It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why isnt Jesus, an Arab?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 3 2007 @ 05:01 PM
link   
www.archaeology.org...

The town of Bethlehem in the West Bank, some six miles south of Jerusalem, is revered by millions as the birthplace of Jesus

Im sure there's a good explanation 'someone' can give me,

But from what I understand, Palestine is an ARAB land.

Jesus was born in Palestine, so wouldnt he be a dark skinned arab?

whats with all the whiteskinnned portraits?

posted on Feb, 3 2007 @ 07:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by Agit8dChop
www.archaeology.org...

The town of Bethlehem in the West Bank, some six miles south of Jerusalem, is revered by millions as the birthplace of Jesus

Im sure there's a good explanation 'someone' can give me,

But from what I understand, Palestine is an ARAB land.

Jesus was born in Palestine, so wouldnt he be a dark skinned arab?

whats with all the whiteskinnned portraits?

In the time of Jesus, Israel was jewish land. Jesus christ would have been dark complicted but he would have been jewish, not arabic. I would imagine that he would have been olive colored, but what makes the difference? He lived in the desert!

Even the roman portraits, which were fairly contemporary with the time of Jesus Christ, show him having brown hair and brown eyes.

I have to ask, what were you trying to accomplish with this post agit8d?

Oh! of course, there is the old archie bunker joke, "Jesus was a jew" "Only on his mother's side!"

posted on Feb, 3 2007 @ 07:06 PM
link   
not really acomplish anything,

but i remember seeing a report ages back , they showed a picutre of what they believed jesus 'really' looked like.

and yes, he had olive skin, scruffy dark hair and eyes, IE Arab.

And being he was born in palestine ' westbank ' I immediaetly thought to todays palestines.

I might look into the history of the area, and see what sort of population % of the westbank in say 30bc - 30ad were white/dark.

Im no fan of the vatican, or there past occurances, and wouldnt put it past them ensuring jesus was always seen as a stereotypical 'whiteman'... especially with the crusuades in mind.

posted on Feb, 3 2007 @ 07:24 PM
link   

The Jews and Arabs maybe closely related, but there are differences. Hebrews are not Arabic, yet they share common linguistics. They are considered different racial groups.

posted on Feb, 3 2007 @ 07:43 PM
link   

Tim Wise, progressive writer from Nashville, Tennessee points out that the earliest representations of Jesus, Mary, and Christ's disciples appear in the catacombs of Rome, where the first Christians, known as Essenes buried their dead. All of these portrayals show a dark-skinned Messiah. In addition, the Roman Empire under Emperor Justinian II minted a gold coin that pictured Jesus. This coin, which today can be viewed in the British Museum, shows a man with clearly non-white facial features and tightly curled hair, consistent with the description of Christ in the Book of Revelations, wherein it is stated that Jesus had hair like wool, feet the colour of burnt brass, and resembled jasper and sardine stones: both of which were brown in colour.

I might have to check these catacombes out in rome.

posted on Feb, 3 2007 @ 07:47 PM
link   
Most Jews were forced out of Israel/Judea/Palestine by the Roman Empire not that long after Jesus' death.

Only then did Arabs move into the area.

edit:

I should also add that there are a lot of Arab Christians scattered throughout the Middle East but especially in Lebanon, Israel and Egypt. Islam didn't start until the 6th - 7th century.

[edit on 2/3/2007 by djohnsto77]

posted on Feb, 3 2007 @ 08:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by XphilesPhan

The Jews and Arabs maybe closely related, but there are differences. Hebrews are not Arabic, yet they share common linguistics. They are considered different racial groups.

What you say is true, but rather odd, since they (israel and ishmael) both had the same father and i would guess their mothers were of the same race also.
Started out with the same god, too.

posted on Feb, 3 2007 @ 08:22 PM
link   
the hebrews back then looked nothing like the hebrews of today

ancient hebrews looked different, actually, the looked like THIS

actually, that's a composite to show how the average male hebrew in the region of palestine looked

from my travels, the people that most look like that live in egypt...
so, arab would fit

though, there is the POSSIBILITY that "jesus" could have been black

(i'm simply postulating that "jesus" existed for this post, of course)

posted on Feb, 3 2007 @ 09:17 PM
link   
Jesus was born a Jew. God specifically chose the Jewish people to fulfill His plan of redemption and provide a Savior through. Therefore if the Jews wanted to.....although most would rather not.....they could say "He looks like us."
I would imagine he had brown hair, brown eyes, a fairly decent tan from walking about, and was fit (he was a carpenter). He was most likely a very ethnic looking Jew.

posted on Feb, 3 2007 @ 09:26 PM
link   
I'm sure I heard somewhere that Jesus, as we in the west know him to look, was based upon the likeness of Julius Caesar; looking around a little, I can find nothing to back that up. Still, I thought I'd throw it out there.

It seems that his appearance depends on where in the world you happen to be.

Different societies have depicted Jesus and most other biblical figures as their own ethnicity in their art, for example he is primarily white in the West, and black in Africa.

Source.

