It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Google Earth To Blur Key India Sites

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 4 2007 @ 03:30 AM
link   
Indian government officially made an arrangement with Google to blur the country's strategic location that can be seen by the Google satellite. This is a pre cautionary measure against various insurgent group in the Country

newsinfo.inquirer.net
NEW DELHI -- Google's satellite image service will blur strategic Indian locations such as government buildings and military sites after security concerns were voiced by the country's president, a report said Sunday.

Indian President Abdul Kalam in 2005 raised security concerns about the Google Earth website, which lets users view sophisticated satellite images from around the world.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

India's move is I think could be the first publicly acknowledged concern on the dangers of what Google earth may expose. India's main concern is internal threat according to the report. But of course, the external threat is also as serious.

This leads me to questions for the U.S. maps in Google. Did the U.S. government make a formal move similar to India?
As far that I know, several sites that are rumored to be top secret military bases & other secret facilities can still be seen by Google earth.

posted on Feb, 4 2007 @ 09:59 AM
link   
I hope that they know that Google Earth it's not the only service that uses commercially available satellite images.

They should contact the enterprises that sell those photos, not the enterprises that buy them.

posted on Feb, 4 2007 @ 10:33 AM
link   
i see very little to be gained by this , it is IMHO a classic case of " we must be seen to be doing something "

if i were sitting in a " sensetive location " in india , and feared an " insurgent " attack - the knowledge that the precise ground roof plan etc cannot be downloaded by " insurgents " would not make me feel any safer

google earth imagery is 6 months to 4 years old - so it can hardly be used to target tactical objectives and PGM strikes

insurgent groups often attempt to recruit 5th collumist sympathisers - who will supply recce info - plus steal things lkie fire drill maps

also blurring the roof plan - does not deter motoar attack or car bomb / suicide infiltrator

most insurgent munitions are of poor accuracy - and can only be fired " in the direction of a building " - not to target a specific sector

a case in point is the IRA attacks on army bases / police stations in Ulster - they never had [ to the best of my knowledge ] detailed schemativs ] but were able to bomb several bases none the less

they also mounted a motar attack targeting downing street

they never had google earth aids ? why will indian isurgents be hampered by a lack of google ?

often it is of little consequence what damage was done , all that matters is that a public strike was made against a supposedly secure location

terorists have taken another step towards winning if they force the govt to cower and hide

posted on Feb, 4 2007 @ 12:36 PM
link   
I fail to see the purpose of this. If anything it draws further attention to the sites they are attempting to hide. I find this this type of censorship to be completely ineffective. Please observe the following sentence:

This idea is dumb as ****.

The word is covered up, but you know exactly where it is, it stands out more prominently than the words around it, and from the context, you can figure out exactly what word it is. What is to stop India's enemies from doing the same? Are they bone.s? Please forgive my circumvention of the censor, I am merely trying to illustrate my point.

India would be much better served IMHO by adopting a formula of disguise and deception. Make your missile silos look like farm houses, make your farm houses look like missile silos; have your opponent look at your left hand so he doesn't see the rock you hold in your right.

posted on Feb, 4 2007 @ 01:09 PM
link   
For what it's worth as far as I know two sites in the US are blurred on English GE. West Chester regional airport (41 4 1 N, 73 42 27 W) in White Plains NY and Francis Gabreski regional airport (40 50 29.03 N, 72 37 48.41 W).

And it's not an anomaly either, the blurring follows the perimeter of both airports neatly and no other adjacent areas are blurred. It makes no sense to me, JFK and Newark are not blurred, even military instillations are not blurred. So why some obscure regional airport?

posted on Feb, 4 2007 @ 01:20 PM
link   
Makes you wonder what's going on there, eh Westpoint? Just goes to show that this policy is rather counterproductive. Unless of course there is nothing going on there and they want us to think there is!

[edit on 4-2-2007 by Orwells Ghost]

posted on Feb, 4 2007 @ 11:19 PM
link   
I am not really sure on wheter a google map of a certain country can actually expose some sensitive information.

Assuming that the would be terrorist is indeed planning an attack on a certain facilty. They will gather all available necesarry data that they can get to give them more details of the target. So I think a google map is still may have importance for such an attack. And there may be nothing wrong having & using it as additional reference for their plan.

[edit on 4-2-2007 by searching_for_truth]

posted on Feb, 5 2007 @ 01:34 AM
link   
Also in DC, there is a huge radius blurred just northwest of the Lincoln Memorial along Massachussetes Avenue.

[edit on 2/5/2007 by DYepes]

[edit on 2/5/2007 by DYepes]

new topics

top topics

join