It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ATS "Dark Matter" Revisited... Revised... Rethunk...

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 3 2007 @ 11:47 AM
link   

ATS Dark Matter Revisited

After some time spent showing the new ATS to some online people I've worked with in the past, everyone agrees that the "Dark Matter" design is a visually pleasant overall look-and-fell. Among the comments I received is that it does a great job of establishing the site as a destination for mysterious and/or controversial topics.

However...

Aesthetics aside, there is a lingering issue I've had, and some members have expressed with dark backgrounds. Everyone I spoke with also agreed that the white/light text on dark/black ends up being more difficult for the brain to notice than dark text on light.

While there are lots of studies that rightfully show light text on dark on computer monitors reduces eye-strain... a similar number of studies are showing that we've trained our brains to better recognize dark text on light (after all, that's 99.9% of all that we read).

With that in mind, I've been working on "ATS Plasma", a new look at refining the redesigned layout with lighter colors for improved text cognition.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

This is a home-page-only mock-up, and it also lacks some key elements such as header-links and footer elements.

What does everyone think?

posted on Feb, 3 2007 @ 11:56 AM
link   
I think it look's really smart. I still prefer the dark version personally, but it's bound to appease the dissenting voices.

I also like the way you've aligned the content to centre in the window.

Good skills.

posted on Feb, 3 2007 @ 11:56 AM
link   
It looks good. However I was already in love with the dark "Dark Matter" theme.

Is it possible maybe to have the best of both worlds. Perhaps using a fixed set of custom style sheets maybe two or three, with different levels of dark verses light.

Similar to the existing light/dark function that you have implemented already, but with possibly more choices. Going from all out Dark Matter, to a style similar to the old ATS.

The info for each user could possibly be stored in cookies, or would this be an unwanted increase in overhead, server side?

Just a thought.

[edit on 2/3/2007 by Mechanic 32]

posted on Feb, 3 2007 @ 12:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mechanic 32
Perhaps using a fixed set of custom style sheets maybe two or three, with different levels of dark verses light.

The issue is with the supporting images... most of which are rendered over the page background color.

The GIF file standard still gives us a more compliant, smaller-size file than a PNG with alpha channel... otherwise, it might work.

It's best if we zero-in on one scheme that both defines ATS, and provides a positive environment for reading and noticing important new items.

posted on Feb, 3 2007 @ 12:14 PM
link   
It looks great to me, but the "who's on" feature at the bottom coud do with darker text, if thats possible.

Other than that it's great, reminds me of what it looked like before "dark matter".

posted on Feb, 3 2007 @ 12:19 PM
link   
LOL- My brain is now used to the dark background with light txt. Whatever you end up doing I know will be in the best interst of the community so I'm not worried.

keep up the great work!!!

Cory

posted on Feb, 3 2007 @ 12:20 PM
link   
the new design makes the site look bigger. also the various topics seem more distinct from one another. looks more academic and less moody and secretive, which i see as a bonus.

posted on Feb, 3 2007 @ 12:20 PM
link   
It's not the Dark Matter theme I have a problem with, it's the Light Matter theme I think looks really really crappy. Basically what my opinion on how it should be changed(Light Matter theme) is that it should be changed back as much as possible to the old pre-darkmatter theme.

posted on Feb, 3 2007 @ 12:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mechanic 32
It looks good. However I was already in love with the dark "Dark Matter" theme.

I have to agree with Mechanic32 on this one. I think it would be a mistake to change the layout now.

I thought Skeptic that you had put a dark or light button at the top left anyway??

I think the Dark Matter re-design was a stroke of genius.. it really added to the feel of the subjects at hand.

I will support what you decide but go to tell you I think ATS is Great the way it is now.

All the best,

NeoN HaZe

posted on Feb, 3 2007 @ 12:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by SkepticOverlord

It's best if we zero-in on one scheme that both defines ATS, and provides a positive environment for reading and noticing important new items.

That sounds like a grand plan.

Either way, I'm sure that a solution will be found that most can agree upon.

What is the time frame that you are going to be "polling" the masses here?

posted on Feb, 3 2007 @ 12:25 PM
link   
I like this and would probably use it if it were available.

posted on Feb, 3 2007 @ 12:26 PM
link   
It is indeed much easier to read. But I would still prefer the dark version over this one. Although it maybe difficult to give an accurate comment at this time because my eyes have been used to the dark version, this is still a break away from the ordinary stuff

posted on Feb, 3 2007 @ 12:28 PM
link   
SO, to tell you the truth I've always liked the "dark matter" theme, but now that I look at the new theme you're working on, i have to say it is a lot easier on the eyes.

If you would create this theme, it would probably be the one I use.

posted on Feb, 3 2007 @ 12:29 PM
link   
For me, stick with the dark, i like it much better.

Don't think the white one there really works too well IMO

link   

Skeptic Overlord

I think that means you won't have a version like the pre-dark matter days offered as an additional option.

The dark background is less stressful to the eye. The entire industry should switch over to it. In a few years, after having a choice - probably a lot of people would appreciate the decreased strain.

I like the look of the version above as well. It's interesting how something like a darker background can fluster the senses.
One way or the other is cool with me.

link   
Personally I am one who got a bit of a headache using the dark background. But I think the 'light' selection in the top left solves this problem completely for me. So I don't mind it staying this way at all.

posted on Feb, 3 2007 @ 12:33 PM
link   
Plasma looks great! Dark Matter Looks Great! Make it so that you can just click a button in the corner somewhere to change back and forths from one scheme to another. That way, people get whats best for their eyes or whims.

I would probably switch back and forth from Dark Matter to Plasma, depending oin my mood. Honestly, they both look great. And for Plasma, I have never seen such a bright design look so dark! You really did a smart thing there with Plasma.

Let us keep em both! Give us a a little button in the corner!!

All hail Skeptic.

EDIT: But as far as which is easier on my brain to read? I have an easier time with light text on dark background. For me there is less strain, because you dont have a screen full of white blasting at you. But of course, like I said, there are times when I might ned to go click that "Light Button" up in the corner. Re-tweak the site so that clicking the "Light Button" gives you Plasma, and you'll really be on to something very clever.

Is there anyway we can preview Plasma at work in a sample thread?

[edit on 3-2-2007 by damajikninja]

posted on Feb, 3 2007 @ 12:33 PM
link   
It's easier for me to read light on dark rather than dark on light. If you do change, I hope you put it as an option, instead of manditory.

posted on Feb, 3 2007 @ 12:35 PM
link   
Well SO ... I love em both.

Won't matter anyways, as I am most likely already clinically addicted to ATS and will come back even if it was lime green.

Whites good, I agree it is easier to read..
Black is good because it doesn't give headaches to those like me who have to wear glasses to see 2 feet in front of me.

Is it possible to make a visualization setting, that people can apply different themes? Just for those who are never happy. I like white or black or a combo of em both!

df1

posted on Feb, 3 2007 @ 12:36 PM
link   
My preference has always been the design that ATS used circa 2004. I personally like a more spartan layout, a retro DOS BBS style would be nice.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join