It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hmmm?? NSA helped Microsoft make Vista secure ???

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 2 2007 @ 11:54 AM
link   
Read it here now!!!

www.infoworld.com...

I already don't like Vista that much, now I find this accusation.

The U.S. agency best known for eavesdropping on telephone calls had a hand in the development of Microsoft's Vista operating system, Microsoft confirmed Tuesday.

The National Security Agency (NSA) stepped in to help Microsoft develop a configuration of its next-generation operating system that would meet U.S. Department of Defense (DOD) requirements, said NSA Spokesman Ken White.

posted on Feb, 2 2007 @ 12:06 PM
link   
I think the news article should replace secure with insecure. If the NSA has access to encrypted data, what's going to be stopping script kiddies from finding the holes left in place? Heck, they are still finding major security flaws in XP.

posted on Feb, 2 2007 @ 12:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheBandit795

Vista......just a heavy version of XP. Now I'm wondering what else they put in it (besides the graphics, lol) to make it so damn heavy. It runs slow on quad cores...so anyone with less than that will definitely be forced to upgrade if they want to use this crap.

posted on Feb, 2 2007 @ 12:28 PM
link   
And if the NSA was involved in securing Vista, then why are there reports that it has already been hacked in such a way that hackers can misuse it's built-in speech recognition software??

Or did the NSA not do their job adecuately???

posted on Feb, 2 2007 @ 12:41 PM
link   
heard this a while ago, they say the nsa worked on mac os as well. they have two groups of people, one attacks and one defends, and see what from there.

of course nsa must be involved with microsoft, like cia and and fbi. microsoft is a way into peoples lifes.

just a fact of life in the 21st century

posted on Feb, 2 2007 @ 01:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by sky1

Vista......just a heavy version of XP.

Nah, I think Vista is meant to be a copetitor to Mac OS X. Its "new" features have all been taken from Mac OS X. Vista even has the ability to execute code that was intended for unix/linux using the windows kernel, something that was a major feature in the premier of Mac OS X. Of course, they have juiced everything else up too. Vista is a damn hardware hog though, 15-20 GB of HD space and at least a GB to run. I dont know about this OS,

I would have already switched to Mac if I could afford too. I cant afford their stuff, as impressed as I am with it. Not to mention there are things that just will not run under Mac OS. Bootcamp maybe changing that shortly though.

posted on Feb, 2 2007 @ 02:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by XphilesPhan

Vista......just a heavy version of XP.

Nah, I think Vista is meant to be a copetitor to Mac OS X. Its "new" features have all been taken from Mac OS X. Vista even has the ability to execute code that was intended for unix/linux using the windows kernel, something that was a major feature in the premier of Mac OS X. Of course, they have juiced everything else up too. Vista is a damn hardware hog though, 15-20 GB of HD space and at least a GB to run. I dont know about this OS,

I would have already switched to Mac if I could afford too. I cant afford their stuff, as impressed as I am with it. Not to mention there are things that just will not run under Mac OS. Bootcamp maybe changing that shortly though.

And from what I have read vista has some serious security flaws right from the box which really should really make everybody feel secure. You go NSA. LOL.

Back in 96 I bought my first computer and it ran windoze 95 and I taught myself enough of it to realize it was totally bogus, so I sold it, bought a mac and haven't looked back. I have a copy of Office 2004 for mac's just so I could cross platform at school and almost never use it. I just spent 3 years in a VA vocational rehab program being re-educated for a second career in graphic design and everything we did was on Mac's. What you are getting with vista we have had on Mac's with OS X for 5 years now and once again all the really cool stuff microsoft had to copy from Apple.

