It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Researching an area in nw uk

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 4 2007 @ 07:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by fatlip180
Out of interest, why does my age intrigue you?

appologies , i was just thinking out loud

for some arcane reason , i envisioned you being far older

it is not an issue - please forget i mentioned it

i am developing a growing fascination with the field of industrial archeology - so if the subject comes up on ATS , all the better

posted on Feb, 5 2007 @ 02:40 PM
link   
Hi ,

I have not been able to do any research today :

BUT

I have had an epithany . while looking at another set of images – r realise that google earth sometimes renders water in strange ways

Here is another , higher res view of an area I previously thought was a hard standing , or building base

Lat / long :

53°47'6.19"N
2°18'13.63"W

Now I believe that is a body of water

And it does appear as a body of water on the OS 1:25000 map files

Not much , but at least progress ?

the only problem is - that its sometimes hard to date google earth imagery

posted on Mar, 16 2007 @ 03:51 PM
link   
hi I used to play on the site in the early 1960s,it was called the M.E.L. we used to swim in the deep tiled vats,we must have been mad...During WW2 it was a magnesium production plant for use in munitions,and seawater was pumped through pipes from Southport to Hapton alongside railway lines to the site to help produce the magnesium,according to my father it was the worst kept military secret ever,there were two anti aircraft batteries positioned there during the war,but thankfully never needed.I still pass every day and often wonder how none of us ever drowned as the v shaped vats were massive and deep, and just like an outdoor pool.

posted on Mar, 17 2007 @ 04:05 AM
link   

As tha attatched image shows,there was a colliery on the sight,and in reference books i have the colliery was built on the site of a 16th century house called Knotts.

posted on Mar, 26 2007 @ 12:42 AM
link   
HI I was wondering if anyone has any old photos of the site, I was walking past the other day and i noticed that it is being demolished, anyone know whats being built there?. Kieron

posted on Dec, 29 2007 @ 06:09 PM
link   
Hi there, i dont really want to dig up this thread again, but i thought the locals may be interested in whats happening here.

Apparantly express gifts are going to be using the site from now on.

It will be interesting as to what part of the site they are going to be using. Although i am guessing they will be using the old pipe factory area.

BTW Blithes (the factory next door to Hepworths site, just up the road have also closed down)

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join