It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ATS "Dark Matter" Revisited... Revised... Rethunk...

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 3 2007 @ 02:26 PM
link   
I suppose I'll add my 2 cents.

I don't like th plasma thing, it's far to bright, and actually hurts
my eyes to look at.

I prefer the light dark matter theme myself, it's perefect, not to
bright, but not overly dark either.

posted on Feb, 3 2007 @ 02:26 PM
link   
If possible, I'd say offer it as an option, akin to the 'lighter' setting. (Or, maybe spend points to change the text color that shows up on your screen?)

Personally, I like the set-up as it is. Granted, it took me a day to get used to it, but overall it's easier for me to read.

While the colors are a nice touch, some of us read for long periods of time. It's just easier on the eyes this way...

(Likewise, there's a visual cue involved. If I remember seeing the text on the black background, then I undoubtedly know it from ats. If it's white background, then it was probably a book...)

posted on Feb, 3 2007 @ 02:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by CaptainLazy
Personally I am one who got a bit of a headache using the dark background. But I think the 'light' selection in the top left solves this problem completely for me. So I don't mind it staying this way at all.

Yep, this is what i think.

Also i thought it was very considerate of you to give us the option of light and dark. Thanks. I like the entire dark matter theme, its superb.

[edit on 3-2-2007 by kode]

posted on Feb, 3 2007 @ 02:34 PM
link   

originally posted by justgeneric
Honestly I like the "home" page as well. Although I never really use it, opting to use the recent posts icon instead.

Just for comparisons sake-
I also began using the 'recent posts' page, as my main entry point, shortly after discovering, ATS,
way back in my lurker days.
Home page became just a reference page, after that.

Just a question-
Who are we losing, with the Home page ?
I find it hard to understand that someone who has chosen to view this site,
can't make it past the Home page, to find what they are looking for,
no matter how it's set up.

So, Skeptic, are you saying the Home page setup is failing to grab first time viewers,
who have interest but can't get past the Home page?

Are we just looking for page hits,
Or is this some other demographic?

>I see this has been answered somewhat above, by swimmer, but

could you expound a little on this, SO?

Just trying to understand the problem

[edit on 3-2-2007 by Jbird]

posted on Feb, 3 2007 @ 02:39 PM
link   
My reply to the original post:

I like Dark Matter and I was impressed with how quickly it was modified. But I also do like the new page you linked to, and here's why: The light colored surface with the icon reflections looks way-cool. Better than the black with reflection which we see all the time in real life (white surfaces are rarely polished like that). But this new sample page is a bit bright. I am just impressed that so much thought is given to the presentation of the material. Nice work to all.

But if I had to vote, I'd say leave it how it is for now. But those light icons look awesome.

posted on Feb, 3 2007 @ 02:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jbird
could you expound a little on this, SO?

The new layout of the home page from this previous version prior to the "Dark Mater" redesign, significantly improved "home page abandonment". Most people clicking through to the old home page for the first time never went any further, now, with the new layout, most people click further.

However... while the reorganization helped a lot, it appears as though a light background may help even more. Primarily in quick recognition of forum titles and important links

Just trying to understand the problem

And I'm trying to see if we have one.

posted on Feb, 3 2007 @ 02:45 PM
link   
When Dark Matter was initiated, it was a serious change. The only complaint I had was reading through the list of threads in each forum or myATS. Reading the threads was easy right off the bat and the home page was amazing. Over time the lists of threads were quite easy to browse through and I thoroughly enjoy it.

I'm all for Dark Matter and I would not look be looking forward to another change. I think the site looks great, the text is very readable and the overall look is very professional.

Originally posted by SkepticOverlord
If we evolve to "Plasma", it will be Plasma for everyone.

I hope we stick with Dark Matter but you guys have never done us wrong in the past. Either way, I trust your judgment. Whatever decision is made, I am quite sure it will have the best interests of ATS in mind.

[edit on 3-2-2007 by chissler]

posted on Feb, 3 2007 @ 02:48 PM
link   
Look upon the homepage as the cover of a book and the pages with the text messages as the pages in a book. The cover serves a different purpose than the text pages, therefore, KEEP THE HOME PAGE DARK, it's captivating, and serves a function very similar to the captivating (sometimes) covers of books, it draws you in.

The text pages where we post messages and long periods of reading are involved can be easier to read with dark text on a light background, that is LIGHT not WHITE! White background on a computer text page is like staring into a glaring bare lightbulb...after all the computer monitor is a light bulb it's just shaped rectangularly instead of the inflated balloon shape of most lighbulbs and is considerably bigger. So, a light background such as you have now in the message text box is nearly perfect. It is comfortabley light without being BLAZING WHITE! So, keep the "cover" dark and the inner text pages light.

I just wish you had used a deep silver blue for the hue of the dark matter rather than the olive brown that you selected. It is more pleasing to eye than the dark drab brown. I also wish you had included the date when posts originate under the author's (OP) name in the recent posts listing.

posted on Feb, 3 2007 @ 02:54 PM
link   
I actually like the "Plasma" better than the Dark version.

I haven't read the entire thread so forgive me if this was asked before but...

Could there be a way to switch between "Dark" and "Plasma" ?

posted on Feb, 3 2007 @ 02:55 PM
link   
Can it be a choice?

Truth is, the new dark matter site is easy on my eyes..and quite easy to read.

The new look Plasma is bothering for my eyes.

