer and harder.

obviously you hate democracy in practice.

Edited to add ... sure I'd benefit from this. that's why I suggested it. MANY people would benefit from it. And eveyrone has an equal right to work towards the goal of earning the extra WATS as well.

But .. management is absolutely silent on the idea so far. You may not have to get all worked up about it.

[edit on 2/6/2007 by FlyersFan]

df1

posted on Feb, 6 2007 @ 12:49 PM
link   

And eveyrone has an equal right to work towards the goal of earning the extra WATS as well.

Yeah right everybody will work harder, but if you found ATS first they will forever be behind you. This is not equal rights. If you believe this rhetoric, it is no wonder that you are defending the corrupt marriage of government & business we have in the US. Our government is nothing but an organized crime syndicate that is dangling the carrot that everyone can become one of the privileged elite and your freaking buying into this false reality they have created for you in the media.

I've got news for you, you are not going to catch up to the carrot any more than the mule pulling the cart will catch up to his carrot.

[edit on 6-2-2007 by df1]

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join