It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why isnt Jesus, an Arab?

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 16 2007 @ 05:40 PM
link   

He followed Jewish law, including maintaining short hair.

Not necessarily! Remember Jesus was a Nazorean (No, not a town in Palestine - but a certain Tribe of Jews)! The Nazoreans were known for keeping their Hair LONG as well as their (obviously) Rebellious Natures.

posted on Feb, 20 2007 @ 06:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by Seraphim_Serpente

He followed Jewish law, including maintaining short hair.

Not necessarily! Remember Jesus was a Nazorean (No, not a town in Palestine - but a certain Tribe of Jews)! The Nazoreans were known for keeping their Hair LONG as well as their (obviously) Rebellious Natures.

i don't really care what the man looked like, he died for us and thats all that matters.

posted on Oct, 27 2008 @ 08:42 AM
link   
being jewish...means ur making him related to a certain religion
but that doesn't mean he's not arabic..arabic is a race...jewish is a religion
so y not an arab jew?
I dunno y ppl draw him blonde and white...he's not

im arab

posted on Oct, 28 2008 @ 07:53 AM
link   
I was bored, and went through an entire thread that's over 2 years old. So sue me

Lots of very weird and incorrect information seems to have showed up. For example, using the term 'Hebrews' as a race or ethnic group. If we take the biblical view of things (which I think Runetag summed up pretty well a few pages back), to be Hebrew means to be of the sons of Eber, which then does in fact include Arabs. So saying that Arabs and Hebrews are considered different racial groups is not really true in any sense of the statement.

The term Arab dates back to more that 800 years before the birth of Christ, so they definitely did exist back then. It is not something that magically popped up in the 6th century AD.

Considering the racial mix present in the area where Jesus was born at the time, I'm not sure anybody could tell for certain what Jesus's ethnicity was. While we have (two perhaps contradictory?) lists with detailed genealogy, who is to say whether one scholar decides whether one person is African (Bathsheba?), or one person is Arab, or anything else?
Once again, if we take the traditional scriptural view of it, since Arabs consider themselves descendants of Ishmael, Jesus could not be Arab (unless, of course, someone further down the list could be considered Arab). Now if you are talking in terms of racial groups, then I'm not sure how much of a difference there would be in someone descended from Ishmael and someone descended from Isaac back then...enough to claim another ethnicity? I hope not- because then it just gets silly.

Another thing that strikes me as odd is how everyone tries postulating about Jesus's life from the history of that time, those people, or that geographical location. While it is true that there isn't really all that much of that sort of detail given about him in the scripture, that doesn't mean he'd be exactly as normal as everyone else. Just because a Rabbi of that time would have been married doesn't mean he would have been. Just because people of that time and place didn't usually keep long hair, doesn't mean he wouldn't have. I'm not saying any one thing is the truth, just that it is impossible to find out.

Also, out of curiousity, what's with the fork-beard Jesus? From where did that originate? Because its damn freaky

[edit on 28-10-2008 by babloyi]

posted on Oct, 28 2008 @ 08:04 AM
link   
i don't think the paintings of him make him look white, at least, not the ones i saw growing up. mom told me about the painting of jesus we had when i was a child. it was on our wall in our living room. then she took me shopping one day and i saw a black man who was dressing a mannequin in a store window. i had never seen a black man in person before that, so my reaction was interesting. i got all excited and said, LOOK MOM IT'S JESUS! suffice it to say, he wasn't impressed.
everyone turned to see what i was pointing at. i thought it was a momentous occassion.

anyway, that's the impression the painting gave me. course mom and dad were pretty fair skinned, so anyone darker than us, would've probably had a similar appearance to the painting in my eyes, as a child.

posted on Oct, 28 2008 @ 08:07 AM
link   
reply to post by babloyi

The difference here is Ishmal and Issac........one hebrew the other egyptian...........and Hebrew is derived from habiru a slang word used by egyptians that was not rather nice............

posted on Oct, 28 2008 @ 10:58 AM
link   
reply to post by heliosprime

The root of the term Hebrew is in both Eber as well as Hapiru. Even Abraham is referred to as ivri (which is the singular form of Ivrim, or Ibrim= Hebrew) in the Bible.

Since Abraham was Hebrew, it is silly to say that Isaac was Hebrew and Ishmael was Egyptian. Even if one insists on using 'Hebrews' as an ethnic label, one cannot escape the fact that BOTH Ishmael and Isaac were 'hebrews'.

posted on Oct, 28 2008 @ 01:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by babloyi

Since Abraham was Hebrew, it is silly to say that Isaac was Hebrew and Ishmael was Egyptian. Even if one insists on using 'Hebrews' as an ethnic label, one cannot escape the fact that BOTH Ishmael and Isaac were 'hebrews'.

Different mothers make them different........in hebrew tradition and still followed in Jewish traditions even today.......one can not be "jewish" unless the mother is jewsih........

Ishmal was eqyption......

posted on Oct, 28 2008 @ 02:03 PM
link   
reply to post by heliosprime

Now you are getting stuck in technicalities. By your definition, then, Jesus is not a Jew, by testimony of his own lineage!

