It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Vivid & accurate precognitive dream - can anyone explain?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 2 2007 @ 08:25 AM
link   
Five or six weeks ago, I had a disturbing dream about George, an elderly relative who lives approx. 1000 kilometers away.

I'd had no contact with George for approx. 3 months, prior to having the dream. The dream came out of the blue.

In the dream, George was on his back, on the ground. It was night-time. He was in agony and struggling to rise, but couldn't.

I saw and could feel George's emotions of extreme despair.

He felt he was old. His body wouldn't do what he wanted it to do. This humiliated, depressed and frightened him. He felt utterly alone. He could see no reason to go on, yet his body insisted on struggling to live.

Nearby, neighbours were going about their business. It was a very hot night and people were still up, unable to sleep. Some were on their verandahs, seeking a breeze. Others were playing cards, their doors and windows open. I saw all this.

In the dream, I wondered why they weren't going to George's assistance.

George was grimacing, tears running down his face as he struggled silently and alone on the ground, in the dark. His torment was as much mental as physical.

I woke up crying.

For three or four days after the dream, I struggled to shake off heavy depression. During that time I briefly related the dream to family members, who advised me not to dwell on it, saying: " It's just a dream."

I'd always had an uneasy relationship with George. More recently he'd become quite moody and difficult, due to age and infirmity and our last phone call had not been pleasant. Because of this, I hesitated about contacting him after I had the dream.

In the end, I didn't. We had visitors arriving from overseas as well as various family celebrations to arrange. The visitors planned to travel to see George the following week. I hoped this would cheer him up.

The visitors came and left and life went back to normal. I'd succeeded in pushing the dream to the back of my mind and in convincing myself it had been, after all, " only a dream ".

Then, last week, I sent a gift to George for his birthday.

Today, he phoned to thank me. He was much more lucid and pleasant than he'd sounded for some time and the conversation flowed easily for a change.

Then George told me that a few nights ago, on the 29th of January, he'd had one of the worst experiences of his life.

He said he'd mistakenly believed it was his birthday (which was actually a day later) and had felt very despondent because none of his family had bothered to get in touch. Always a heavy drinker, George had decided to celebrate alone with a cask of claret.

The day had been extremely hot and humid. George had steadily consumed the wine, alone, mulling over his life, losses, failures, disappointments, regrets, etc.

As he told me this, George freely admitted that he'd drunk far more than was wise, adding the wine had tasted better and better as the day wore on.

Then, early in the evening, when he attempted to rise, he'd collapsed heavily to the ground in the annexe at the rear of his place. To his horror and disbelief, he'd been unable to get up. He said mentally, emotionally and physically, he was trapped in a waking nightmare.

George said he'd never been so frightened or despairing in his life. He said he had been on his back, on the ground, and no matter how he tried, he could not get to his feet. He'd struggled for hours in the heat and darkness. " Getting old is bloody horrible." he added. " I thought to myself: this is the end. You're dying. Just give up and let go. There's nothing to live for anyway." But his body wouldn't quit and insisted on 'fighting' as he described it, to get up, to keep on living.

Interrupting, I said: " I know. I saw it in a dream."

" When ! " George asked, incredulously.

" About a month or more ago, in a dream."

" You're kidding ! "

I assured him I'd witnessed his struggle in the dream and added: " But in the dream, I saw people around you and wondered why they weren't helping you. "

George insisted there had been no-one with him.

I told him again that (in the dream) I'd seen neighbours close by, virtually overlooking George's struggle from where they stood on their verandahs.

George replied that this was true, that he'd heard his nearby neighbours as he'd struggled in the dark. He hadn't wanted anyone to see him in that condition, he said, so he hadn't called out for help.

This confirmed the silent struggle I'd witnessed in the dream.

Speaking with him on the phone today, I didn't embarrass him by mentioning that in the dream I'd seen his tears of utter despair, not only regarding his immediate situation, but in relation to his entire life's journey.

George concluded by telling me that since his ordeal, he'd been to the doctor and had also been read the riot act by his son, regarding drinking to excess in the heat. The doctor had apparently told George he was lucky to be alive, considering the strain he'd imposed on his body. George assured me his ordeal had made him realise it was time to practise moderation. He said it had been well after midnight before he'd managed to drag himself to his feet and make his way inside, where he collapsed on his bed, exhausted.

