It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How can you believe in God and be against abortion?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 2 2007 @ 11:11 AM
link   
The Question is:

How can you believe in a God who gave us the right of free will, then turn around and try to deny others the right to do what they want

By being against abortion are you saying that God was wrong

Are you just saying that your opinon is just more important than anyone else, including God

It just really irks me that people are always trying to tell me what to do with our bodies. I personally don't want my wife or girlfriend to have an abortion. But I believe that GOD gave us free will, and the choice. I believe it is not anyones place to decide for anyone else.

posted on Feb, 2 2007 @ 11:53 AM
link   
Right up my alley - a nice controversial topic! Nice!

Personally, I am not an advocate of abortion, especially late term abortions. Yes, a life is a life, and taking a life, no matter how young, is wrong in my opinion. Who can say whether or not the 3 week old fetus which was killed would have grown to be the person who found the cure to a terrible disease, or inventor of free clean energy? One can never say, and we'll never ever know.

Now that being said, I also believe that it is not my right to tell a woman what she can and cannot do to her body. If someone is using abortion as a means of birth control, then something should be done. How to regulate that? I don't know but to throw something on the table let's say that there's a 3 strike rule - after 3 abortions she should be sterilized.
There's a very fine line that I'm teetering on here. A rape victim gets impregnated by the rapist. I actually do believe this is a justified reason for abortion.
Early tests on the fetus indicate that there is a horrible birth defect which the baby would have no quality of life whatsoever. Again, I find this justifiable.
If abortion was outlawed, you would have a scared young girl dying in a bathtub with a coat hanger sticking out of her. Horrible visual, but it is the truth.

You are correct in that God gave us free will, but on the other side of that same exact coin, the sixth commandment says "You shall not murder". We can debate that until the end of time, and I would happily do so.

I've laid out my beliefs. I do not preach my ideals on anyone. It is not my right to. I practice what I believe.

posted on Feb, 2 2007 @ 12:45 PM
link   

But I believe that GOD gave us free will, and the choice. I believe it is not anyones place to decide for anyone else

The whole GOD thing is debatable and so is free will. Otherwise I think you hit the nail on the head. I think people who have 3+ kids (and have rigid views of GOD and abortion) are hilarious. Yeah sure everyone likes kids, but did they ever stop to think about overpopulation? If we aren't careful we could run into real problems with food and water shortages in a changing climate. One should only have kids when one is mature and absolutely 100% aware of the amount of effort it takes to raise even one child in a positive way.

As a side note, I like all the puzzled faces you put in your post lol!

You are correct in that God gave us free will, but on the other side of that same exact coin, the sixth commandment says "You shall not murder".

That's actually the other side of your coin. If one doesn't believe in the ten commandments then one is not bound by them.

posted on Feb, 2 2007 @ 01:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by Scramjet76

That's actually the other side of your coin. If one doesn't believe in the ten commandments then one is not bound by them.

Touche`. Tough to argue with you on this point if you don't believe in the 10 commandments. I must've had a brain cramp. Until now I just assumed that if you believed in God, that you would believe in the 10 commandments. That actually provides some fodder for me to think about. Interesting point.

posted on Feb, 2 2007 @ 07:28 PM
link   
I think it should be cleared up that were talking about Christianity here;

Also that Religion and the law contradict each other!

But on a moral standing in my opinion A "True" Christian, true meaning follows the letter of the bible, can not be against abortion. If they were to voice an opinion against abortion they would be "Judging" another person, Judgment is a privaledge held only by God. If the abortion was going to happen because the women simply did not want a child then a "True" christian should pray to God that he gives the woman strength to decide to keep the child, if the abortion goes ahead the woman will then be judged by god for that "taking of life". If the abortion was because of health reasons again a "True" christian would have to allow it to happen and pray to God for the womans forgiveness as it's preserving the womans life, again God will judge her when she's dead.

Just my 2pence

posted on Feb, 11 2007 @ 09:03 PM
link   
God gave us free will. Why should the law prevent us from using our free will to kill other people on the street? Therefore, those who believe in God must support murder?

You are misinterpreting the term "free will". You may also think that "pursuit of happiness" means that you can do whatever you want in order to be happy. No, there are many restrictions.

(I'm pro-choice by the way)

Edit//

Here's a counter question: How can you believe in God and be against murder?

We have the free will of our bodies to go out and stab someone!

[edit on 11-2-2007 by Paresthesia]

posted on Feb, 16 2007 @ 12:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by Royal76
How can you believe in a God who gave us the right of free will, then turn around and try to deny others the right to do what they want:

Simple. It's done all the time. If you use your free will to break human law, then you have to pay the price. Just because we have free will doesn't mean that it's a blank check to run amuk and blame it on 'free will'.

By being against abortion are you saying that God was wrong

By saying you are against murder are you saying that God was wrong?
By saying you are against torture are you saying that God was wrong?
By saying you are against incest are you saying that God was wrong?
By saying you are against theft of personal property are you saying that God was wrong?

Sorry, but your question doesn't make sense.

It just really irks me that people are always trying to tell me what to do with our bodies.

When someone commits abortion they aren't 'doing something with their own body' ... they are stopping the heart beat of someone else's body and they are doing it in a way that is extremely painful for the child who is being killed.

The abortioner isn't killing herself, she's killing someone else. That isn't her body she's destroying. It's someone else's. Look at the link in my signature. Look at the pictures. Then try to tell me that the person committing abortion is just 'doing something to her own body'. She isn't.

posted on Feb, 16 2007 @ 12:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by lombozo
I just assumed that if you believed in God, that you would believe in the 10 commandments.

No, no no no no. The two don't go hand in hand. Not at all.

Many people are Christian and do NOT believe that the Old Testament is anything more than myths, legends, and some historical stories that are heavily influenced by the prevailing religion of the day.

Many people who are Christians don't buy that Revelation is anything more than a dementia driven dream by an old and stressed out fella living in exile.

posted on Mar, 2 2007 @ 03:20 PM
link   
I think most of these laws were put down by Man not god.

God is all about free will...not free will but this, this, and that.

posted on Mar, 2 2007 @ 08:44 PM
link   
Its because theyre a bunch of pussies! Plus, as George Carlin said, most of the people against it are people you wouldnt want to f*** in the first place. I had an ex who was against it, so I was careful to use a rubber but of course there were times I didnt. Now she has a kid who was born today or last night and I honestly feel bad for the kid, his mom is 15 and his dad is 23 or something. Imagine the horrible things hell find out about his mom when he turns 14 or 15. I thank God that the evil succubus didnt trap my seed into her polluted womb.

posted on Mar, 2 2007 @ 08:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by Royal76
I think most of these laws were put down by Man not god.

God is all about free will...not free will but this, this, and that.

Every law we know was made by man, I dont believe in the 10 commandments, more of a Jewish thing to me, but man will oppose in whatever way the other for as long as we are a race. Or until we develop completely out of the reptilian brain, which I dont think any of us is going to see.

[edit on 2-3-2007 by RomanianDacianHun]

posted on Mar, 5 2007 @ 09:41 AM
link   
Personally, I'm against abortion for the same reason I am against murder and theft... they are not conducive to the good of society.

Abortion becomes a fail-safe, something one can fall back on, and thus avoid responsibility for their actions.

Birth control is widely-available and simple enough to use. If you neglect to protect yourself and your partner adequately, then you should have to deal with the consequences.

The only time I see abortion as acceptable is in the case of rape. Then, I see it as just another emergency-response surgery that can be used to help a victim.

top topics

join