It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Muslim shopworker refuses to sell cigarettes

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 2 2007 @ 07:24 AM
link   
Heres another one that let their religion get in the way of thier job
www.cambridge-news.co.uk...
take a look

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Fixed spelling in title

[edit on 2/2/07 by masqua]

posted on Feb, 2 2007 @ 12:44 PM
link   
I don't understand why they didn't get another shopworker to sell them then... Or let the customer get the smokes herself and leave the money on the counter!

This reminds me of Christians refusing to sell condoms and Catholic pharmacists refusing to stock birth control.

This is a Political Conspiracy?

[edit on 2-2-2007 by Benevolent Heretic]

posted on Feb, 2 2007 @ 12:49 PM
link   

A SMOKER was refused cigarettes at a Cambridge store because the Muslim shop assistant said it was against her religion to sell tobacco.

There is no restriction on the smoking of tobacco in islam.

Anyone that knows anything about islamic culture would know this. Go to a shisha shop and ask the men there if tobacco is forbidden in islam.

I wouldn't be surprised if the person that refused to sell the cigs was a convert to islam, it seems like a lot of westerners are completely ignorant of what islam is about, assume that its as restrictive as other ignorant westerners tell them, and then convert and try to live like that.

Similar to the woman from Florida in teh US who refused to remove her veil when getting her driver's license photo taken.

BH
This reminds me of Christians refusing to sell condoms and Catholic pharmacists refusing to stock birth control.

Indeed. And many people were supportive of that.

posted on Feb, 2 2007 @ 01:02 PM
link   
Nygdan, I'm thinking this girl interpreted something in the Koran to mean that she shouldn't touch nasty cigarettes or somesuch. Just like some hard-line Christians interpret something in the bible to mean that women shouldn't wear pants.

When I was a kid, we couldn't wear pants, have playing cards or dance, my mother told us "because it was against our religion".

I'm just saying...

posted on Feb, 2 2007 @ 01:14 PM
link   
:shk: :shk: :shk: What domes next?

Tragic is what it is. It would seem the only thing that is allowed is death, violence, beating, stoning etc.

What a sick religion

posted on Feb, 2 2007 @ 01:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nygdan

Anyone that knows anything about islamic culture would know this. Go to a shisha shop and ask the men there if tobacco is forbidden in islam.

No, there isnt any restriction on smoking in islam. Dont they have those huge hookahs and puff away at their cafes?

Similar to the woman from Florida in teh US who refused to remove her veil when getting her driver's license photo taken.

I dont see how you can draw a parallel here... the purpose of photo ID is so you can be identified, it defeats the purpose if the pic is of a scarf and not a face.

posted on Feb, 2 2007 @ 01:40 PM
link   
If her religion prevents her from selling cigarettes then that's great, but, she shouldn't be working somewhere that requires selling cigarettes as part of the job duties. Plain and simple. Maybe she should go work for Nicorette? It seems they agree with her issue on smoking..........

Don't get me wrong...I have nothing against religion. My problem lies with someone pushing their beliefs on someone else, be it directly or indirectly. The same goes for all religions...If you believe that birth control is murder, great...go start your own pharmacy where no birth control is sold. You don't believe in smoking or selling cigarettes? Awesome...I find it kinda gross too...but still..go work for a store that doesn't sell cigarettes.

All this hoo ha is getting a little out of hand.

BH.......What religion are people not allowed to wear pants?? Sign me up! If I could wear shorts or swim trunks all year where I live.....wooo!
I'm just being sassy

posted on Feb, 2 2007 @ 01:40 PM
link   
I think a sizable portion of Islamic Middle Eastern men are cigarette smokers.
Maybe she's just very against smoking, period.
I need to look through the Bible and find reasons not to do my duties at work...LOL!
j/k

posted on Feb, 2 2007 @ 01:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by YoBrandonRaps
BH.......What religion are people not allowed to wear pants?? Sign me up! If I could wear shorts or swim trunks all year where I live.....wooo!
I'm just being sassy

Its customary in some churches for women not to wear pants. I dont agree with it, but there are some who think women shouldnt wear pants so they wear those long denim skirts/dresses instead.

posted on Feb, 2 2007 @ 02:01 PM
link   
It must be ok.
Talk to the cigarette traffickers . The ones funding Hezzbolah, Al Qaeda, etc.