I'd clearly had a precognitive dream regarding George's experience.

His ordeal had not occurred in reality until approx. 5 weeks later.

During his ordeal, George had sent out a 'distress call', which I had picked-up via my dream.

Yet I'd picked up that distress call 5 weeks in advance of the actual event.

Curiously, when George lived the ordeal in reality ( a few days ago ) I did not this time pick up his distress call and slept peacefully while George struggled for real.

It's theorised that Past, Present and Future are all occurring simultaneously, rather than progressing in linear fashion.

Is anyone able to explain how that theory can be applied to the events in this post, because I'm at a loss.

When was the 'Present' --- when I dreamed of George's struggle, or when he actually experienced it ?

posted on Feb, 2 2007 @ 10:20 AM
link   
Wow that's a loaded question and quite the story.
I don't really have a concrete answer myself but offer another theory.
Perhaps it's not all happening at the same time but rather another theory is that the future is mapped out unless we change the course or path before an event happens.

Perhaps what you witnessed in your dream was to occur in George's future unless he changed it's course. If he stays on that same path then what you saw takes place but if he decided not to drink that night or something else caught his attention then what you saw probably would not have transpired.

Again it's all I have to offer but it's a very compelling story nonetheless.

posted on Feb, 2 2007 @ 01:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by DDay

Perhaps what you witnessed in your dream was to occur in George's future unless he changed it's course. If he stays on that same path then what you saw takes place but if he decided not to drink that night or something else caught his attention then what you saw probably would not have transpired.

Again it's all I have to offer but it's a very compelling story nonetheless.

well said! , i was thinking a very similar thing,

~we create our realities & help fashion the world around us,
what you 'seen' in the 'dream' might be a co-creation by you & he,
a drama was played out from linking/connecting all those inputs & data
about George, and from all those sublime 'messages' which George projected... and you composed a likely drama that could result.

since neither George or yourself ever tried to alter that potential future-scape...events happened as they were projected to happen.

It reminds me of 'visualizing' a goal as if its already a reality,
the force of 'intent' causes the universe to bend in such a way that your 'goal' will be more likely to be realized.....
unless something intervenes!?

posted on Feb, 2 2007 @ 09:20 PM
link   
Mmm. Thanks DDay and St Udio, for your responses and speculations.

They may be correct for all we know and it would be GREAT, wouldn't it, if we could gain some confirmation of our various theories.

Since the beginning of mankind, a percentage of populations has experienced precognition, whether via dream or vision, so it's clear that precognition is a natural aspect of being human.

At various times in life, I've had quite a few precognitive experiences, usually delivered via dreams. These 'dreams' have a distinct flavour; they feel different to ordinary dreams. And they remain as clear memories, just like things that really have happened. Invariably, my precognitive dreams are extremely accurate. They take quite a bit of recovering from, too.

Every generation, I suspect, speculates about the ability to create 'reality'. Years ago, people were advised to attach a photo of their 'wants' to a wall and to concentrate on it several times a day; for example, this could be a photo of a holiday destination. It was claimed that continual focus on the 'wish destination' would eventually result in realisation of the dream. People ceased this activity after varying lengths of time, because basically --- nice and easy though it sounded -- it simply didn't work any better than 'chance'. And that makes sense, doesn't it? Billions of people wish like mad every week that they will win a major Lottery. They 'picture' themselves accepting the prize and spending that money. But how many actually do win? Thousands determine with every fibre in their being that they'll win first place in Pop Idol, but how many actually do, despite spending hundreds of hours 'seeing/visualising' themselves as pop-celebrities?

So from this, it seems clear that wishful thinking combined with visualisation is not a magic pill.

Similarly, many thousands of parents worry themselves sick each night that their son will be in an accident or that their daughter will be attacked. Those parents visualise these scenarios extremely vividly. Yet their son and daughter walk through the door unharmed (thankfully) despite their parents graphic and emotionally-loaded visualisations.

Those powerful, emotionally-laden visualisations and sometimes dreams of their loved ones being attacked and harmed, clearly have NO influence over others' fate.

Another 'for instance': millions of people world-wide would VERY much like Bush to vanish, either via retirement or for some other reason. Yet even the COMBINED strength of millions of peoples' emotions, on continual basis for several years, have not affected Bush one iota. He's STILL there, still flying in the face of public opinion, still engendering total hatred within many *millions* of people. The same applies to loathed politicians and dictatorial monsters throughout history.

