It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dangers of Amalgam/Mercury Fillings Video - Actual Smoking Teeth Footage

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 4 2007 @ 04:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by Realtruth
Current research says you are incorrect.

Well, I'm not saying you're entirely wrong, I'm just saying so far so good.
In fact, I swallowed one several years ago. Nothing happened. My dentist told me, "You'll poop it out." LOL!

posted on Feb, 4 2007 @ 04:03 PM
link   
Did you not watch the video? Mercury vapor being released. Toxic period.

Your logic is flawed. Drinking water H2O that is your comparison?

www.pp.okstate.edu...

www.ilpi.com...

The element mercury is a liquid metal with a vapor pressure of 0.00185 mm at 25 degrees C. This corresponds to a saturation concentration in air of 20 milligrams of mercury per cubic meter of air or 2.4 ppm . The American Conference of Governmental Industrial Hygienists has established a threshold limit for mercury vapor of 0.05 milligrams of Hg per cubic meter of air for continuous 40 hour per week exposure. Long term chronic exposure to mercury vapor in excess of 0.05 mg Hg per cubic meter of air may result in cumulative poisoning. The use of mercury in laboratory amounts in well-ventilated areas is fairly safe; however, mercury can present a health hazard under the following circumstances:

Originally posted by SteveR

Mercury is mercury. It matters not what form it is in. Mercury is toxic.

Is drinking water like drinking hydrogen?

Think about it.

posted on Feb, 4 2007 @ 04:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by rocknroll

Current research says you are incorrect.

Well, I'm not saying you're entirely wrong, I'm just saying so far so good.
In fact, I swallowed one several years ago. Nothing happened. My dentist told me, "You'll poop it out." LOL!

Rocknroll,

Here is the issue Mercury builds up in the human body tissues, brain, nervous system, and organ. To date there is no known way to flush it from the body so years of exposure my prove significant health risks to people that are intolerant. I am by no means saying it will hurt or kill anyone, just that mercury is very dangerous to living beings in any amount.

With smoking at least the body can rid itself of the impurities but Mercury, not happening and think about how many people have it in their mouths and what the legal implications will be in the future, if the truth gets out and someone wins a landmark case.

posted on Feb, 4 2007 @ 04:16 PM
link   

Drinking water H2O that is your comparison

You're not getting the basic chemistry here. Alamgam contains mercury for sure, but it is NOT elemental mercury, it has made up a different compound and this behaves in an entirely different manner.

[edit on 4/2/07 by SteveR]

posted on Feb, 4 2007 @ 04:36 PM
link   
Well all my fillings are composite, the dentist told me that using them was easier, safer and healthier. If it's true that using them can prolong the life of the truth then i am happy to pay a little more just for that. I know my father has four crowns, two of which were done only three years after having the mercury fillings. Also the composites seem to be more aestetically pleasing, i'm not a really vain person but it seems to make sense to use them.

posted on Feb, 4 2007 @ 05:07 PM
link   
Yes it is elemental mercury there are state mandates everywhere for the proceedures on how to handle it. Trust me I know more than basic chem 101.

www.scdhec.net...

silver-colored dental fillings (amalgams) contain about 40-50 percent elemental mercury.

www.dec.state.ny.us...

Historically, dentists mixed elemental mercury with amalgam in the dental office to prepare amalgam for use as cavity filler. During the mixing process, excess mercury could easily be spilled exposing the dentist, dental assistants and patients to mercury. This practice has now been replaced by the process of using specifically measured pre-encapsulated capsules of dental amalgam that are mixed by the dentist just prior to filling a cavity. This is much more efficient, uses a specified amount of mercury, eliminates the need for storing and using additional elemental mercury by the dentist and reduces the potential for mercury spills and mercury exposure.

You're not getting the basic chemistry here. Alamgam contains mercury for sure, but it is NOT elemental mercury, it has made up a different compound and this behaves in an entirely different manner.

[edit on 4-2-2007 by Realtruth]

posted on Feb, 4 2007 @ 05:50 PM
link   
Mercury is not just mercury - the toxicity (and along the same lines, the ability of our bodies to metabolize it) varies depending on what form it takes.

The big difference that I'm aware of is between ethyl and methyl mercury.

