It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Black History Month...and other Months?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 2 2007 @ 04:33 PM
link   
My father was 1/4 Native American.
I believe he was Shawnee but it could be Iroquois. One of those Ohio groups.

posted on Feb, 3 2007 @ 03:03 AM
link   
Hey, truthseeka, I have Native American blood in my family too.

And I agree, there should be a Native American History month because their heritage, spirituality and history ought to be celebrated and cherished.

(Speaking of, I would love for someone to discuss the Black-Indian connection someday in a thread. I know for a fact that there are tribes in several parts of the country, but most notably in Louisiana and Florida. Although someone can also correct me on this fact too or update it.)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Otherwise, this was a list that I grew up with about the months that were celebrated. Anyone can help correct this list because sometimes, things change or get moved somehow.

February: Black History Month
February: Women's History Month

May: Asian History Month
May: Latino History Month (I'm not sure, but someone can correct me on this)

June: Gay Pride Month

I know that there are other Awareness months (Like Breast Cancer Awareness Month) in there, but that's some information.

And, thelibra, thank you very much for posting this thread. It's refreshing for a change to post to something positive and life affirming. I certainly hope that within this thread that other people can contribute some good information (thanks, truthseeka
) about Black History Month so we can all learn something new.

[edit on 3-2-2007 by ceci2006]

posted on Feb, 3 2007 @ 06:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by ceci2006
May: Latino History Month (I'm not sure, but someone can correct me on this)

I already posted that Hispanic Heritage month is September.
www.cr.nps.gov...
www.educationworld.com...

Native American Indian Heritage month - November
www.defenselink.mil...
www.infoplease.com...

Edited to add - Breast Cancer Awareness has adapted October as their month. I don't know if it has any presidential decree like Hispanic Heritage Month, Native American Indian Month, and Black History Month ...

www.nbcam.com...

[edit on 2/3/2007 by FlyersFan]

posted on Feb, 3 2007 @ 06:53 AM
link   
ask Johnny Annonomous he knows!

Personaly I think a great month woud be

"Let's make What U KNO Emporer of the World" month in December. it's not official yet. I am trying to put it through to congress but I am having little results.

posted on Feb, 3 2007 @ 10:37 AM
link   
I am declaring June to be White History Month. I wonder how long I can keep that up before I am sued. Id give it .. 3 days.

August can be Asian Month, and October Latino Month, and then December can be mixed race month!

Ah how stupid that sounds. No race should get any month, or day, or anything.

posted on Feb, 3 2007 @ 02:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rockpuck
No race should get any month, or day, or anything.

How about Human Being Month?
This way all of us are included.
Nobody's excluded or left out.
Yeah, it's kinda pointless, but at least it'll make everyone happy.

posted on Feb, 3 2007 @ 09:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by rocknroll

Originally posted by Rockpuck
No race should get any month, or day, or anything.

How about Human Being Month?
This way all of us are included.
Nobody's excluded or left out.
Yeah, it's kinda pointless, but at least it'll make everyone happy.

What if you don't concider or recognise most people as human beings but human existings? Wouldent be nice to automaticly become a racist.

I still am pushing for the What U KNO for Emporer of the world month for December and I still havent gotten a single call back from DC

posted on Feb, 3 2007 @ 09:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by whatukno
What if you don't concider or recognise most people as human beings but human existings?

Um, Human Existence Month?

posted on Feb, 5 2007 @ 07:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by truthseeka
But, I do wonder why the shortest month in the year is BHM...

Occasionally they steal an extra day.

posted on Feb, 7 2007 @ 07:56 PM
link   
There have been several questions about why BHM is needed. I found this historical blurb from Court TV. It has a precise explaination (adding on to truthseeka's post
) why Black History was started and its legacy:

History of Black History Month

Negro History Week, the precursor to Black History Month, was first celebrated in 1926. It was the brainchild of Dr. Carter G. Woodson, the prominent African-American leader, scholar and author who almost single-handedly popularized the idea that blacks should be proud of their heritage and that all Americans should understand the saga of blacks in the United States. "If a race has no history, if it has no worthwhile tradition," he wrote, "it becomes a negligible factor in the thought of the world, and it stands in danger of being exterminated."
[...]

Woodson chose February for Negro History Week to honor Abraham Lincoln and Frederick Douglass, both of whom were born in the middle of that month. The event, he hoped, would aid in "building self-esteem among blacks [and] would help eliminate prejudice among whites." Woodson, generally recognized as "the father of Negro history," died in 1950.

In the 1970s, Negro History Week was expanded and became Black History Month. Black History Month is now regularly honored by schools, newspapers and publishers across the country.

[edit on 7-2-2007 by ceci2006]

top topics

<< 1   >>

join