It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

 

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

 

Macs, Mac users, and Apple

page: 1
0

log in

join
share:

posted on Feb, 3 2007 @ 03:59 PM
link   
Okay I hope I don't offend anyone with this rant but this is something thats getting on my nerves.

How come every Mac user I've ever met has been really smug, arrogant, and annoying? As in they always point out that they use a Macintosh, rub it in your face, tell you how much "better" it is than Windows/Linux, etc.

Its not really the Mac products I have a problem with mainly (I don't like the setup of Mac operating systems personally but they are still decent products), but mainly the users as I've stated above and also Apple itself. They think too highly of their products which are strictly average.

What do I always hear from Mac users? "Macs get less viruses." They only get less viruses because few people bother making viruses for a computer only 5-10% of people use. If you use Windows and have a good anti-virus program and are as good with computers as I am you can keep viruses out of your system. I'm actually able to hunt down and destroy simple viruses myself without the aid of an anti-virus program.

Its just in my experience Macs seem to be geared towards everyday people but Windows is geared towards people who are decently experienced with computers. This is why Mac users tend to say Macs crash less than Windows; they crash less because Macintosh is more forgiving of your mistakes. Unless your using Windows ME (which was rushed into production and extremely unstable) than your crashes are the result of you screwing with your computer or severe incompatibility issues. In my old Windows 2000 and my "new" Windows XP that I've had since May of 2005 I have not gotten the blue screen of death once.

Now lets talk about Apple themselves; to put it frankly, Steve jobs is an arrogant prick. When they revealed the new IPhone he actively badmouthed all other phones available and MP3 players. This is more arrogant than Microsoft ever was. Not to mention they overprice their products because they know that they can depend on their cult-like fanbase to purchase anything just because its made by Apple.

Its because of all this I refuse to buy anything made by Apple and put any Apple software on my computer. Its also the reason I got a Zune for Christmas.


[edit on 2/3/2007 by Kacen]




posted on Feb, 6 2007 @ 10:58 AM
link   
Cant stand apple personally, anyone else remember when apple was a swear word for everytime your computer ****ed up?
IMHO this is the only thing Ipods are good for...


[edit on 6/2/07 by C ROBERTSON]



posted on Feb, 7 2007 @ 11:55 AM
link   
Macs suck, wanna know why?

Try to go out and build yourself a custom Mac. Good luck, 'cause you can't.

Try and fix a broken piece of hardware in your Mac. You can't!

Let's dual boot with Linux and still play all our PC based games. Can't!

Fact of the matter is that PCs give you freedom, the freedom to do whatever you want to your computer. Macs just cost a lot and look pretty.


Macintosh is the idiot's Linux



posted on Feb, 7 2007 @ 12:05 PM
link   
The replies so far in this thread are extremely disappointing.

I have owned Apples since 1984 and with the exception of one UltraSPARC Sun I have, they are the only computers I have ever bought.

Mac OS X is now a totally great environment for everyone! Programmers love it because it's UNIX based and provides all the UNIX development tools (for free), plus it runs business software such as Microsoft Office, and we also have plenty of great games. Plus, it has the easy to use Mac interface that is far more user friendly than Windows. The new features added Windows Vista operating system are basically just poor copies of the features Mac OS has had for years now.

People dissing the Mac as an idiot's computer are the only idiots here. Remember SkepticOverlord is a Mac user and has developed most of the code of ATS on his Mac.



posted on Feb, 7 2007 @ 12:18 PM
link   
Macs work, sure, I mean now that they've made it so you can run Microsoft programs and what not. But there's more to a computer than it's software capabilities.

What if you need to upgrade a video or sound card on your Mac? What if you want to add a second hard drive? Maybe you want to upgrade the CPU, or you popped something on the motherboard and need to replace it. Hell, even if you open up your Mac just to replace a wire, you void your warranty.