I had to do some reading on the subject for a debate about vaccine toxicity, and we've had a number of discussions on the subject here at ATS over the last couple of years.

A quick search should turn something up.

Long story short, methyl mercury (the sort that we hear about in tuna and other fish, and industrial exposure horror stories) is not easily metabolized by the body. It builds up and results in all kinds of problems.

Ethyl Mercury, on the other hand, appears to be much more easily eliminated from the human body, and doesn't pose the same risk.

I don't know what sort of mercury is in fillings, but I thought I'd post the information in response to your comment 'mercury is mercury' - that's not quite true.

posted on Feb, 4 2007 @ 06:30 PM
link   
This is a fallacy put out by large corporations to sooth the minds of the masses.

Mercury in any form is toxic. I have done a lot of research through the years and have endless amounts of data from researchers, doctors and from universities doing independent studies on Mercury.

Here is research done by one of the leading MD/researchers/author/public speaker in the world his credentials are impeccable. Not many can refute his claims, unless you have the same background.

www.emedicine.com...

Barry Brenner, MD, PhD, FACEP, Professor of Emergency Medicine, Professor of Internal Medicine, and Professor of Anatomy and Neurobiology, Chairman, Department of Emergency Medicine, University of Arkansas for Medical Sciences

His Research States:

Mercury in any form is toxic. The difference lies in how it is absorbed, the clinical signs and symptoms, and the response to treatment modalities. Mercury poisoning can result from vapor inhalation, ingestion, injection, or absorption through the skin.

Neurologic, gastrointestinal, and renal systems are the most commonly affected organ systems in mercury exposure.

* Organic mercury - Most devastating to the CNS

o Short-chained (methylmercury) - Affects the CNS

o Long-chained - Subacute/chronic effects similar to that of inorganic mercury exposure

* Elemental mercury - Primary neurologic toxicity

* Inorganic mercury salts

o Acute - Severe corrosive gastroenteritis, acute tubular necrosis

o Subacute or chronic - GI, neurologic, and renal dysfunction

Originally posted by WyrdeOne
Mercury is not just mercury - the toxicity (and along the same lines, the ability of our bodies to metabolize it) varies depending on what form it takes.

The big difference that I'm aware of is between ethyl and methyl mercury.

I had to do some reading on the subject for a debate about vaccine toxicity, and we've had a number of discussions on the subject here at ATS over the last couple of years.

A quick search should turn something up.

Long story short, methyl mercury (the sort that we hear about in tuna and other fish, and industrial exposure horror stories) is not easily metabolized by the body. It builds up and results in all kinds of problems.

Ethyl Mercury, on the other hand, appears to be much more easily eliminated from the human body, and doesn't pose the same risk.

I don't know what sort of mercury is in fillings, but I thought I'd post the information in response to your comment 'mercury is mercury' - that's not quite true.

posted on Feb, 4 2007 @ 06:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by WyrdeOne

Elemental my Dear Watson Elemental. Read this PDF it is very informative and tells about the different kinds of mercury's. The first page contains the data on amalgam fillings and the fact that elemental mercury constitutes about 40 to 50% of the filling.

www.scdhec.net...

posted on Feb, 4 2007 @ 06:41 PM
link   

Mercury in any form is toxic.

Water is toxic, if you drink enough of it.

The key is the body's ability to eliminate/metabolize it.

Please don't misunderstand me, I wouldn't accept mercury fillings in my own mouth, and I wouldn't expose my children to that danger.

I also think we need more research from an unbiased perspective.

But as I understand it, there is a fundamental difference between different types of mercury, in the way they are processed by the human body.

posted on Feb, 4 2007 @ 06:43 PM
link   

This is a fallacy put out by large corporations to sooth the minds of the masses.

I would suggest you read up Chemistry 101. Mercury is an element on the periodic chart, when bonded to another element it forms a unique compound which becomes another chemical in it's own right.

As I said, you are not drinking hydrogen when you sip some water. As plain as it sounds, it's the same issue. Also, remember that H202 is poisonous rocket fuel.. and that's simply water with an extra oxygen atom. Form makes a great difference, thus the form that elemental mercury is in will greatly change it's toxicity and behavior.

I'm not debunking your work here. I'm concerned about my amalgam too, but we need to examine this a little more closely.