Xphiles Phan.... I just got a new/refurbished 17 in. 1.83 duo core intel chip iMac with 1 gig RAM and a 160 gig harddrive plus superdrive off of the apple website for $900 and if you go to ebay you can get them cheaper (the seller on ebay I found out after the fact is actually an official reseller for apple) so they aren't so expensive especially when you consider they are built like the proverbial brick s...house, they control all aspects of their manufacture, they don't skimp on quality and all that stuff you pay extra for from DELL and the like come standard on a mac.

posted on Feb, 2 2007 @ 02:18 PM
link   
I'm wondering what sort of "hand" the NSA had in Vista.

All I know is that while I have the necessary software to run Vista, I'm going to skip upgrading and go straight to Mac. You just can't beat the Apple!

posted on Feb, 2 2007 @ 02:29 PM
link   
You know Microsoft doesn't know it yet but Apple has simply rendered them obsolete with Mac's ability to run OS X and windoze and Linux. I have boot camp but I will not install windoze, vista or xp on my iMac unless I absolutely have to BUT if I have to, I will get parallels or another software like it so i can run windoze and OS X at the same time without having to restart in one or the other... AND that is why what Apple has done renders microsoft obsolete... the day is coming when you buy a blank machine and install whatever operating system on it you want onto it and the operating system provider that supplies the most (or most appro. for the buyer) content will win, and in that Apple is miles ahead of windoze. The big debate then will be who makes the best machine. And for my money Apple wins again.

[edit on 2-2-2007 by grover]

posted on Feb, 2 2007 @ 02:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by grover
You know Microsoft doesn't know it yet but Apple has simply rendered them obsolete with Mac's ability to run OS X and windoze and Linux. I have boot camp but I will not install windoze, vista or xp on my iMac unless I absolutely have to BUT if I have to, I will get parallels or another software like it so i can run windoze and OS X at the same time without having to restart in one or the other... AND that is why what Apple has done renders microsoft obsolete... the day is coming when you but a blank machine and install whatever operating system on it you want onto it and the operating system provider that supplies the most (or most appro. for the buyer) content will win, and in that Apple is miles ahead of windoze. The big debate then will be who makes the best machine. And for my money Apple wins again.

Could not agree more!

Made on a Mac

posted on Feb, 2 2007 @ 09:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheBandit795

Vista......just a heavy version of XP. Now I'm wondering what else they put in it (besides the graphics, lol) to make it so damn heavy. It runs slow on quad cores...so anyone with less than that will definitely be forced to upgrade if they want to use this crap.

Vista is nothing like XP. At all.

And two, it isn't heavy nor does it run slow on QX6700's.

Heck, they are still finding major security flaws in XP.

Meh.
Are you going to notice those? I have been running with no firewall for years... Still, virus free.

Also I bet you there are hundreds of security holes and bugs in OS X. Hundreds. However how many people search for them? How many people use MACs comparede to PC's?

Oh and by the way guys, it's actually extremely easy to install MAC OSX onto a PC, it's cheaper too.

- Typed on a PC running OS X.

[edit on 2-2-2007 by PisTonZOR]

posted on Feb, 2 2007 @ 09:48 PM
link   
nsa must suck then...

there have been bootleg windows vista links on every bit-torrent site for like a year

posted on Feb, 2 2007 @ 10:52 PM
link   
I have been carefully considering upgrading to Vista. But so far I've decided against it. When Windows XP came out it took over 3 years for my family to switch from '98. We never did the 2000. My dad went to this Microsoft conference the other day where they demonstrated Vista and I must admit, the voice recognition stuff sounds very cool.

posted on Feb, 2 2007 @ 10:58 PM
link   
tbh, I don't think I will ever upgrade to vista the bad far outweighs the good and this piece of info has clinched it for me. What exactly would stop the NSA from using a top-secret algorithm or backdoor to obtain personal data from our computers.

