It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

near death experiences

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 25 2003 @ 02:11 PM
link   
Real NDE's happen when there is no brain activity whatsoever (flatline) which means they can not be hallucinations or dreams

posted on Dec, 25 2003 @ 02:19 PM
link   
I had a NDE but I did not see heaven or hell no white light or anything like that all I saw was them operating on me and trying to stop the bleeding they said my heart stopped and when they shocked me I was back in my body.

It was some weird S**t

posted on Dec, 25 2003 @ 03:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by Amuk
I had a NDE but I did not see heaven or hell no white light or anything like that all I saw was them operating on me and trying to stop the bleeding they said my heart stopped and when they shocked me I was back in my body.

It was some weird S**t

Ya, that would be a NDE, but it would also be consider an OBE(out of body experience). My mother had a NDE when she was a teenager. Her car hit the side of a brick bridge over a small river. She flew out of the car and was knocked unconciouse with a badly cracked skull. She said she was floating away from her body and was in a dark tunnle with a bright white light on the end of it. After that she was totally convinced she is still here for a reason, and if she wasn't her I wouldn't have her to help me go through my teen years right now, actually I wouldn't even be alive.

posted on Dec, 25 2003 @ 03:50 PM
link   
Ok, why do these BBCodes not work for me....grrr.

posted on Jan, 11 2004 @ 08:39 AM
link   
i'm sure everyone has diff' experiences
in a re-sus sit'. For myself, i had a m/c
accident and busted my neck. The doc's
told me they de-fib' me 3 times in the
ambo' but i did not 'see' or hear anything.
They guess i was 'dead' for about seven
minutes in total, meaning coming in and
out of pulse due to de-fib'.
But for me, there were no lights, tunnels
unfortunatly. This happened 15 yrs ago
and i am a quad

posted on Jan, 11 2004 @ 08:59 AM
link   
Sanctum's post is exactly the kind of thing that shoots down NDEs as real to me. If we all had souls and went to some afterlife, you'd think that sanctum would have seen something being dead for seven minutes.

posted on Jan, 11 2004 @ 10:20 AM
link   
Not everyone has NDE's. If everyone had them, researches could've more easily predict them and could've easily said that they're the product of a dying brain. It's just the reason that they don't happen all the time that has everyone stumped.

Here's more info on NDE's

web.archive.org...

In addition, research studies back up these claims as well. One example is the experiment done by Cardiologist Michael Sabom. Talbot describes this as well: (page 232-233)

"Experiencing an OBE during cardiac arrest is relatively common, so common that Michael B. Sabom, a cardiologist and professor of medicine at Emory University and a staff physician at the Atlanta Veterans' Administration Medical Center, got tired of hearing his patients recount such "fantasies" and decided to settle the matter once and for all. Sabom selected two groups of patients, one composed of 32 seasoned cardiac patients who had reported OBEs during their heart attacks, and one made up of 25 seasoned cardiac patients who had never experienced an OBE. He then interviewed the patients, asking the OBEers to describe their own resuscitation as they had witnessed it from the out-of-body state, and asking the nonexperiencers to describe what they imagined must have transpired during their resuscitation.

Of the nonexperiencers, 20 made major mistakes when they described their resuscitations, 3 gave correct but general descriptions, and 2 had no idea at all what had taken place. Among the experiencers, 26 gave correct but general descriptions, 6 gave highly detailed and accurate descriptions of their own resuscitation, and 1 gave a blow-by-blow accounting so accurate that Sabom was stunned. The results inspired him to delve even deeper into the phenomenon, and like Clark, he has now become an ardent believer and lectures widely on the subject. There appears "to be no plausible explanation for the accuracy of these observations involving the usual physical senses," he says. "The out-of-body hypothesis simply seems to fit best with the data at hand." (Footnote 9)

9. Michael B. Sabom, Recollections of Death (New York: Harper & Row, 1982), p. 184.

posted on Jan, 11 2004 @ 10:25 AM
link   
Here's another one:

www.iands.org...