Edit: clarity.

posted on Feb, 4 2007 @ 06:54 PM
link   

I would suggest you read up Chemistry 101. Mercury is an element on the periodic chart, when bonded to another element it forms a unique compound which is another chemical in it's own right.

The form that elemental mercury is in will greatly change it's toxicity and behavior. As I said, you are not drinking hydrogen when you sip some water. As plain as it sounds, it's the same issue.

I'm not debunking your work here. I'm concerned about my amalgam too, but we need to examine this a little more closely.

Debunk my work, sorry none of it is my work. The info, links that I post are from the leaders in there field.

I am only pointing people in the direction of well known researchers in the field of Mercury Toxicity, but since you appear to know more than they do, please share your research with us all here. I will be the first to admit I was wrong about the links that I have posted.

Mercury Toxicity Article by Barry Brenner, MD, PhD, FACEP, Professor of Emergency Medicine

posted on Feb, 4 2007 @ 07:03 PM
link   
He isn't even discussing dental amalgam.

It's an article dealing with the toxicity of elemental mercury in general, and sources of such in the environment. Posting that link is meant to prove what? That elemental mercury is toxic? I already knew that.

An article by someone with plenty of letters after their name does not require suspension of thought.

Are we going to discuss the chemistry? Or are you going to fish google rabidly for anything to bolster your claims? I would highly recommend taking a class instead.

posted on Feb, 4 2007 @ 07:35 PM
link   
rocknroll - For 40-some years your body has been permeated with mercury. To you it "feels fine". You don't know what you'd feel like without that mercury impairing your experience of life.

SteveR -

You say "it is NOT elemental mercury, it has made up a different compound".

Really? And what compound would that be?

posted on Feb, 4 2007 @ 07:37 PM
link   

Are we going to discuss the chemistry? Or are you going to fish google rabidly for anything to bolster your claims? I would highly recommend taking a class instead.

Here is your first post which is completely invalid and not true. You posted no links just your words which mean really nothing if it is not backed by a proof. We don't know your credentials, but we do know that the links and research out there that dentals contain elemental mercury. I am done replying to you and you are now on ignore, since you back none of your claims up.

SteveR's First post and Claim:

I was concerned about this for a while, too. Then I found out that the alamgam is NOT elemental mercury. It's a compound made of other elements, this renders it safe, it's presumed.

Not elemental mercury? lol That's not what U.S. Environmental Protection Agency and the Agency for Toxic Substances and Disease Registry say.

EPA and Agency for Toxic Substances Report

posted on Feb, 4 2007 @ 07:45 PM
link   
Containing elemental mercury and being, solely, elemental mercury. Is an extremely different matter. With most compounds it's the difference between life and death.

There's nothing more I can say if you're only interested in fishing google and watching various amateur videos, than actually engaging some primitive scientific discussion or taking a class or two. It ruins your argument.

Oh and seeing my credentials, what do you mean? Would you like a fax?

Awaiting some proper evidence..

posted on Feb, 4 2007 @ 07:57 PM
link   
One last thing. Elemental mercury is liquid at room temperature. If your amalgam was pure mercury, why is it solid?

posted on Feb, 4 2007 @ 08:19 PM
link   
I always thought that mercury was used in preference to white fillings due to not only cost but strength. Mind you, if I had to have mine removed (when I am heavily sedated of course), I would quite like the all-white look. Black fillings are naturally unsightly.

I do have a lot of fillings, and a lot of work to be done because of my (now unfounded) fear of the dentist and I must admit that despite leaving with fixed teeth, the last time I had treatment I did not feel very well afterwards and this seemed to last a very long time..tiredness, lack of concentration. I did at the time put it down to other things but having read the evidence against this substance..hmm, I'm not sure I want it in me

[edit on 4-2-2007 by Ross Cross]

posted on Feb, 4 2007 @ 08:53 PM
link   
I have many questions about this. Most of my teeth have fillings in them, but they are all white. Are they the kinds without mercury? Also, I just had one crown put on, made of porcelain? Is that safe? On my other tooth I have a temporary aluminum crown on until my other porcelain one is done, is this safe?? I don't want toxic fillings in my mouth.

posted on Feb, 4 2007 @ 09:14 PM
link   
Everything you listed there is safe. I wouldn't let the aluminium be anything more than short-term however.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join