From this it becomes clear that we do NOT exert anywhere near the influence over others as we are advised is the case.

There are thousands of examples from which to choose: the lover who employs dreams, ritual, spells, 'thought power', affirmations, etc. etc. in order to win the heart of another, without success.

For some reason, many New Age and lately Wiccan and other publications and published advice, are intent upon convincing people that their 'thoughts have power'. It sells books of course. And yes, it makes the powerless and ambitious feel in 'control' of their fates for a while. But it doesn't work. And sooner or later, people accept that it doesn't. Those few for whom it does work are in the minority and it seems they possess specific psychic ability.

So, feasible though it may at first sound, I do not believe that my dream of George's experience in any way caused George to later have that experience.

What I DO believe is that -- on some level or dimension -- our experiences have already been determined/written, as George's was and as were those others about which I had precognitive dreams.

After all, I dream several times each night. And this is the proof of the pudding, isn't it, because MOST of us (whether or not we're aware of it) ALSO dream each night.

Yet how MANY of our dreams 'come true' ?

If the 'creating reality with dreams' theory is correct, we should ALL ---all of the time --- be seeing the proof of our dreams within the lives of others. We should see our dreams being acted out every single day.

And we don't.

Because MOST of our dreams are simply brain chemistry/biological process.

When you dream, for example, of a baby lion walking through your door and making cup-cakes out of your living room drapes ---- this does NOT occur in reality. No. Most dreams are just dreams.

Yet precognitive dreams which have been shown to be accurate (via their subsequently occuring, provenly so, in reality) are used to validate a theory of their being 'creative', insofar as they have the power to shape someone's reality .... as in the case of my dream about George.

So, the question becomes:- WHY would my dream about George be regarded as proof of this theory of 'shaping the future' ---- yet my dreams about purple pigs in suspenders should NOT be cited as proof of this 'theory' ?

The theory doesn't withstand even rudimentary scrutiny, does it?

So we're back to a situation where only SOME dreams are genuinely precognitive. And of course as has been illustrated above, it is the DREAM and not the Dreamer, which is the determinant.

*I* did not shape George's destiny or cause his experience.

SomeONE or someTHING determined that George would have that experience.

All I did was have the dream, as I've had numerous other precognitive dreams. All of which merely proves that for reasons as yet undiscovered by science, some of us are able occasionally -- through no effort of our own --- to 'pick up' or receive the future, before it occurs. (This seems to be an hereditary 'talent' which runs in families, as it does my own)

So, back now to the Past, Present and Future.

In the DREAM, five weeks ago, I 'received' George's distress calls.

5 weeks LATER, when George HAD the experience, I did NOT pick up his distress.

SO ----- WAS the DREAM actually the 'Present' ?

AND --- when George ACTUALLY had the experience, was he already in the PAST ?

Meaning ---- are we really just the Past ?

COULD IT *BE* that we are actually LIVING in what is really --- the PAST ??

Mmmmm ??

posted on Feb, 2 2007 @ 09:52 PM
link   
I have a friend that just had a similar thing go down. I'll have to call her and ask her the details again. I just remember that we came to the conclusion that she had somehow impressed her thoughts into someone's dream.

My Mom was clairevoyant, so I very much believe in psychic phenamona.
I have been having the weird experience of having someone that I really liked about 7 years back, popping into my dreams. They always tell me they miss me and are trying to kiss me. Now what's weird about this, is I was never hung up on this person after they disappeared out of my life. To be honest I pretty much completely forgot about them. In other words, there were others who were more significant in my life, who I sometimes think about, and you'd think they'd pop up in my dreams. But this one person always pops up and it's always pretty much the same scenario. I know this person liked me but was having some trouble dealing with their feelings. I often wonder if they are dreaming about me and coming into my dream somehow. I believe we possess 5 senses, but I believe we possess a 6th sense that truly is untapped. This is why I believe we know things sometimes right before they happen. Or we know exactly what's about to come out of someone's mouth before they say it.

I think the old man's thoughts entered you......kinda like lost radio waves.
Pretty neat.

EDIT:
Just read that you dreamt it before it happened.
Well, damn dude, your psychic.
Fine tune it and use it.

