It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ATS "Dark Matter" Revisited... Revised... Rethunk...

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 3 2007 @ 12:36 PM
link   
At first I found this format hard to read, but I adjusted.

Whatever you decide on is fine with me as long as the content stays the same.

posted on Feb, 3 2007 @ 12:39 PM
link   
I love Dark Matter as it is. I wouldn't change a thing about it.

posted on Feb, 3 2007 @ 12:39 PM
link   
I like Dark Matter its more pleasing to the eyes.

posted on Feb, 3 2007 @ 12:41 PM
link   
Just to clarify...

Because we're such a large and active board (top-20 in overall traffic), my hope is that we land on one look-and-feel, with no option to select a specific theme.

I know many of our members who are active in discussion boards become accustomed to customizing the look of many boards with theme or skin options, but in a graphic-rich custom scenario such as ATS, multiple themes multiply complexity.

If we evolve to "Plasma", it will be Plasma for everyone.

(And after all the work making the new site imagery, this is no small decision.)

posted on Feb, 3 2007 @ 12:42 PM
link   
I actually prefer this to the old version of ATS. However the option to somehow be able to pick your color options yourself might not be a bad idea to consider also.

posted on Feb, 3 2007 @ 12:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by JamesMcMahn
I like Dark Matter its more pleasing to the eyes.

I agree.

But in the informal testing I did, most people took longer to find foums on the home page in Dark Matter than they did in a ligher version.

Also, some people have never noticed the picture phone headline at the top of every page, but light background, it was the first thing people noticed.

I very much like how "Dark Matter" looks overall... but am concerned with cognitive issues.

posted on Feb, 3 2007 @ 12:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by SkepticOverlord
Just to clarify...

Because we're such a large and active board (top-20 in overall traffic), my hope is that we land on one look-and-feel, with no option to select a specific theme.

I know many of our members who are active in discussion boards become accustomed to customizing the look of many boards with theme or skin options, but in a graphic-rich custom scenario such as ATS, multiple themes multiply complexity.

If we evolve to "Plasma", it will be Plasma for everyone.

(And after all the work making the new site imagery, this is no small decision.)

I agree, it is wise to want a signature theme to a website.

Personally if you stay with dark matter, i won't mind it since I like this theme also.

But you have to admit "plasma" looks pretty snazzy.

posted on Feb, 3 2007 @ 12:47 PM
link   
The present design looks great and includes color combinations that lend themselves well to the theme.

The new experimental lighter interface is definitely "easier on the eye", but only slightly so in my opinion, and the overall effect of the ATS theme is diminished markedly - enough to weigh against changing it...

I agree with posters that suggest to make both available (or 3 or more even if resources permit) and let users select the one that suits or pleases them best.

For what its worth - I'm here for the CONTENT far more than any GUI aesthetics and would visit the site daily regardless of the text/color/graphic accouterments that guide me to the information I seek.

In every sense I submit that ATS remains the best forum on the 'net that is available and you guys (admins/mods/members all) are collectively doing a great job serving our inquisitive community...

posted on Feb, 3 2007 @ 12:48 PM
link   
i REALLY like the "dark " setting of the dark matter redesign - it does mak it far easier for me to read

but i do have an aversion to bright light

so all i must do now is killl all the idiots responsible for the flashing ads that the thrird party carriers foist on your banner ad spaces

please , keep it dark

posted on Feb, 3 2007 @ 12:48 PM
link   
Isn't there a way to make a poll about this?
I prefer the dark one, it's so sexy!

posted on Feb, 3 2007 @ 12:49 PM
link   
Much better, I would prefer this style easily. No more eye strain and headaches.

My time on here has dropped massively compared to what it was before the change simply with the fact that the pages were hard to look at.

posted on Feb, 3 2007 @ 12:54 PM
link   
Hi, SO--

Personally, I like Dark Matter; MHO. I use black or Grey shades on my own domains, so--oh, well. I don't like "busy" backgrounds. What I see with Plasma, tho, is the other side of an 'extreme'. We have Dark Matter, Plasma, so we now need "Anti-Matter"-- third choice somewhere in between. I think Plasma "jumps out" at ya too much. The back colors need to be a bit more subdued, as the text somehow "gets lost". I think you can go a bit darker with it and still not loose your idea.

JMHO-- I'll get used to whatever is decided.

posted on Feb, 3 2007 @ 12:55 PM
link   
Personally, I like it and would love to see it stay the way it is.
I've almost forgotten how the old ATS was.

posted on Feb, 3 2007 @ 12:57 PM
link   
Hi S.O. personally I like the theme the way it is now, afterall, secrets are supposed to be deep and dark right? LOL

I do have to mention though, after reading ATS for awhile, and then clicking on ebay on another page,... lets just say it is quite a shock to my vision to go from a dark page to a lighter one.

Either way, I'm confident that you know what you're doing, and will keep the ATS populace happy with your decisions.

Keep up the good work.

Peace/out,.... Ausable_Bill

posted on Feb, 3 2007 @ 12:58 PM
link   
Say it ain't so, SO!

You're rethinking Dark Matter?

Dark Matter, is a shaded oasis, in the internet sea, of 'searchlights in my face', that is my surfing experience.

I think the emitted light of a monitor, vs. the reflected light of a page, argument, illustrates this the best.

Being a lover of all things black, I initially feared my
eyes might not agree with my heart,
but I'm still finding no ill effects from the Dark Matter experience.

(of course the only exception to this rule, occurs when switching back
to the real world of spotlights in my face.)

I'm still voting Dark.

posted on Feb, 3 2007 @ 01:02 PM
link   
I love the New "Dark Matter" theme, especially since they got most of the text/background issues solved.

I have noticed one thing though. The new Theme is designed for viewing at 1024x768 resolution. Theres no problem with that except it stays at 1024x768 even when using a higher resolution, creating about 4 inches of empty space on the right side of the screen. It makes everything look kind of "lop-sided".

Correct me if I am wrong , but didn't the old theme "stretch" or adjust to fit any resolution?

posted on Feb, 3 2007 @ 01:03 PM
link   
I've selected dark and like it.

In my own word processing programs I run a Cyan background and dark blue letters.
It's fairly easy on the eyes.

A couple of programs I deal with have white backgrounds and black letters and I'm stuck with them.
Very tiring on the eyes.

Are you sure you're not just being a "Computer Guy/Gal" here and worrying too much?

It seems that computer enthusiasts are constantly changing things, sometimes for the better, most times not imo.

The old joke at work - bulk power biz - was that if you took your four days off or went on vacation you had to be retrained because our computer guru was constantly changing things.

Run a poll, explain that if you don't vote, no bitching later.

posted on Feb, 3 2007 @ 01:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by SkepticOverlord
But in the informal testing I did, most people took longer to find foums on the home page in Dark Matter than they did in a ligher version.

Also, some people have never noticed the picture phone headline at the top of every page, but light background, it was the first thing people noticed.

Surprising bit of research.

Maybe just a change in the homepage?
(if that's even feasible.]

posted on Feb, 3 2007 @ 01:09 PM
link   
I also like the site the way it is.I have mine set on dark.Just my opinion.

posted on Feb, 3 2007 @ 01:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by ThatsJustWeird
Personally, I like it and would love to see it stay the way it is.
I've almost forgotten how the old ATS was.

Er... wot 'e said. The Dark matter theme gives ATS a unique feel - some of the other forums I visit now look really old-fashioned.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join