For example, in the past some scientists have asserted that the NDE must be simply a hallucination brought on by the loss of oxygen to the brain [called "anoxia"] after the heart has stopped beating. This study casts doubt on that theory, in the words of its chief investigator, cardiologist Pim van Lommel, MD, "Our results show that medical factors cannot account for the occurrence of NDE. All patients had a cardiac arrest, and were clinically dead with unconsciousness resulting from insufficient blood supply to the brain. In those circumstances, the EEG (a measure of brain electrical activity) becomes flat, and if CPR is not started within 5-10 minutes, irreparable damage is done to the brain and the patient will die. According to the theory that NDE is caused by anoxia, all patients in our study should have had an NDE, but only 18% reported having an NDE... There is also a theory that NDE is caused psychologically, by the fear of death. But only a very small percentage of our patients said they had been afraid seconds before their cardiac arrest -- it happened too suddenly for them to realize what was occurring. More patients than the frightened ones reported NDEs." Finally, differences in drug treatments during resuscitation did not correlate with the likelihood of patients experiencing NDEs, nor with the depth of their NDEs.

posted on Jan, 11 2004 @ 08:21 PM
link   
as a pilot I can define the tunnel and light as hypoxia the condition resulting from lack of or insuffcient O2,

my motorcycle got remodeled by a chevy in which incident I was "dead"...I saw nothing but is was like a multi dimesional nothing..."nothings nothing"...

but according to my belief, that is exactly what I was supposed to see...

I do believe these experiences are unique to the individual...go figure...seems as if we are right where we started....lol
Good Luck

posted on Jul, 5 2004 @ 08:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheBandit795
And the people who saw God reported as seeing it as the densest concentration of God. The core of God if you will. Mostly in the form of a very bright and enormous light in which old souls (souls that have experienced practically everything) are absorbed and/or recycled.

If this is true, does this mean that God is a collection of our experiences, as humans? How would this change our definition of God - would He (or Us, in this case?) be considered all-powerful and omniscient?

This concept reminds me of two ideas I've heard. The first is that of "Oversouls". I believe this is a theological theory (oooo a mouthful!) that there are a few large oversouls that all sould come from (or go to?) that are similar in some way. I think it might have been a possible explanation for why there are people who meet another person who is almost a twin, despite not being genetically (closely) related.

The second concept this reminds me of pertains to, of all things, insects and the idea of a group conciousness. Perhaps I am way off, but the description of absorbed souls made me think of this.

Cercey

posted on Jul, 5 2004 @ 09:37 PM
link   
I experienced an NDE a couple of years ago. My experience was way different by a country mile, excuse the pun. I did experience that overwhelming love, yes, but my experience of it, cannot be expressed in so few words. What I "saw," with my "spirit's eye" was a shifting, at first, of shadow and light. Everything in the room I was in, suddenly became reversed. Light and it's ambience, became shadow, all unlit objects and their shadows became lighted. This was the first sign to me anyways, that something different was happening to me, than anything else I could describe. I did not see Jesus, no, I saw Her. The Goddess.
The feminine aspect of what most would consider God. She communicated with me on a psychic level only. No lips moved, no actual words were spoken. ( I had no way to speak with words, nor any way to hear her, it was all energy) "mindspeak," if you will. She sent me back on the message, that I wasn't finished with my job yet. (Whatever she meant). I was dead for an hour of hypothermia, during which I was ready to face whatever came of this.

posted on Jul, 5 2004 @ 11:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheBandit795

Originally posted by FunkTSkunk

I find it very interesting that 0% of the NDE people saw the devil. You can see God but not Satan....weird.

That says a lot about Satan's existance. And it supports the idea that he doesn't exist. And the people who saw God reported as seeing it as the densest concentration of God. The core of God if you will. Mostly in the form of a very bright and enormous light in which old souls (souls that have experienced practically everything) are absorbed and/or recycled.

How can you discount the high percentages that saw God and Jesus, and then when no one see's the devil you say Ah Hah. Haven't you heard that the devils biggest deception is to make us believe he doesn't exist. Of course no one that has almost died has seen him. Why would he spoil his best lie on someone that was coming back. This goes to prove just the opposit. So what percentage of NDE's had a spiritual nature? But thats probably just neurons running amuck, right? Its amazing how hard we try to deny the truth.

posted on Jul, 5 2004 @ 11:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by popeye0314
How can you discount the high percentages that saw God and Jesus, and then when no one see's the devil you say Ah Hah. Haven't you heard that the devils biggest deception is to make us believe he doesn't exist. Of course no one that has almost died has seen him. Why would he spoil his best lie on someone that was coming back. This goes to prove just the opposit. So what percentage of NDE's had a spiritual nature? But thats probably just neurons running amuck, right? Its amazing how hard we try to deny the truth.

Actually ive read alot of accounts of people being thrown into hell.They are disturbing in every way imaginable. None of them share a characteristic like the "light at the end of the tunnel" as many heaven-bound stories do, which makes them even more chilling. None of them were influenced by what someone else said they saw. And who would want to say they were sent to hell?

posted on Jul, 5 2004 @ 11:52 PM
link   
The differnce would be actually seeing the devil as the devil is said to be, or just seeing a hell like place and maybe even demons. Unless someone were to say the actually saw the devil, most folks would tell them its all in there mind. A lot like the oobe threads were people say that anything bad is just a mental projection of your own mind. The same people would probably say that if the person that died would have just had happy thoughts, the would have seen nice things. How we can discount evil as being just a mental illusion is beyond me. The one thing we should all see at this time in the world-line, is that evil is as real as the world itself. And still you have those that say it doesn't exist.

