It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Muslim shopworker refuses to sell cigarettes

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 2 2007 @ 07:40 PM
link   
Pieman

It's like the old Moonshine running days then.
I used to live in a tobacco producing state.
They were tax free...that is if you snuck into one of the curing barns, and snagged your own leaf..LOL, which we did..HARSH cough cough.

I must say though, that I have seen many many reports of this blackmarket stuff going on. One just the other night. I think it was an older report, about the time of the Link I posted..2004 or so.
The guys were reselling up in Detroit, some were linked with terrorist groups.
Do you think it's not happening at all, or just not as much as being reported?

posted on Feb, 2 2007 @ 07:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nygdan

A SMOKER was refused cigarettes at a Cambridge store because the Muslim shop assistant said it was against her religion to sell tobacco.

There is no restriction on the smoking of tobacco in islam.

Indeed, also a guy I went to school with was training to be an Islamic scholar, he told me that the Koran says " when in a foreign non-muslim land If wearing a beard, religious clothing or anything that identifies you as a muslim will put you at harm or is offensive to the people of said land then Allah will forgive you for not wearing these things" The Guy also told me the thing you've mentioned about smoking.

I am totally against the demonizing of Muslims but some Muslims do make it very difficult for the majority.

[edit on 2/2/07 by Jimmy1880]

posted on Feb, 2 2007 @ 08:06 PM
link   
SpaceD
I don't wanna trash the thread since its a whole different topic but when you talk about trailerloads of contraband you are talking about organized crime. You can't just buy a trailerload of a federally controlled inventory like that and just take it anywhere. That stuff is usually due to hijackings.
These arabs you are talking about are small potatoes and they are just taking advantage of a situation just like moonshiners of old. Cmon if they were making millions at a pop don't you think with all the control they have over banks they would track it right away?

This whole article is just another attempt to demonize muslims. It has nothing to do with her religion and everything to do with her personal feelings on the matter. Yes I guess Muslims can be like a PETA activist, a VEGAN or any other kind of activist. She just has no business bringing it into the business end of her life unless its her own shop and thats how she wishes to do business. Which then she would have a choice not to even stock cigarettes at all.

posted on Feb, 2 2007 @ 09:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by shots
Tragic is what it is.

Refusing to sell cigarettes because of (a misinterpretation of) her religion? That is indeed tragic.
. Heck she should be congratulated. I mean, even though it's unethical (she's imposing her viewpoints on other people) she could potentially be extending the smokers lives.

As other ATSers pointed out Catholics/Christians etc have refused to sell condoms so what makes this any different?

My view is that she should have been working elsewhere where she didn't have to sell cigarettes. Also I'm curious as to how a Muslim refusing to sell cigarettes constitutes a 'conspiracy'?

Originally posted by shots
What a sick religion
:dn

Nice job on conforming to the general Western view of Islam. Aren't you just perpetuating the ignorance that turns moderate Muslims to extremists?

posted on Feb, 3 2007 @ 04:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by madnessinmysoul

nice job with that stereotype there

ignorance at its finest

Excuse me I am not sterotyping anyone. Moderate Muslims are doing that all on their own, all I am doing is telling it like it is.

If you have time read Londonistan by Melanie Phillips

Read the reviews here

Kindly note the 4+ rating of the book by 73 readers

[edit on 2/3/2007 by shots]

posted on Feb, 3 2007 @ 04:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by Chaoticar
Aren't you just perpetuating the ignorance that turns moderate Muslims to extremists?

No not at all. just read the book mentioned above.The author proves that Moderate Muslims are doing that all on their own.

[edit on 2/3/2007 by shots]

posted on Feb, 3 2007 @ 04:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by XphilesPhan

I dont see how you can draw a parallel here

What I am saying is that she objected to it on religious grounds. There are no religious objects to it though, indeed, every other muslim in the country doesn't have a problem with it. It was just this one woman that, i think, was so unfamiliar with her own religious text, because she was a convert, and just had a plain old warped sense of what it is to be a muslim, that she thought it shouldn't be permited. So I wonder if this woman is a recent convert also.

If her religion prevents her from selling cigarettes then that's great, but, she shouldn't be working somewhere that requires selling cigarettes as part of the job duties. Plain and simple.

Indeed. But, agian, there is no requirement to not smoke cigs, let alone sell them to unbeleivers, or even to not touch them.

selfless
religion aside, i am glad a person refused to contribute to the tobacco industry.

She's working in a store that purchases cigarettes from the industry in bulk. THe very fact that she is working there is aiding the industry.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join