It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sy Hersh Blasts Bush, says he is going to do what he wants to.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 4 2007 @ 04:33 PM
link   
The New Yorker's reporter Seymour Hersh lashed out at the Bush administration at a symposium on terrorism at Tufts University. In his speech closing out the gathering he asserted that we have a government that will do what it wants to over the next two years, congress and public be damned. He described the president as a total radical, probably the most radical president in terms of his definition of presidential power. he also described Bush as a man who doesn't learn from information and does not learn from the past.

www.tuftsdaily.com

The New Yorker's Seymour Hersh closed out last week's symposium "The 'War on Terrorism': Where Do We Stand" with a scathing critique of President George W. Bush and his foreign policy in the Middle East.

"The fact of the matter is we have a government that will do what it wants to do for the next two years," he said. "The worst is yet to come. It's sort of like we're essentially powerless [and] just play it out."

He said that Bush and top aides have largely ignored the military intelligence presented to them on Iran's nuclear program.

"Whatever Iran has, they've shown us, they've showed the I.A.E.A. [International Atomic Energy Agency]," he said.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

When I read Seymour Hersh's speech a chill went up my spine. Like him or not Mr. Hersh has a credibility that the bush administration only wishes it had, and when he speaks it is always wise to at least pay attention... even when he is wrong. The current government is composed of ideologues and in my book they are always dangerous, left or right it does not matter....give me a cold blooded pragmatist any day. The notion of a presidency that is determined to do what it wants regardless of what the congress or the people want should disturb all of us... liberal or conservative. A man, any man who has as much power as he who feels that he isn't answerable to anybody is not only dangerous but mad.

[edit on 4-2-2007 by UM_Gazz]

posted on Feb, 4 2007 @ 04:42 PM
link   
whats wrong with him doing what he wants, after all the americans voted for him did they not. they voted him into office, to run there country, the blame always stopps at the president and he has to do what it takes to get things done.

now you do not believe that presidents are held back by public opinion, why should he be. he is in the last 2 years of his presidency, and he like other presidents will do anything he wants. like hillary says, he will probably leave the country in a bad mess in iraq, and possibly iran situation may get worse.

you americans can never just appreciate the fact that you voted him in to your system of government, and this is what goes on. you just have to accept it. just look at that government figure that alex jones always talks to, Ron Paul just accepts that ameircan system is flawed and he cannot do anything. imagine he is in power and he accepts you cannot do anything about these things.

just accept your slavery, go and have a beer, and sit and watch, whatever tv you watch. remember just to sleep, obey and accept these things. lol.

posted on Feb, 4 2007 @ 04:53 PM
link   
there is a thing called the law ya know. Ya know we need a mooning icon for comments like these.

posted on Feb, 4 2007 @ 05:05 PM
link   
We have elected Bush into the Presidency to "represent" us, hence the terms "democratic republic".

Bush being the president is the final leg of representing the American people. Bush has done nothing through the past 6 years besides "misrepresentation" of the American people.

Held back by public opinion? Why should he be? Need I refer you back to the terms "democratic republic"? We all know that he will further the malignant tumor on the American populous before he leaves office, but that doesn't mean that the steps he takes, or is taking, or has taken, are right. He should have already been impeached for his BS, and tried as a "war criminal" just the same as Saddam.

Correction... Ron Paul does quite a bit to better American. Too bad for him, he's been in a position rather unbeknown to the "democratic republic" for being away from the spotlight as a libertarian. Hopefully by changing to the Republican party, he'll get more limelight. He's got my vote.

Accepting that we have endured hard times and there's nothing we can do, would be the same as rolling over and playing dead. This is still America, and I'll be go to hell before I submit to someone else's failures.

Info

posted on Feb, 4 2007 @ 05:37 PM
link   

Accepting that we have endured hard times and there's nothing we can do

Actually, you have not endured anything. Let's put this into a context and perspective of reality...the Iraqi and Afghani people have endured 'hard times'...all you guys did was to allow what modicum of libertarian rights you had to be enchained, and the only thing you all managed was a whimper. GOVERNMENTS ARE MEANT TO BE RESISTED. You'll fight a war in some soverign country in order to install an alien concept of democracy, and yet at home, you allow it to crumble on the whims of a few. You should be ashamed of yourselves...your grandfathers did not sacrifice their lives in WW2 for the bull# you all now accept.

posted on Feb, 4 2007 @ 05:48 PM
link   
Enduring the slow yet methodical demise of the United States Constitution is not enduring hard times? I am truly sypathetic of what has taken place to the people of Iraq, and soon to be Iran (and possibly Syria). No, there's not someone being blown up on my street corner, but the future of my children being at stake is a hard time, in my books.

There's a "context and perception" of reality that retracts the facts of why the United States Military is in Iraq, and that has nothing to do with why we are there now.

The malicious means of a few does not dictate as to the entire populous' views on foreign policy. ..."all you guys did was to allow what modicum of libertarian rights you had to be enchained".... What you refer to is in fact the movement of Congressional puppets. I did my part to voice my concerns about not allowing certain movements of this political system, and as well, numerous others have, too.

"You should be ashamed of yourselves...your grandfathers did not sacrifice their lives in WW2 for the bull# you all now accept."...