His appearance is of course completely irrelevant, and it is his message which is important. However, all it takes is a cursory glance around the world in which we inhabit today to see that the message has long been forgotten.

[edit on 3/2/07 by Implosion]

posted on Feb, 3 2007 @ 09:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by Implosion
His appearance is of course completely irrelevant, and it is his message which is important.

Great point!

posted on Feb, 3 2007 @ 09:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by rocknroll

Originally posted by Implosion
His appearance is of course completely irrelevant, and it is his message which is important.

Great point!

yes, this is true. It is only our bickering amongst ousrselves that would even make us wonder something like this. His message is what we should be listening too

Originally posted by rocknroll
Jesus was born a Jew. God specifically chose the Jewish people to fulfill His plan of redemption and provide a Savior through. Therefore if the Jews wanted to.....although most would rather not.....they could say "He looks like us."
I would imagine he had brown hair, brown eyes, a fairly decent tan from walking about, and was fit (he was a carpenter). He was most likely a very ethnic looking Jew.

Thats pretty much how I would view him. It doesnt really matter though, I mean, we could get to heavan and find out he was chinese, would it really make a difference?

posted on Feb, 3 2007 @ 10:04 PM
link   
I think his appearance is completely relevant.

Consider a few hypothetical examples:

If Jesus had been black and had always been pictured that way, do you think that African-Americans would have suffered so much violence and segregation in the US? Would there have had to be a civil rights movement at all?

If Jesus had been Arabic and had always been pictured that way, do you think we would handle Iraq the same way we are now? Would we have tortured the detainees at Guantanamo?

Jesus' message was indeed important, but a stained-glass picture could be worth a thousand messages.

posted on Feb, 3 2007 @ 10:18 PM
link   
Keep in mind that we are talking about a person who lived some 2,000 years ago. In elementary school I remember learning that while people evole over the million-year scale, physical changes occur in much less time. For example, people were shorter on average in the middle ages than today. Knowing this, it isn't difficult to imagine Jesus could be much different than what we have settled on.

posted on Feb, 3 2007 @ 10:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by wellwhatnow
Jesus' message was indeed important, but a stained-glass picture could be worth a thousand messages.

that is a great point

sure, his appearance is completely irrelevant in terms of theology and religion
but humanity still clings to the irrelevant
we tend to make the most out of trivial things

to quote the 13th Apostle Rufus in Dogma

White folks only wanna hear the good [stuff] — life eternal, a place in God's Heaven - but as soon as you hear that you're gettin' all this good [stuff] from a black Savior, you freak. And that, my friends, is called hypocrisy. A black man can steal your stereo, but he can't be your Savior.

and that is actually a fairly legitmate point in a great deal of the USA

posted on Feb, 3 2007 @ 10:24 PM
link   
If God made Mary pregnant through immaculate conception then Jesus was only 1/2 Jewish. He was 1/2 something else since Joseph wasn't his real father.

posted on Feb, 3 2007 @ 10:32 PM
link   

It could be if taken in isolation, however, I would have thought that those taking an interest in Jesus and his appearance would also stumble over his teachings.

The Parable of the Good Samaritan immediately springs to mind.

It is important to note that Samaritans were despised by the story's target audience, the Jews. The Samaritans were also largely taught by their interpretation of history to hate Jews. Thus the parable, as told originally, had a significant theme of non-discrimination and interracial harmony.

This surely states that compassion is for all, not just fellow members of your own creed/tribe/clique. Taken in this context, I fail to see how appearance becomes important.

posted on Feb, 3 2007 @ 10:51 PM
link   
Jesus was not an arab because he was not human.

He was an anthropomorphism of the amanita muscaria and our sun!

Source:
www.johnallegro.org...

posted on Feb, 3 2007 @ 11:35 PM
link   

I think his appearance is completely relevant.

Consider a few hypothetical examples:

If Jesus had been black and had always been pictured that way, do you think that African-Americans would have suffered so much violence and segregation in the US? Would there have had to be a civil rights movement at all?

If Jesus had been Arabic and had always been pictured that way, do you think we would handle Iraq the same way we are now? Would we have tortured the detainees at Guantanamo?

I agree,
If jesus is indeed dark skinned, then thousands of years of history and paintings are wrong.
The whole balance of race would be different.

It would really rock the foundations of christianity and religion.
I mean fair enough, if the message and meaning is all you care for.. then seeing a arab on the cross while you prey to it shouldnt affect you...

but i stirnly believe that it would unsettle quite a few..

If it is indeed true, then obviously the message didnt mean anything to popes or religous figures of the past..being they kept up with the charade of a white, anglo jesus.

posted on Feb, 3 2007 @ 11:45 PM
link   
I think this discussion is very relevant, i get disgusted when I'm praying/communing with God/Jesus and I get this false western image of Jesus in my head.
Could this not be argued that this is Satan using the age old tactic of disinformation? Or just exploiting mans own ego.
EDIT-Of course I mean satan working through man, if that makes sense to anyone.

My first post! Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!

[edit on 3-2-2007 by TheInformer]

[edit on 3-2-2007 by TheInformer]

<<   2  3  4 >>

join