It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What is ATS run on?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 3 2007 @ 10:28 PM
link   
Hi,

Just out of interest I would like to know what ATS is currently run on, if anyone knows not just skeptic or forum staff but all members feel free to add. I am a sucker for technology

I am interested in:

The hardware / machines what runs x & y.
OS, software, and relevant custom code.
network environment and equipment, bandwidth and ISP

any or all if possible

And please (I know most people wont do this) but DO NOT post anything that will be potentially harmful to ATS i.e security vunerabilities / flaws etc. I do not condone this activity nor do I want to instigate it.

Cheers

P.S. Is there an independant statistical page for ATS domains available for members?

[edit on 3-2-2007 by Selmer2]

posted on Feb, 3 2007 @ 10:33 PM
link   
From what I've read, it's Linux/Apache/PHP/mySQL. I think Apache/PHP is on one machine and the database on another.

I think they are dual Xeon machines

SkepticOverlord would be the best to answer this more specifically.

posted on Feb, 3 2007 @ 10:50 PM
link   
Actually there is a thread here somewhere, describing the most recent server upgrade.

Try doing a search. It was in the last maybe four months.

posted on Feb, 3 2007 @ 11:07 PM
link   
Primary servers are three "enterprise class" dual dual-core 2.8 GHz Opteron servers with hot-swap raid and power supplies. The database server has 8 Gig of ram, the primary (ATS-only) server also has 8 gigs, and the secondary (everything else) server has 4 gigs.

The site is a mash-up of custom code, most of it is refined for a very-high traffic board.

Our monthly bandwidth block with our hosting is 6 terrabytes, we use about 2.3 per month on average (2.8 last month).

And, we're close to needing an upgrade.

posted on Feb, 3 2007 @ 11:16 PM
link   
And besides what S. O. said, I hear rumors that it also runs on a couple cans of...

Sorry, couldn't help myself.

edit = resize image.

[edit on 2/3/2007 by Mechanic 32]

posted on Feb, 3 2007 @ 11:18 PM
link   
And to think, I thought ATS ran on love.

posted on Feb, 3 2007 @ 11:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by Majic
And to think, I thought ATS ran on love.

Oh. Oh yeah, a bit of that too.

posted on Feb, 4 2007 @ 12:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by SkepticOverlord
Primary servers are three "enterprise class" dual dual-core 2.8 GHz Opteron servers with hot-swap raid and power supplies. The database server has 8 Gig of ram, the primary (ATS-only) server also has 8 gigs, and the secondary (everything else) server has 4 gigs.

The site is a mash-up of custom code, most of it is refined for a very-high traffic board.

Our monthly bandwidth block with our hosting is 6 terrabytes, we use about 2.3 per month on average (2.8 last month).

omg your bandwidth is bigger than the grand canyon, although I was guessing a few terra.

old equipment = ATS folding farm!

[edit on 4-2-2007 by Selmer2]

posted on Feb, 4 2007 @ 01:23 AM
link   
Is the board still run on (highly modified, of course) XMB forum software? From what I read on the XMB site, I thought it was at one time.

posted on Feb, 4 2007 @ 03:25 PM
link   
I heard it was run on the hopes and dreams of internet users everywhere, but its just rumors.

posted on Feb, 4 2007 @ 06:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by SkepticOverlord

Skeptic, would it be cheaper to do a google and cluster the ATS only machine with a few low cost machines?

Then I guess you don't need the hot swapable drives and power.

Then again it could be a bad idea since I have no experience in IT

posted on Feb, 4 2007 @ 06:41 PM
link   
isn't the question.

Originally posted by Selmer2
... would it be cheaper to do a google and cluster the ATS only machine with a few low cost machines?

The hardware required is insignificant, it's the Clustering /Load Balancing software cost, installation, configuration and ongoing maintenance that's So ... uhm ... Costly?

@ enterprise levels, it's certainly no drop in the bucket, mind you.
It's more   The Bucket.

Gotta spare 8-10K collecting dust?

$.02

[edit on 4-2-2007 by 12m8keall2c]

posted on Feb, 4 2007 @ 07:15 PM
link