[edit on 2-2-2007 by rocknroll]

posted on Feb, 2 2007 @ 10:43 PM
link   
um yeah i have those from time to time but its always related to me and something thats affecting my life or i'm concerned about listen to youir dreams and act on them but dont tell anyone about it until after because if you do it will come true because everyone involved will be in the mindset that attracts it. all you can do is try to change the outcome k

posted on Feb, 3 2007 @ 12:15 AM
link   
Well, by definition, if time is not linear with the (apparent) present, past and future actually ocurring simultaneously, then they are all what we would call the present. (Assuming existence)
Practically speaking as well, the past and future has no "existence" for us, as you will always be in the present.

And as a PS, I would say that for the wish creating reality, or dream creating reality post that I have not really ever heard either seriously proposed. I HAVE heard belief creates reality. Belief is not as easily manipulated consciously as "wishing" is. Perhaps over time wishing with visualization could instill belief, but I think experience of the failure of wishing with visualitzation to create the desired outcome would just reinforce belief that Bush will not vanish, and I will not win the lottery. The idea of dreams creating reality if even weaker I would say, unless the dreams become real in some alternate universe. Otherwise there would be beautiful naked women running everywhere straight out of the dreams of adolescent males. (oh heck all males)

[edit on 3-2-2007 by Illusionsaregrander]

posted on Feb, 3 2007 @ 07:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by Illusionsaregrander
Well, by definition, if time is not linear with the (apparent) present, past and future actually ocurring simultaneously, then they are all what we would call the present. (Assuming existence)
Practically speaking as well, the past and future has no "existence" for us, as you will always be in the present.

And as a PS, I would say that for the wish creating reality, or dream creating reality post that I have not really ever heard either seriously proposed. I HAVE heard belief creates reality. Belief is not as easily manipulated consciously as "wishing" is. Perhaps over time wishing with visualization could instill belief, but I think experience of the failure of wishing with visualitzation to create the desired outcome would just reinforce belief that Bush will not vanish, and I will not win the lottery. The idea of dreams creating reality if even weaker I would say, unless the dreams become real in some alternate universe. Otherwise there would be beautiful naked women running everywhere straight out of the dreams of adolescent males. (oh heck all males)

[edit on 3-2-2007 by Illusionsaregrander]

well you're right about bush and the lottery but unless you have experienced this you cant understand it

posted on Feb, 3 2007 @ 01:36 PM
link   
"well you're right about bush and the lottery but unless you have experienced this you cant understand it"

You are absolutely right about this, that one has to have some experience of a thing to approach understanding. However experience does not guarantee understanding. In example, if one has dreams that are then experienced at an apparently "future" time, as Docks was, it could mean many things. The dream created the reality, the dream was precognitive of reality, etc.

I was guessing that that was why he proposed the idea about time perhaps not being linear, and if so what impact did that have on the apparent precognitive nature of the dream. Even if one has a dream today, that later plays out, a week after the dream, and one has the ability to alter events by changing their behaviour within the sequence the dream revealed, this doesnt by itself prove causation.

There is a physicist who proposes that all potential alternatives of all possible moments exist simultaneously, and that our experience of linear time is just the path consciousness picks through these potentials. If they exist already, however, consciousness is not causative, but selective. I am vastly over simplifying this, of course.

BTW, I am by no means saying that this is how it operates or that I believe this is how it operates, I honestly do not know. Only that these are possibilities given the information at hand, and considering the possibility that time may not be linear.

I do have some personal experience of belief "creating" reality or at least corresponding to it if you really want to get precise, ( and depending on your personal views regarding time) I do not however have any experience at all about a wish "creating" reality perhaps because psychologically wishes almost seem to reflect the opposite of belief. We often wish for what we believe we will NOT get, or at least, I do. I do, as I said, think that wishing with visualization could program belief over time if one was careful to avoid doing this in such a way that would actually reinforce the existing belief as I pointed out regarding Bush or the lottery.

posted on Feb, 5 2007 @ 11:50 PM
link   
We are actually living the past...interesting idea. The consequence is that the whole concept of "time" becomes questionable. Because, if in your dream you saw the future, your cousin and you were both in the past and the future. That would imply that we can live in the past and the present (future) at the same time, somehow...and/or numerous other possibilities.

I think that dreams are a dangerous territory. I completely agree with you that only some dreams are lucid, but who is to tell which ones? Sometimes, we could be tricked, by ourselves or other...so one has to be very careful.