I agree, but that still does not encompass the ideals of each and every single American citizen. I have done quite a bit to speak out against the loss of the freedoms, the acts of treason, and the acts of war that most people (the apathetic ones) sit around and watch on the TV.

posted on Feb, 4 2007 @ 05:49 PM
link   
elysiumfire, I don't accept one damn thing my govt is doing. As Grover said, they are ignoring the will of the American people. We didn't vote these scumbags in. The Supreme Court abandoned its duty and appointed Bush president in 2000. That's hardly even Constitutional, let alone it ignores the will of the people. In both 2000 and 2004, it has been proven that Bush LOST, his opponents both times had the majority of the popular vote and the electoral vote.

I was always 100% against going to war, as were many, many Americans. We protested, we wrote letters, we demonstrated, we tried to educate others about what we saw happening. It took 6 years, but we did accomplish the education of fellow Americans so that now Bush has what...25% approval rating, or maybe less? The majority of Americans by far believe Bush should be impeached. But...Congress is ignoring what the people want. We are still out there protesting. The problem is the govt doesn't give a damn about the People and what they want. Nothing has worked with these people, even after the Dems got back into power. The media has ALWAYS downplayed the huge numbers of people that show up for a protest, it's not that we had only a whimper.And I am well aware of the suffering of Iraq and Afghan. But we here in America are watching our govt sell our country down the drain and there's not a thing we can do about it right now. No one in govt is listening to us, they've given up the mandate to lead and govern.
Now, what would you have us do, become suicide bombers??
I'm not ashamed of myself, I NEVER liked these BushCo idiots and have done everything I can to educate others. I am, however, ashamed to be an American right now, because of my govt.

So keep your self-righteous drivel to yourself, because at this point, we Americans are fed up with our govt and hate it. It's the govt, get it?

posted on Feb, 4 2007 @ 06:18 PM
link   
There was another article I read talking to people like forestlady and myself...who stood in oppoisition to this war from the very beginning and protested and got insulted, egged and the like. The people interviewed were asked if they felt vindicated and to a person they said hell no... to claim I told you so at this late date would be in bad taste, that if anything it all left a bitter taste in the mouth. Many of us were like I said egged, insulted, threatened and in some cases physically attacked and jailed as well. All for saying that we felt what was happening was wrong. Now 4 years, 3,000+ American deaths and upwards toward 20,000 maimed and the 100,000 + or - Iraqi deaths... the sheep are looking up.

posted on Feb, 4 2007 @ 06:18 PM
link   
Hi There,

I will applaud and support any American that stands up to resist their current administration...that person I will count as brother or sister. I may never get to meet you face-to-face, but I'm with you heart and soul, and my posts, sometimes critical, but mostly fair, will reflect that.

If one is going to 'deny ignorance', then one had better accept that they are going to get offended by what they learn, or by the reaction culled from eclectic world views. I follow Paine's dictum..."The world is my country...to do good, is my religion". Their are certain mindsets I come across - even in my own country, that are to me a 'red rag to a bull', and in those instances, I fail Paine's dictum, and I fail myself, and I do not feel good about it. Which highlights America's true quandry...the need to change the 'mindsets' (not regimes) of a divided and paranoid nation.

You do not give up freedoms for so-called 'national security', you nurture them, collect them, and shove them in the face of those whom would take them from you, foreign or domestic (NWO?). Instead of pledging to a flag, you should be pledging to the constitution, which is the beating heart of America. The flag represents the govenment, but the constitution represents the people...that is their flag...and no, the two do not represent the same...not in ideology.

posted on Feb, 5 2007 @ 07:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by elysiumfire
If one is going to 'deny ignorance', then one had better accept that they are going to get offended by what they learn, or by the reaction culled from eclectic world views.

Very true. But that doesn't give a person the right to be offensive and well, insulting. Especially, when things in your own country are even worse than here in America. Why haven't the Brits rebelled or done something about their loss of freedoms? It also helps to know the facts, instead of just making judgments.

I'm very glad that Mr. Hersh has said this. This is what journalists are supposed to be doing.

posted on Feb, 5 2007 @ 08:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by elysiumfire

Accepting that we have endured hard times and there's nothing we can do

Actually, you have not endured anything. Let's put this into a context and perspective of reality...the Iraqi and Afghani people have endured 'hard times'...all you guys did was to allow what modicum of libertarian rights you had to be enchained, and the only thing you all managed was a whimper. GOVERNMENTS ARE MEANT TO BE RESISTED. You'll fight a war in some soverign country in order to install an alien concept of democracy, and yet at home, you allow it to crumble on the whims of a few. You should be ashamed of yourselves...your grandfathers did not sacrifice their lives in WW2 for the bull# you all now accept.

Thank you for saying what needs to be said. The cowardice displayed in this country is deplorable, and we, the American public, are paying the price for that cowardice with each freedom that we allow to be taken away.

Sure people have protested, however, it has been obvious from the beginning that it wasn't going to do a damned thing. When it became obvious that protesting was in vain, did we as Americans take responsibility for ourselves and our government, and step up actions to make our voices heard?

No, the majority of us lined up to be herded into "free-speech" zones. People actually "protested" where the government allowed them to.. how brave.

[edit on 5-2-2007 by phoenixhasrisin]

new topics

top topics

join