Macs can now do whatever a PC can do as far as software, but YOU can't do as much to a Mac as you can to a PC. It's great that the Mac OS is based off Unix, but I had that back when it was called UNIX. Linux is based off Unix and it's free, you could just cannibalize a few old PCs, install Linux and you'd have a Unix based OS on a machine that can do everything a PC can do, FOR FREE!

Not to mention that I can emulate an archaic version of a PC and still run games and programs that are 10-15 years old or more.

People like Macs because you can pop 'em out of the box and start downloading bad music to your Ipod.

Real geek types like PCs because of the ways you can mess with them, and how, with the right knowledge you can have one for free. Hell, you can do one better and get paid to fix 'em.

Edit: Besides, coding on a Mac is the same as coding on a PC, all you need is a text editor really. The computer hardly does anything and it's just your browser that makes it look the way it does. ATS is just a long text file

[edit on 7-2-2007 by Shadowflux]



posted on Feb, 7 2007 @ 01:27 PM
link   
Hey anyone ken if Blendtec have a blender big enough to blend an entire apple mac?
Will it Blend people? That is the Question!


[edit on 7/2/07 by C ROBERTSON]



posted on Feb, 7 2007 @ 02:19 PM
link   
It's completely untrue that Macs aren't upgradable. Every current Mac has user upgradable RAM (including the notebooks), and the high end models have had slots that accept any type of upgrade card imaginable since the Macintosh II years and years ago. The current Mac Pro has PCIX slots and most cards that work on the PC also work in it.



posted on Feb, 7 2007 @ 08:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by Shadowflux
Macs work, sure, I mean now that they've made it so you can run Microsoft programs and what not. But there's more to a computer than it's software capabilities.

What if you need to upgrade a video or sound card on your Mac? What if you want to add a second hard drive? Maybe you want to upgrade the CPU, or you popped something on the motherboard and need to replace it. Hell, even if you open up your Mac just to replace a wire, you void your warranty.

Macs can now do whatever a PC can do as far as software, but YOU can't do as much to a Mac as you can to a PC. It's great that the Mac OS is based off Unix, but I had that back when it was called UNIX. Linux is based off Unix and it's free, you could just cannibalize a few old PCs, install Linux and you'd have a Unix based OS on a machine that can do everything a PC can do, FOR FREE!

Not to mention that I can emulate an archaic version of a PC and still run games and programs that are 10-15 years old or more.

People like Macs because you can pop 'em out of the box and start downloading bad music to your Ipod.

Real geek types like PCs because of the ways you can mess with them, and how, with the right knowledge you can have one for free. Hell, you can do one better and get paid to fix 'em.

Edit: Besides, coding on a Mac is the same as coding on a PC, all you need is a text editor really. The computer hardly does anything and it's just your browser that makes it look the way it does. ATS is just a long text file

[edit on 7-2-2007 by Shadowflux]


Epic post. I couldn't agree more.

And for those of you defending Macs you cannot deny the smugness of Apple and the smugness of many Mac users. Did I say Macs were terrible products? No.

[edit on 2/7/2007 by Kacen]



posted on Feb, 9 2007 @ 04:07 PM
link   
I found a video iPod in the back of a taxi and decided to fix it up.

I thought to myself: "Hey, maybe this iPod will make me change my mind about Macs, maybe they aren't so bad after all."

A few hours of aggrevation later I realized that Macs, and Mac products suck, they always will. If you've grown up with a PC, or you happen to be very computer literate, you won't like Macs.

The iPod has so many issues with it, you can only play one file type for movies, you have to synch it to the home computer all the time etc etc.

You're better off getting a Zen Vision which happens to play all sorts of file types and does everything the iPod does minus the aggrevation.

Zens are made by Creative, which used to make Soundblaster......for PCs!!!!



posted on Feb, 10 2007 @ 05:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by Shadowflux
I found a video iPod in the back of a taxi and decided to fix it up.

I thought to myself: "Hey, maybe this iPod will make me change my mind about Macs, maybe they aren't so bad after all."