If there is a way to offer as a choice, like the 'light' and 'dark', that would be cool.

Again, site is fine the way it is, i.mo.

Peace

dAlen

[edit on 3-2-2007 by dAlen]

posted on Feb, 3 2007 @ 02:58 PM
link   
I personally think that Dark Matter looks really nice. However, the new mockup also looks beautiful. So, however it ends up, should be very nice.

posted on Feb, 3 2007 @ 03:02 PM
link   
One other thought...would love to see dark matter across the whole site...even into the ATS blog home page, etc.

Peace

dAlen

posted on Feb, 3 2007 @ 03:09 PM
link   
I really love the new design, although the only complaint is it won't tell me how many U2U's I have until I click on it unlike before. It just tells me that I have U2U's. But that is all.

posted on Feb, 3 2007 @ 03:11 PM
link   
Personally while I like the dark matter, the plasma is easier to read and the sample home page is a stand out in plasma.

posted on Feb, 3 2007 @ 03:16 PM
link   
Skeptic Overlord:

"While there are lots of studies that rightfully show light text on dark on computer monitors reduces eye-strain... a similar number of studies are showing that we've trained our brains to better recognize dark text on light (after all, that's 99.9% of all that we read)."

Perhaps that may be true for us 'older' folks... newer generations get the bulk of their textual material via electronic means.... paper is going away.

"Also, some people have never noticed the picture phone headline at the top of every page, but light background, it was the first thing people noticed."

So just change the background of that header to White and the text to Black, trust me, with the current color scheme that type of header will LEAP off the page and even the blind will see it.

"The important thing to remember here is how our complex website is presented to new users, and if we can improve that first perception and keep them coming back."

Agreed. Here's something that will help 'new' people... but yer gonna hate it; Up the Font Sizes a couple of points.

"However... while the reorganization helped a lot, it appears as though a light background may help even more. Primarily in quick recognition of forum titles and important links"

So really it's just the forum titles and important links that need to be quickly and easily identified, yes? Why not focus on just that rather than the Entire Layout?

"This potential change was inspired by showing the dark/light versions to 9 people who have never previously been on ATS."

Query: How many different computer platforms / configurations / browsers did this test include? Seriously. How many different types and sizes of CRT screens versus LCD screens did you try? How many browsers, operating systems, graphic cards, laptops, hand helds, etc. etc. etc. Seriously. I'm not trying to be a thingy here, I'm trying to Help.

Us telling you which version is ‘easier’ for us to read Without us telling you WHAT we are reading it on is rather pointless, dontcha think?

Like you, I too design pages for high rollers and work with highly educated and intelligent people. And yet I can't tell you the number of times one of those said brainiac designers completely and totally FORGOT that not every bozo on the face planet has a PC running Windows with IE for their browser... some folks have a Mac, some folks run Linux, some folks have a 15" CRT, some folks STILL have monochrome, (scary, huh? *laughs*)

As far as I'm concerned, do whatever you want with the site. Black text with Black backgrounds and Black graphics along with Black buttons that have Black lights that light up Black when you click them so that you 'know' that you clicked them would work for me 'cause I'm smart enough to Highlight text I have a problem reading. And if that doesn't work then I cut and paste the stuff into a word doc and mess with it until I Can read it.

But I'm a bozo so whadda I know?

Good luck!

posted on Feb, 3 2007 @ 03:19 PM
link   

The important thing to remember here is how our complex website is presented to new users, and if we can improve that first perception and keep them coming back.

But what about the members who have been here for months and years? Aren't they important too? I want to keep coming back for more months and years to come.

posted on Feb, 3 2007 @ 03:23 PM
link   
My two (2) cents on the subject..

First off I think that Dark matters is pretty darn good.. I remember reading up on dark colors usage on website also cutting down the costs in terms of annual savings based on the luminance too...

In regards to Plasma.. another "High Five"

My only contention that makes me frown is that I've noticed in both templates, the "Subject Header" (for lack of a better word) in some areas disappear or are so light that they are rendered unreadable unless you switch to "dark" from "Light". This drives me nuts, as I have to switch often to be able to read what the title is...

As a visual aid I've used a small section out of the Podcasts area that will help illustrate this better..
It's very frustrating

LIGHT MODE:::::::::::

DARK MODE:::::::::::

[edit on 3-2-2007 by JohnnyAnonymous]

posted on Feb, 3 2007 @ 03:26 PM
link   
it looks good to me.

i actually like both...

cant really choose.. but if your looking for less eye strain... i think the one thats proven to work will be more better.. who wants to have 500/500 vision?

posted on Feb, 3 2007 @ 03:26 PM
link   

However... while the reorganization helped a lot, it appears as though a light background may help even more. Primarily in quick recognition of forum titles and important links

Thanks , that helps.

So, as I thought, we may have been getting off track with the responses.

So the question at hand, is really not about whether we, the members,
like the overall look, (I think that was addressed with the recent poll, no?)

but is more about getting new visitors past the Home page and into the 'meat' of ATS.

Have I got that right?

So, if possible (sorry for being ignorant in style sheet matters) would a Plasma Home page be possible , while keeping the Dark Matter theme, on the rest of the site?

posted on Feb, 3 2007 @ 03:27 PM
link   
Yeah, let "plasma" be a choice. Then you'd have three options -- "dark", "light", and "plasma". That would please everyone!

Personally, I'm a huge fan of the dark version. I found myself lurking on ATS more often after the switch to dark matter.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join