It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Vandy 1....check it out!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 2 2007 @ 08:28 AM
link   
I am originally from the Pt. Mugu area of Southern California and the base used to be a hotspot for flight ops..now it is more of a missile testing area but still some flights, although not nearly as often.

Anyway, there was an F4J called, "Vandy 1" that was painted all black with a playboy bunny as the tailfin emblem....then not long after, an F14 with the same color scheme....believe me, it's cool looking!

If anybody has pics or vids that you could load to this thread it would be great. The F4 inparticular is so freaking cool looking you must see it.

Thanks, Westpoint I know you can help me...Peace y'all, Mondo

posted on Feb, 2 2007 @ 08:37 AM
link   
Found one link to an image of the F-4
www.boeing.com...

another F-4 link half way down page with the vandy 1 forming a shock cone.
home1.gte.net...

A link to a "ok" picture of the f-14
pacificcoastairmuseum.org...
A couple of nicer pictures of the F-14 Vandy 1
www.tvrphotography.com...

[edit on 22/08/06 by Canada_EH]

posted on Feb, 2 2007 @ 08:44 AM
link   
great Canda! that's it, VX-4 F4J!!

Thanks for the links, keep em coming gang!!!

posted on Feb, 2 2007 @ 08:58 AM
link   
Found the high quality images of the Vandy 1 on the airliners.net
www.airliners.net...

posted on Feb, 2 2007 @ 10:05 AM
link   
The F4J designation is incorrect as that's a WWII aircraft designation. Believe it or not, the (-) does matter because F4 is not the same as the F-4 Phantom.

So when I first read this I was thinking "Wait... a Warbird in those colors?"

But then Canada got the Phantom in those colors and I was getting mad confused. But yes nice find on that. I forgot what the name of the SR-71 it was that had the Playboy bunny emblemed was. Does anyone remember?

Shattered OUT...

posted on Feb, 2 2007 @ 10:19 AM
link   
Shattered,

I originally disagreed with you but please view my post a few spots down! I misunderstood your meaning and Waynos brought it to my attention! Good call, good call....Peace, Mondo

[edit on 2-2-2007 by Mondogiwa]

posted on Feb, 2 2007 @ 10:30 AM
link   
SR-71A (AFSN 61-7978 / Article 2029), nicknamed "Rapid Rabbit", had the bunny on the tail. This aircraft was written off on 20 July 1972 during landing at Kadena AB, Okinawa.

In recent years, the Playboy Bunny was banned from aircraft at Point Mugu because it wasn't "politically correct." It was replaced on the tail with what a crew chief described to me as the "old bat" from the VX-9 patch. He pointed out that there was, however, a bunny hidden on the underside of the airplane.

[edit on 2-2-2007 by Shadowhawk]

posted on Feb, 2 2007 @ 10:34 AM
link   
Shadow, what do you mean, "written off?" did it crash??

posted on Feb, 2 2007 @ 10:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by Mondogiwa
Shattered,

Actually the F4J designation is correct, even take a close look at the serial number and model designation on the aft part of the fuselage. F4U is a WW2 Corsair designation....but yeah great pics!

The SR with the bunny, I have seen it but that's as far as I can help at the moment..sorry

You might think Shattered is being pedantic, but he is correct. The F4J designation is not correct. There never was an F4J. It should be F-4J as shattered said *.

If there had been an F4J it would have been built by North American, not McDonnell (although they did build an FJ-4 instead).

ie, the F4F was the Grumman Wildcat, but the F-4F was a Phantom II variant built for Germany in the 1970's.

Happy to help

*even if it is an F-4S

[edit on 2-2-2007 by waynos]

posted on Feb, 2 2007 @ 10:48 AM
link   
OHHH my apologies to Shattered and you Waynos, I did not understand the meaning of the replies....the F4J versus F-4J. Totally right on with you guys, I was being short and concise and to my error I see where that led. Again, nice pick up by you guys....in total agreement.

Peace, and way to keep it tight and specific as I should have and generally try to be

posted on Feb, 2 2007 @ 10:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by Mondogiwa
Shadow, what do you mean, "written off?" did it crash??

It was cut up and salvaged

In February 2000, 10 years after her last flight, the museum began restoration work on 61-7975. During the restoration it was discovered that the left rudder had once been on a sister SR-71, 61-7978. This SR-71 wore the famous Playboy bunny and was named Rapid Rabbit. In 1972 during a landing mishap, 61-7978 was damaged beyond repair. Her crew safely escaped and the salvaged parts were removed to be used on other operational blackbirds.

link:
www.marchfield.org...

top topics

join