According the Justice Department's website, it's very easy to make a Freedom of Information Act request. All you need to do is send a notarized
letter requesting the information you want.
And contrary to the government's ridiculous position regarding 9/11, protecting the public from being traumatized, or respect for the victims'
families, is not a reason to withhold information.
Here are the exemptions permitted by the FOIA that allow the government to withhold information:
The exemptions authorize federal agencies to withhold information covering:
(1) classified national defense and foreign relations information;
(2) internal agency rules and practices;
(3) information that is prohibited from disclosure by another federal law;
(4) trade secrets and other confidential business information;
(5) inter-agency or intra-agency communications that are protected by legal privileges;
(6) information involving matters of personal privacy;
(7) records or information compiled for law enforcement purposes, to the extent that the production of those records
(A) could reasonably be expected to interfere with enforcement proceedings,
(B) would deprive a person of a right to a fair trial or an impartial adjudication,
(C) could reasonably be expected to constitute an unwarranted invasion of personal privacy,
(D) could reasonably be expected to disclose the identity of a confidential source,
(E) would disclose techniques and procedures for law enforcement investigations or prosecutions, or would disclose guidelines for law enforcement
investigations or prosecutions, or
(F) could reasonably be expected to endanger the life or physical safety of any individual;
(8) information relating to the supervision of financial institutions; and (9) geological information on wells. The three exclusions, which are rarely
used, pertain to especially sensitive law enforcement and national security matters.
Here is the link to the DOJ website where you can read how to request information.
If anybody seriously wants to get to the bottom of what happened on 9/11, I would suggest making FOIA requests for specific information that has not
been released yet. There may be people working for the government who would love for the public to learn what they know, and who are just waiting to
be asked for the information.