A few hours of aggrevation later I realized that Macs, and Mac products suck, they always will. If you've grown up with a PC, or you happen to be very computer literate, you won't like Macs.

The iPod has so many issues with it, you can only play one file type for movies, you have to synch it to the home computer all the time etc etc.

You're better off getting a Zen Vision which happens to play all sorts of file types and does everything the iPod does minus the aggrevation.

Zens are made by Creative, which used to make Soundblaster......for PCs!!!!


Completely agree, cant stand ipods. i have a Zen mp3 - Creative rule!



posted on Feb, 10 2007 @ 09:18 AM
link   
Apple and many mac owners are smug as hell.
They seem to think they are members of an exclusive club, and
often refer to PC users as "Micro$laves"

But, I have a mac, and I really like it. I does everything I ask it to, and never crashed.
No "blue screen of death".

PC users often use the "I can't tinker with it" argument as to why macs suck.
What I wonder is why you constantly need to tinker with PCs?
Why didn't you just do some research and get the computer that
serves your needs? I mean, if you want graphics, why not just get a machine with the beefy graphics card in the first place?
Or is it less "upgrade" and more "repair"?

I have an ipod, too. It also works great. Five days of music in my pocket.
There's replacement ipod software available called "Rockbox".
A lot of people seem to like this better then the original ipod software.

There's no need to be smug about what computer you own.
It's all 1's and 0's in the end.



posted on Mar, 22 2007 @ 08:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by Shadowflux
Macs suck, wanna know why?

Try to go out and build yourself a custom Mac. Good luck, 'cause you can't.

Try and fix a broken piece of hardware in your Mac. You can't!

Let's dual boot with Linux and still play all our PC based games. Can't!

Fact of the matter is that PCs give you freedom, the freedom to do whatever you want to your computer. Macs just cost a lot and look pretty.


Macintosh is the idiot's Linux



I can own this entire post.

The Mac Pro is the server/desktop produced by Apple. It is FULLY customizable. You can add up to 4 hard disks up to 750G (the highest capacity hard disk on the market), 2 processors, and 16 GHz of SDRAM. You can also change out the graphics card and I/O board. It may be a tad expensive, but good things aren't cheap
.

Second, any broken hardware on your Mac can be fixed either by you, or by a certified Apple Technician, free of charge if you bought the Protection plan for cheap.


Not only can you dual boot with Windows or Linux, but there is a program known as Crossover, where you can run Windows applications natively on Mac OS X without having to have a version of Windows.

I've already played CounterStrike: Source on my iMac.




THR

[edit on 3/22/2007 by TheRanchMan]



posted on Mar, 22 2007 @ 08:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by djohnsto77
The replies so far in this thread are extremely disappointing.

I have owned Apples since 1984 and with the exception of one UltraSPARC Sun I have, they are the only computers I have ever bought.

Mac OS X is now a totally great environment for everyone! Programmers love it because it's UNIX based and provides all the UNIX development tools (for free), plus it runs business software such as Microsoft Office, and we also have plenty of great games. Plus, it has the easy to use Mac interface that is far more user friendly than Windows. The new features added Windows Vista operating system are basically just poor copies of the features Mac OS has had for years now.

People dissing the Mac as an idiot's computer are the only idiots here. Remember SkepticOverlord is a Mac user and has developed most of the code of ATS on his Mac.


Amen.



posted on Mar, 22 2007 @ 08:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by Shadowflux
I found a video iPod in the back of a taxi and decided to fix it up.

I thought to myself: "Hey, maybe this iPod will make me change my mind about Macs, maybe they aren't so bad after all."

A few hours of aggrevation later I realized that Macs, and Mac products suck, they always will. If you've grown up with a PC, or you happen to be very computer literate, you won't like Macs.

The iPod has so many issues with it, you can only play one file type for movies, you have to synch it to the home computer all the time etc etc.

You're better off getting a Zen Vision which happens to play all sorts of file types and does everything the iPod does minus the aggrevation.