Buy in North Carolina, where the taxes are low, sell them in Detroit..Make about 7 dollars per carton.

Black market ciggies

posted on Feb, 2 2007 @ 02:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by YoBrandonRaps
I'm just being sassy

My parent's were strict fundamentalist Christians when I was young. And, uh, shorts were also out of the question.

posted on Feb, 2 2007 @ 02:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nygdan

Then it looks like it's a personal problem. It's not a matter of religion. It's a worker not wanting to do their job and blaming it on religion. Fire the non-working worker.

posted on Feb, 2 2007 @ 03:11 PM
link   
The article specifically states that the basis on her judgment was "She started saying she doesn't agree with smoking, that it kills you."

Using this logic, every religion of the world condemns cigarettes. I have had much discussion about cigarettes in Islam with my friends, and some think that it should be forbidden because it can be considered as a slow form of suicide, other think that it doesn't effect judgment of an individual by causing intoxication or inebriation, so there shouldn't be a ban on it. Regardless, I won't smoke it because of the health effects.

posted on Feb, 2 2007 @ 03:26 PM
link   
When you apply for a job you need to be asked if there is anything that prevents you from doing your job.

If you job involves selling alcohol or cigarretts and your religion prevents you from doing this, then you shouldn't take the job.

I find this silly. If I ran the shop, she'd be canned for not doing her job.

posted on Feb, 2 2007 @ 03:43 PM
link   
religion aside, i am glad a person refused to contribute to the tobacco industry.

posted on Feb, 2 2007 @ 03:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by spacedoubt

It must be ok.

Buy in North Carolina, where the taxes are low, sell them in Detroit..Make about 7 dollars per carton.

Black market ciggies

My guy is Israeli and he sells to Arabs. So who is he funding? Thats a load of BS and its intended to scare people off from buying bootlegs. If its a problem then they should lower the prices in the name of national security.
Bootleggers are funding their own pockets.

posted on Feb, 2 2007 @ 03:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wildbob77
I find this silly. If I ran the shop, she'd be canned for not doing her job.

Yeah, if her job was to stand behind the counter and only sell cigarettes.

Don't you know that they do have other duties in the store? Firing an employee for not selling one product is not very wise, and would leave you with a very short team.

posted on Feb, 2 2007 @ 03:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by shots
:shk: :shk: :shk: What domes next?

Tragic is what it is. It would seem the only thing that is allowed is death, violence, beating, stoning etc.

What a sick religion

nice job with that stereotype there

ignorance at its finest

anyway
this is just funny to me
like when christians refuse to sell birth control at a pharmacy that stocks it
why can't i go work at a wal-mart, in the sporting goods section, and refuse to sell guns because it goes against my personal morality if they can do that?

though, i think this guy has his islam backwards...

posted on Feb, 2 2007 @ 05:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by ThePieMaN

It must be ok.

Black market ciggies

My guy is Israeli and he sells to Arabs. So who is he funding? Thats a load of BS and its intended to scare people off from buying bootlegs. If its a problem then they should lower the prices in the name of national security.
Bootleggers are funding their own pockets.

Really?
Your guy buys in a low tax state, and resells them in a high tax state?
What does he do with the profit? A Trailerload can bring over a million bucks, if bought and sold properly.

posted on Feb, 2 2007 @ 07:33 PM
link   

Really?
Your guy buys in a low tax state, and resells them in a high tax state?
What does he do with the profit? A Trailerload can bring over a million bucks, if bought and sold properly.

Yeah seems like Delaware and VA. Here in NYS not only do cigarettes cost 7.00 a pack they come with this nasty new paper thats been chemically treated to extinguish itself every few seconds. I have no clue what he does with the profits but he always hangs out with the arabs at the hookah place and plays backgammon with them. I wouldn't believe all that stuff about Hezbollah and Hamas selling cigarettes, they just don't want people circumventing the taxes since they make a boatload of money on cigs.
If it was such a concern they would do something besides constantly raising the tax.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join