[edit on 6-7-2004 by popeye0314]

posted on Jul, 6 2004 @ 12:00 AM
link   
I don't know if this is a NDE but I flew off a jet ski going 65 mph into the water and all I could see was white when I fell.

posted on Jul, 9 2004 @ 12:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by Whats Happening?
I don't know if this is a NDE but I flew off a jet ski going 65 mph into the water and all I could see was white when I fell.

65!!!! Wow, you're lucky you didn't break your back or neck! I wrecked tubing off a wake at 45mph and launched 10-12 ft and landed on my back and my whole back went "crunch"! No problems but man that was close!

White? I saw light green for 3 seconds when I got hit under the chin by a football helmet.

My NDE was very very real....people who never experience this think it is like a dream and it is nothing like that. For me as I started slipping out I was thinking (and panicking) "this is it" but you really don't cease thinking. I became very aware and then there was a blackness and a dissolving into stars or points of light with a glow behind me. The stars were white or brilliant blue and I was alone for what seemed like 30 seconds (which is pretty freaky when you are dead and alone in space). So then I just thought "where's God?" because I had read up on NDE's during my life and I didn't see any tunnel or God or heaven. So then I had this sense that someone was showing up and it was a pressence like a teacher who comforted me, but also kind of reprimanded me for not using life to my full potential. No life review for me either. Then the next thing was that my "ego" began to be stripped from me and I felt the "noble" part of me emerge...very strange. It's like the facade we use on Earth was taken away and I was feeling the true self or hero part of me was allowed to be. To me, the best word or symbol representing who I was is "Aristotle"...who I know very little about, but I felt like my true intellect was freed. I felt pure and somewhat kingly in who I was now...but no ego...I also felt like I had a hooded brown cloak on for some reason (?).

Then I was shown a glowing book that as I grew closer to...expanded to my left and right into infinity. And then for a few brief seconds I was absorbed by this line of books and felt my conscious expand along this line of infinity. Now I don't know how to ever explain that feeling except it's like imagining yourself being a mile to the left and a mile to the right of where you are right now and feeling everything in between. From there I "popped" back out and slipped back into my body and came to as I was being rushed to the hospital.

As life changing as this was, there is the drawback that I have problems now relating closely to some people. Some around me see life as something to be "used" and just stumble through it. I feel a bit of pressure to encourage my "noble" spirit to emerge yet it really doesn't fit in with society's selfish ways, so I feel a bit like an outcast.

Also I didn't feel any overwhelming "love" in my NDE like some report. It felt more like I was over at a friend's house....safe but not somewhere I wanted to hang out at all the time.

The more I think about it, the more I think that when you die, you do slip into another dimension where your consciousness can survive or maybe part of it is there already there before you die. I think that because after I came back, the whole next day my perception was that this world was "flat" or two-dimensional...the physical world wasn't as solid or "real". I felt like I was more powerful than it and you could punch a hole through it. Also to this day, I feel like I can sense another dimension next to me yet requiring some effort to get to....now when some people say dimension it ends up getting "spooky-fied" to where it downplays its authenticity. To me, it is just another place as real as me going outside my house. It may be a little strange and the trip getting there my be strange, but it is still as real as this reality.

posted on Jul, 9 2004 @ 03:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by Boogie
I feel a bit of pressure to encourage my "noble" spirit to emerge yet it really doesn't fit in with society's selfish ways, so I feel a bit like an outcast.

Never let society stop you from what you feel is good. I think it would be great if there were more people willing to stand up for others without being selfish. The fact that an NDE brought you to this point gives these experience more credence, I think.

Cercey

posted on Jul, 11 2004 @ 12:16 AM
link   
Thanks Cercey. I do try to stay true to my "noble" side, but I will never approach the feeling of wisdom I had with my NDE. I would say I am a better person after going through this, but I still have my times of selfishness and dark thoughts, but rarely act on them like I used to. The best thing I've learned is that I needed to discipline myself and my misguided urges before I could worry about the actions of other's. The thing that most bothers me anymore is that a lot of people in the US aren't really in control of their urges (and I'm sure most of the world isn't much different), there is such a high degree of selfishness that I get a little down at times. So many educated people yet they can't control themselves...strange thing being human.

[edit on 7-11-2004 by Boogie]

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join