Judah didn't marry a jew, Joseph didn't marry a jew, Moses didn't marry a jew, David didn't marry a jew, and Solomon married whoever he liked! The stump of Jesse has been attacked by termites.

Anyhow, your argument is anachronistic, because at the time of Abraham, there was no such thing as a jew! We were talking about 'hebrews', I believe. For further proof, it may interest you to note that Ishmael was circumcised- he was part of the covenant- the eternal covenant that defined the Jewish people.

posted on Oct, 28 2008 @ 05:01 PM
link   
reply to post by rocknroll

Amen to that! We all need to remember to be Christ's example in this world.

posted on Oct, 28 2008 @ 05:31 PM
link   
The Arabs and Jews are the same race.

Science Daily Article

BBC News Link

"Jew" is more of a religion than a separate race of people. They share a great great grandfather.

Jesus was a Jewish Arab.

posted on Oct, 28 2008 @ 05:31 PM
link   
I think I am confused what the topic is now. But the fact is Jesus was born a Jew. But he didn't follow Jewish tradition because he was setting up the real path to salvation. Himself. Jesus was not white, but probably dark skin of some type. The white pics you see of Jesus are from America in a white nation that is no longer white. But here the question I like to point out. Why does it matter what skin type Jesus was????? Jesus didnt just come for the dark skin or the white, nor just the Jew or none believer. Its better to take time in God's word and preaching than to worry about Jesus's skin type? Its one of the question that some ask me that I think is one of the stupid questions. Why does it Matter????? Lol in anycase God bless and God with his spirit.

posted on Jan, 30 2009 @ 10:47 PM
link   
The Hebrews in the Old & New testament were often mistaken for Egyptian including Moses and Paul. In the book of ACTS Paul was mistaken for Egyptian. Egyptians were most definitely a far cry from White. It' just sad that people are still so attached to a White-Anglo image of the Messiah. Let it go. It is a historically inaccurate myth based on White superiority. By the way, the "White" Jews you see today are Ashkenazis A.K.A European Jews. Their culture & bloodline has been heavily Europeanized. No disrespect, just a fact. My Ashkenazi friends would agree.
SHALOM!!
BRUTHA WAR

posted on Jan, 31 2009 @ 01:13 AM
link   
Jesus spoke Aramaic. My mum is Maronite Lebanese, the Maronites refer to themself as Pheonicians or Canaanites and refuse to call themself Arabs. The Arabic language didn't come about until after the 4th century and their ancestry goes back to before that period.

That is probably why Jesus isn't an Arab either.

posted on Jan, 31 2009 @ 01:22 AM
link   
reply to post by Agit8dChop

Jesus was born of the house of king David, Mary was of royal Jewish blood, he's Jewish it's clearly stated, half God half Jewish human, all God.
You can't even prove he exists with physical evidence today, the shroud of turin is an ancient hoax, do you really think you can prove any details about him though? His existance has drastically effected human history though, you have to admit that.

posted on Jan, 31 2009 @ 01:49 AM
link   
reply to post by Razimus

It is Joseph who was traced back to King David.

Joseph technically wasn't Jesus' father so Jesus can't inherit his blood line. That is why the Jews do not believe that he is the Massiah.

posted on Jan, 31 2009 @ 09:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by wellwhatnow
Consider a few hypothetical examples:

If Jesus had been black and had always been pictured that way, do you think that African-Americans would have suffered so much violence and segregation in the US? Would there have had to be a civil rights movement at all?

If Jesus had been Arabic and had always been pictured that way, do you think we would handle Iraq the same way we are now? Would we have tortured the detainees at Guantanamo?

Let's consider another hypothetical situation...

Lets say Jesus was a Jew and had always been pictured that way, do you think the holocaust would have happened...
...Oh wait...that's not hypothetical, that's what happened.

I don't think it matters how he is portrayed because people are evil and they will ultimately do evil things regardless.

Here's a thought though...

Maybe God specifically chose the Jewish nation because they have a medium complexion. That way both white and black cultures can embrace him.

posted on Jan, 31 2009 @ 09:39 AM
link   
i think it would be cool if jesus appeared black to white people and white to black people and so on.
race was only truly important for the lineage of the messiah. after that, it became (as did gender) nearly inconsequential

[edit on 31-1-2009 by undo]

posted on Jan, 31 2009 @ 11:52 AM
link   
races according to the book of gates, as inscribed into seti i's alabaster sarcophagus

the one depicting israelites is called orientals by modern day egyptologists but sure looks like israeli dress from that time frame, right down to the patterns on the material and the fringes (oriental sheepherders? lol sorry lol )
img50.imageshack.us...

[edit on 31-1-2009 by undo]

posted on Feb, 24 2009 @ 03:49 PM
link   
According to this article, Jesus was an Arab.

archives.cnn.com...

It also explains why the Jews killed him.

After 2000+ years, the Jews are still at it. Killing Arabs.....

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7 >>

join