It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Giant Bunnies for Dinner in N Korea

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 3 2007 @ 05:02 AM
link   
I found a Giant bunny picture similar to one featured in a certain avatar of a mod we have here on the board.

It turns out they breed them for food in N Korea. ...hope it's not a personal photo he's using.

Just kidding, but the story goes a breeder in former East Germany have been contacted by N Korean authoreties, because he is quite famous locally for breeding giant rabbits with some success.

Now they want to establish a stable of them in N Korea for food consumption, so he sold them 14 for breeding. How could he!

Karl Szmolinsky hoists Robert, a robust 23-pounder,
in the back yard of his home in Eberswalde, Germany.
Robert is one of six gray giants, chosen for their breeding potential,
that Szmolinsky sent away to the North Koreans. (Sean Gallup -- Getty Images)

EBERSWALDE, Germany -- Few people raise bigger bunny rabbits than Karl Szmolinsky, who has been producing long-eared whoppers since 1964. His favorite breed, German gray giants, are the size of a full-grown beagle and so fat they can barely hop.

Karl-Heinz Heitz, chairman of the State Association of Rabbit Breeders in Berlin-Brandenburg, said that German gray giants are hard to beat for size but that they aren't cheap to fatten up. It takes wheelbarrow-loads of hay, vegetables and rabbit chow to bring them to maturity.

"Let me say this: There are certainly breeds that are more economically profitable; I do not know why the North Koreans wanted this one," said Heitz, who introduced the Korean officials to Szmolinsky.

Breeds such as New Zealand red or big light silver or Vienna blue are only half as big but are more cost-effective to raise. "You do not have to put in as much to get out a fair amount of meat," Heitz said.

One thing I don't get though, when they don't have enough food for their people, how will they feed these monsters?

Karl Szmolinsky is going to N Korea in April to see how the giants thrieve. If they don't feed them well, they won't get anymore, he says.

Back to eating grass.:shk:

posted on Feb, 3 2008 @ 03:47 AM
link   
I've heard that Karl was very disappointed. He said he's not selling any more rabbits to Kim. It turned out that the rabbits ended up as dinner at Kim's birthday party.

posted on Feb, 3 2008 @ 04:16 AM
link   
My Grandpa used to keep wabbits.

Just thinking about it is making me dribble... ummmm... wabbit pie!!

The only thing we should give KJI is a slap!

MonKey

posted on Feb, 3 2008 @ 11:29 AM
link   
No! No! No! Selling those cute bunny rabbits for profit is just plain greedy! I cannot believe those people would eat such timid creatures! No! No! No!

[edit on 2008-2-3 by pikypiky]

posted on Feb, 3 2008 @ 07:12 PM
link   
reply to post by Hellmutt

In North Korea even Kim must use any trick in the book to get some (decent) food.

I bet they taste better than the UN rations.

posted on Feb, 4 2008 @ 09:51 AM
link   
I bet the taste good as satay:

Or burger patties. Or with curry. Or in Tom Yam. Or anything, man. I just love (eating) rabbits! It's like venison, only more tender. And very lean, none of that fat you find in beef. Mmmm..... animal muscles.....

God, I'm hungry.

posted on Feb, 4 2008 @ 10:11 AM
link   
You sure you it's not dog meat, your talking about..?

Well, it actually tastes good ...when you don't know.

Whatever, your food pics always makes me hungry Beach.

Bon apetite!

top topics

join