It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pans Labyrinth

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 3 2007 @ 12:12 PM
link   
A truley wonderful juxtoposition of Francos' war torn spain with Dark fantasy.

This is high film art. With flawless editing, perfect characterazation, sets, CGI, story that never got trite. This is a good one.

I barely even noticed the Spanish with English subtitles. A little Spanish background does help though.

Normally I never see a film twice, but the imagry could be worth a second look.

Some pretty graphic violence.

I really appreciate the reviews here in BTS, hope mine help as well.

posted on Feb, 3 2007 @ 10:29 PM
link   
I saw some clips of this, it's the little girl right?
I saw her at a table, she touched some food then this man or creature woke up, it looks pretty imaginative, is it good for a mature audience???

posted on Feb, 4 2007 @ 12:08 AM
link   
Yeah Chris, this is a pretty dark approach to fantasy and I don't see how the kiddies would really enjoy it, but teens would probably love it with the edgy, gnarly creatures. Even the fairies had a pretty hard edge. R rated.

I thought that the story, even with some pretty common themes, worked really well.

I am a pretty severe film critic and tend to pick movies to pieces. This one should win multiple awards.

If you go see it, tell me what you think about it.

posted on Feb, 4 2007 @ 01:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by chris01621
is it good for a mature audience???

Well, I suppose it is for a mature audience in that it is extremely violent and sometimes very scary. However I would have no problem in letting a child see it, as I handled most stuff like this when I was a kid anyway. Like most fairy tales the themes are extremely dark, it's just most parents don't kick up a fuss when it's in a book but can't seem to wait to kick a movie in the nuts for the same thing.

But yeah, it's one of the best films of last year, highly recommended! Go see it! And don't listen to what the MPAA say, take your kids too! (unless they're babies or hyperactive, they don't belong in the cinema full stop!
)

posted on Feb, 4 2007 @ 07:42 PM
link   
The commercial I saw look pretty sweet, even in France. But the past couple of one that looked cool were :bnghd:

posted on Feb, 16 2007 @ 01:15 PM
link   
it's not meant to be a kid's movie. At least that is what I have read. Haven't seen it yet but a guy who works for my brother in law has the dvd and I should be seeing it soon enough.

posted on Mar, 16 2007 @ 10:20 PM
link   
I just saw it today, and I certainly don't mean its a movie for children. There are some *very* nasty and violent scenes.

It is very dark, and definately a fairytale for grown ups. Apart from the fairytale creatures, I don't believe there's much for children in this one. The filming is very poetic, and beautifully done! The soundscore is a bit disappointing though in my opinion, but it has one very catchy tune.

Overall it is a good movie, but I was a bit disappointed and so were my friends. It has been blown up in the media everywhere, and scored 6 out of 6 stars in most danish newspapers. It definately didn't live up to that, since the story was quite easy to guess unfortunately. 4/6 in my opinion, but it might get a star more the next time i see it.

posted on Mar, 16 2007 @ 10:41 PM
link   
This is not a kids movie at all.

It is RATED 'R.'

Del Toro put together a beautiful movie but I was a little disappointed in the ending.

posted on Mar, 16 2007 @ 10:43 PM
link   
I actually thought it was better than some of the best picture nominees. I was surprised by the violence. I knew it wasn't for kids but there were some scenes that were cringe worthy

posted on Mar, 16 2007 @ 10:57 PM
link   
Yeah dude and the worst violence in in all the "real world" scenes like that wine bottle.
I think that was the hardest part to watch in the whole movie.

posted on Mar, 17 2007 @ 06:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by Umbrax
This is not a kids movie at all.

It is RATED 'R.'

Del Toro put together a beautiful movie but I was a little disappointed in the ending.

You think so? I would've had no problem watching it when I was very young, and I wouldn't worry in the slightest about showing it to a child now.

I think people forget just how dark the fairy tales we used to read when we were kids actually were; that was the whole point of them.

But granted, the wine bottle scene was a shock to the old system!

Although I couldn't help but be slightly amused when they actually do find a dead rabbit in the guys bag.

posted on Mar, 17 2007 @ 10:19 AM
link   
In my opinion John the underworld stuff was not rated R and depending on the kid, they may be able to watch it without nightmares.
But the real world stuff was graphically violent and was definantly how this movie got it's R rating.

I agree movies today that have an R rating would not have gotten one in the past. On example I think would be Ghostbusters. That movie got a PG rating. It had sexual situations, several curse words, and smoking. I have no doubt that today it would get an R rating.

posted on Mar, 21 2007 @ 07:11 AM
link   
I'm going on what I saw in Hellboy 2 thread.
Umbrax say's, "don't be put off because a films foriegn" talking about Pans Labryinth, I think.

So is this film subtitled, not that i mind, as long as it has good plot and stuff I couldn't care, I personally love "house of flying dagger's" and can put up with bad subtitled films, But i'm just curious about this film.

Is it worth buying DVD for 22 yr old(me)???

posted on Mar, 21 2007 @ 08:39 AM
link   
I'd buy it

The DVD would likely have an English dub track also. But those usually suck.

posted on Mar, 21 2007 @ 09:00 AM
link   
So is it french then?

Yeah I can barly put up with dubbing in Jet Li's Hero, I would rather watch with subs
"I don't know it seems more authentic"

One film I do like dubbing on is "Kung Pow, Enter The fist"
Very funny if you like kung fu movies, stupid voice overs are great in it.

posted on Mar, 21 2007 @ 09:09 AM
link   
It is in Spanish and takes place in post-Civil War Spain, 1944. From what I understand the underworld creatures speak in the Spanish equivalent of Shakespearian era English.

new topics

top topics

join