Zens are made by Creative, which used to make Soundblaster......for PCs!!!!



I have used PC's since the mid 90's. I hated it ever since I got to use my friend's dad's MacBook. I am a budding program coder, and I would qualify myself as a pretty computer literate, and I just don't like Windows.

And I've had an iPod mini since 2004, and I haven't once had a problem with it. It's been dropped in a toilet, in a pool, gone through the wash, and My Stratocaster fell on it. Still works.

The new iPod, currently prices at $249 for the 30Gig ($100 more for the 80 gig) plays a wider array of video files, such as .avi, .mpg, .mpeg, .mov, and mp4. I'm not sure if they understand Windows Media Formats, but I doubt it. The screens are also larger, and they have over 10 hours of battery life.


I am a Mac user, and I hope I'm not coming off as smug. I do tell people that I have a Mac, and I only explain why I think its better if they ask.

THR



posted on Mar, 22 2007 @ 08:50 PM
link   
Why is there a constent battle between mac users and pc users, I am a Mac user, I grew up a PC user, I am very computer literate, and have found many many many ways to tinker with my mac ways people tinker with their pc's, sure I voided the warranty to no end, and I possibly permently screwed up the OS, but I like it now, I took apart my mac, swapped out hardrives, and guess what, IT WORKED, you just have to know how to do it and you have to have compatable parts, which is often true for pc's to. now im not smug about my mac, but I know completely what people mean, even in the "mac" club, I have an older model, by like a year, and I get people constantly saying stuff like "oh, you dont have the intel macs, well mine is better then", so thats really the only thing wrong with mac and mac users, and only a few of them, it is possible to change absolutly everything about a mac, you truly just have to know how to do it and have the parts, you think the apple techs take their macs in to get them repaired by another apple tech?

and thats my long drawn out 2 cents.



posted on Mar, 22 2007 @ 10:35 PM
link   
Well, I will show my age in this response lol

back in my day, my high school was just bringing in computer studies into the school just as I finished yr 12. bugga.

anyway, I went to work in an office and the 'latest' pc was the Apple Mac. It offered the first desktop theme...MacWrite, MacPaint and MacDraw. For years, that is all there was. It was the start of the user friendly pc, rather than IBM -> MS DOS, basic language systems. Oh the technical guys that used to visit our office were rather cute too lmao -> so the product was even more attractive!!

Then, perhaps this is disinfo??? (feel free to correct) along comes Gates who copies the desktop theme and markets it. Apple imo got ripped off.

History BS out the way, my last contract position, used Apple Mac's. It was an Industrial Company, office clean but still dusty. The fact that the Monitor is sealed and all hardware is contained in it, was a bonus. Very good to use. The contract before that, I was in a little cubicle with about a 100 other people, well not in my cubicle but we all had our little space. The Apple Mac's don't take up much space and that got me through the day without having a panic attack due to claustrophobia. If I had to fight for leg room with the tower, that would have been bad.

At home, I am running WinXP and it is fine for what I do.
Excel is a good programme and I need that one.

You can use Excel with Apple and thats all I care about. lol



posted on Mar, 22 2007 @ 10:42 PM
link   
Microsoft has always been stealing ideas from Apple.


First, the Bitmap desktop.

Then, the modern mouse.

Then, Microsoft stole the patent for the iPod navigation system (see article here.)

Now, they've taken so many ideas from Mac OS X and put them into Vista.

Whatever can make them better, I guess.



posted on Mar, 22 2007 @ 10:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by Shadowflux
The iPod has so many issues with it, you can only play one file type for movies, you have to synch it to the home computer all the time etc etc.



Actually, you don't need to sync it. I can take my iPod to any computer and run it. Maybe because I don't set it to automatically sync to a library. That's just rediculous. I remember i wiped my shuffle after cleaning my iTunes library. I disabled it after that mishap.


THR

[edit on 3/22/2007 by TheRanchMan]




top topics



 
0

log in

join