Dock6, I just wanted to thank you on several very interesting posts, everything you write is very interesting and well balanced.

[edit on 6-2-2007 by swimmer]

posted on Feb, 13 2007 @ 12:12 PM
link   
Swimmer: thank you !

The thread disappeared very quickly and I only just now returned to it, to discover your kind comments. Thank you again :-)

Re: the theory of our 'living' in what is actually the past: the thought only occurred to me as I was rounding off my last post. Have to admit -- it's intrigued me ever since.

But is it beyond the bounds of possibility?

Far too late an hour here at the moment for me to expand on, so I won't try. But will return to it another day with hopefully a fresher brain.

posted on Apr, 8 2007 @ 12:24 PM
link   
Hi,

Extraordinary event Dock6, and thanks for sharing.

One possible explanation could be around Coincidence or Synchronicity.

Another explanation, as you described could be Precognition.

brotherthebig.

posted on Apr, 8 2007 @ 06:15 PM
link   
Hi Dock6

I am new to abovetopsecret.com. i have viewed this site with interest and was convinced to join after seeing your post.

I too had a precognitive dream, while in elementary school (over 12 yrs ago) that i still think about.

It was very early in the morning. I forget what time, but it was before 5am. My father leaves for work everyday at around that time for my entire life this is why i remember.

It was a quick dream, i remember looking up to se my dad falling from the sky, looking like he would land in a "crawl on your knees and hands" position. I woke up terrified and my first reaction was to call out for him.

I woke up both my parents and was told everything was ok, to go back to sleep. I did and life continued normally.

I forget how much time went by, (couple weeks, month or two) but one day i come home from school to find out from my sobbing mother that my dad had an accident at work.

He fell off a crane and landed on his knee. Thankfully He survived. i always knew that i had seen that event happen in the dream

posted on Apr, 9 2007 @ 11:22 AM
link   
Hi Aliasclifford: glad to hear your father was ok and welcome to the forums

Was that your first experience of precognition?

If so, you'll now be able to recognise that 'certain atmosphere' or 'after effect' or 'feeling' which accompanies precognitive dreams. I don't really know how to describe it, other than as a 'feeling' or 'after effect', but it's quite distinct as a rule. When you awake after a precognitive dream, it's different to other dreams: the dream stays with you, rather than dissipating as 'normal' dreams do. When you've experienced it once or twice, you will grow to recognise the feeling as the 'aura' (or whatever) of the precognitive dream. And very probably, you'll remember that dream about your father (and other precognitive dreams you've had/will have) for many, many years, if not for life.

Your parents will doubtless remember how you told them about the event prior to its occurrence. It may disturb them and cause them to decide it was all 'coincidence'. If so, hope you won't interpret that as rejection or disapproval. It's just fear, on their part. Many people are afraid of what they don't understand (and to date, we don't know why some people are able to see into the future). Also, parents fear for a child who's 'different'. They worry the child may be ridiculed and/or rejected by their peers and society. As result, parents often dismiss claims made by their children or deny the child's dream bore any real similarities to the later, real-life event. They do it in order to 'discourage' or 'stop' their child having any further precognitive dreams. They want their child to be 'normal'.

On the other hand, it may be that your parents have experienced precognition themselves, in which case they'll welcome the opportunity provided by your experience to discuss with you this very interesting aspect of life.

My parents have each had a number of accurate precognitive dreams and related phenomenon, as did their parents and other family members. My daughter has had several, including one a couple of weeks ago, involving myself, which turned out to be highly accurate . She'd told others about her dream beforehand, apparently, although she didn't tell me until after the incident had occurred in reality. It does appear that precognition is experienced by several members of a family, through several generations, sometimes. Whilst some welcome the opportunity to discuss these things, others refuse to do so for a variety of reasons, including their religious beliefs, fear itself and fear that to acknowledge their dream may result in its fulfillment.

I've grown to believe that precognitive dreams, visions and 'flashes' are entirely normal. Otherwise, why would we experience them spontaneously? But I realise that not everyone feels that way.

Anyway, Aliasclifford, I hope you enjoy being part of AboveTopSecret.com and look forward to reading many more posts from you !

And maybe you'll be less lazy than I am, and will begin a 'dream diary' and so be able to track your precognitive dreams and post them here and/or submit them to one of the many organisations which are studying this fascinating element in our lives

new topics

top topics

join