I think I am actually going to join the linux revolution.

posted on Feb, 2 2007 @ 11:04 PM
link   
NSA just worked on it to put backdoors. They won't secure it, hell, there's over 4 millions codes sentences, maybe more. They worked on it to be able to go into everyone's computer, because of ``terrorists`` or those against Bush when the purge starts.

posted on Feb, 2 2007 @ 11:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by grover
Xphiles Phan.... I just got a new/refurbished 17 in. 1.83 duo core intel chip iMac with 1 gig RAM and a 160 gig harddrive plus superdrive off of the apple website for $900 and if you go to ebay you can get them cheaper (the seller on ebay I found out after the fact is actually an official reseller for apple) so they aren't so expensive especially when you consider they are built like the proverbial brick s...house, they control all aspects of their manufacture, they don't skimp on quality and all that stuff you pay extra for from DELL and the like come standard on a mac.

Thanks for the tip
. I am really interested in getting a mac, however I was sort of raised on microsoft. I noticed that Mac uses a wireless adapter called "airport". If it uses the IEEE 802.11g standard, I think it should be compatible with my router. Do you know if you can use a linksys router with a mac or do you need the mac version?

also, do you know anything about those mac minis? are they any good? I feel stupid asking questions like this when I have a degree in computer information systems, but they simply dont teach anything about macs and I have never used one as a personal computer.

PisTonZOR, how are you running Mac OS on a PC? I have never heard this and didnt even think it was possible. I figured the internals were quite abit different.

Also, I have read that the reason there are fewer viruses for Mac, besides the fact there arent as many users, is that they store their OS code in a PROM chip so it doesnt allow you to make modifications to the OS directly, well besides upgrades.

Anyway, thanks for the info guys.

posted on Feb, 2 2007 @ 11:36 PM
link   
For personal use I have an iMac G5 and a Compaq Presario v6000 ...Mac has too many security flaws & no anti viruses that truly work but it runs beautifully. I find no need to utilize bootcamp. Don't buy a Mac if you want to run Windows.

Vista will run fast if you're just looking at the desktop, I guess......but don't game on it or try to run more than 2 programs

We put it on a quad core and ran Doom 3.....stutter, stutter, STOP...GAME OVER. Vista sucks, the only thing like Mac is the gui (Linux), it's a Unix kernel, and nothing else is different from XP...nada.

I agree with Vitchilo.

[edit on 2-2-2007 by sky1]

posted on Feb, 2 2007 @ 11:46 PM
link   

We put it on a quad core and ran Doom 3.....stutter, stutter, STOP...GAME OVER. Vista sucks, the only thing like Mac is the gui (Linux), it's a Unix kernel, and nothing else is different from XP...nada.
[edit on 2-2-2007 by sky1]

That was my concern as well. The requirements to run JUSTthe OS are so high that I dont see even the most topped out PC being able to run very many programs, especially demanding programs like games, without a huge amount of lag.

[edit on 2-2-2007 by XphilesPhan]

posted on Feb, 2 2007 @ 11:48 PM
link   

CAFR
Government's GROSS income was:
3.4 (trillion Dollars) tax income
5.1 Non tax income

Could it be that our own Government over the last several decades has been promoting to those fortune 500 companies, of which Government owns most through Bond - Loan investment / stock ownership [EXAMPLES: 82% stock ownership of Microsoft Corporation, Disney 61%, AOL - Time Warner 58%, EXXON 72%] to manufacture abroad so that Government would realize greater returns on their investments at the Peoples of the USA's expense in jobs and wealth retention.

They're just protecting their investment.

posted on Feb, 3 2007 @ 12:19 AM
link   
In my opinion, this would be nothing new. As far as I know (though as always, I could be wrong,) NASA, the Air Force, and DARPA funded research that went into development of the NLS at SRI, which was arguably the first computer system to utilize hypertext, the mouse, and screen windowing among other (at the time) innovations that led to the development of many modern operating systems.

Furthermore, the NSA has been implicated in Windows for some time now: www.cnn.com...

What exactly the implications and/or intended use (if any) of this link between Windows and the NSA are, are described in that article as "an open question," and that was in 1999.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join