It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

13% of Americans Never Heard about Global Warming ...and Exxon Tries to Buy Scientists

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 2 2007 @ 06:33 AM
link   
A survey on the awareness of global warming by ACNielsen was released a few days ago. It was conducted on internet users, 25.408 people in 46 countries. Amazingly the next-least aware were Americans. 13% had never heard about it. Only people in the United Arab Emirates (16%) were more ignorant of global warming than they. The most aware were Czechs with ony 1% unaware of the phenomenon. The second most aware was the Chinese with 2% ignorant about the problem. No doubt the release of this pool is timed to coincide with the IPPC report commisioned by UN. It seems that the American Enterprise Institute (AEI), an ExxonMobil-funded thinktank, has tried to buy scientist to discredit that report. Letters have been sent to scientists in Britain, the US and elsewhere, offering 10.000 dollars to attack the UN's panel.

environment.guardian.co.uk
The UN report was written by international experts and is widely regarded as the most comprehensive review yet of climate change science. It will underpin international negotiations on new emissions targets to succeed the Kyoto agreement, the first phase of which expires in 2012. World governments were given a draft last year and invited to comment.

The AEI has received more than $1.6m from ExxonMobil and more than 20 of its staff have worked as consultants to the Bush administration. Lee Raymond, a former head of ExxonMobil, is the vice-chairman of AEI's board of trustees.

Climate scientists described the move yesterday as an attempt to cast doubt over the "overwhelming scientific evidence" on global warming. "It's a desperate attempt by an organisation who wants to distort science for their own political aims," said David Viner of the Climatic Research Unit at the University of East Anglia.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

While it's hard to believe people in America being that ignorant --and in addition internet users-- it is quite predictable that big oil goes around with its bribes when they don't like the news.

"The AEI is more than just a thinktank, it functions as the Bush administration's intellectual Cosa Nostra," Ben Stewart of Greenpeace said.

That the stories are related is obvious. Americans are NOT stupid, but they're manipulated to a degree people elsewhere can have no idea about. When a body can expose itself in a manner like this, openly offering bribes, what means do they then resort to in the manipulations they carry out on people on its homemarket?

I just don't get how so many people can buy it. And that is what I like to see discussed --not the IPPC report, it will be discussed elsewhere in other threads-- why do some people have a hard time believing Global Warming? ...if they've heard about it.

The related newslinks are about the ACNielsen survey, the ATS threads about GW and the IPPC report.

Related News Links:
www.newscientist.com
www.newsmax.com
today.reuters.com

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
Warming 'likely' man-made, unstoppable
U.N. climate report will shock the world!
Global Warming Debate Turns Ugly

[edit on 2-2-2007 by khunmoon]

posted on Feb, 2 2007 @ 07:39 PM
link   
Did you watch a documentary called "Jesus Camp" it seems like these religious people believe that there is no Global Warming problem and that this is just something natural. I would think this also helps these big companies as well as the current administration hide the facts due to their mind being trained to believe its just a conspiracy and not an actual fact.

posted on Feb, 2 2007 @ 08:14 PM
link   
I don't believe that humans are causing the Earth to heat up. Is that a problem?

posted on Feb, 2 2007 @ 08:16 PM
link   

Did you watch a documentary called "Jesus Camp" it seems like these religious people believe that there is no Global Warming problem and that this is just something natural. I would think this also helps these big companies as well as the current administration hide the facts due to their mind being trained to believe its just a conspiracy and not an actual fact.

Yeah and they say that human can use everything the earth have, don't care about the consequences because jesus is coming back soon... and there's 80 millions of those nutjobs in the US?
I'm betting that the 13% are evangelicals extremists and that they love Bush.

posted on Feb, 2 2007 @ 08:18 PM
link   
Humans actions against the environment is what is the problem in the acceleration of global warming.

We live our lives and enjoy a comfortable living but we never stop to think how much damage we do in our everyday living to the environment.

As the dominant species we humans think that we can control everything but actually we are more fragile that we think.

We are at the mercy of nature no the other way around.

posted on Feb, 2 2007 @ 09:29 PM
link   
I agree with Marg, human activities certainly are a great part to blame for the situation, but does the ignorance really come down to christian fundamentalism?

The gravity of reports issued is on a steep uphill curve, now 90% sure that affects will be disasterous.

The Will of God!!??

posted on Feb, 2 2007 @ 09:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by khunmoon

The Will of God!!??

I believe that, may be the reason why the fundamentalist comes into question.

Leave it to the will of god.

posted on Feb, 2 2007 @ 09:36 PM
link   
I thought the earth's core was heating up, what's this about a greenhouse effect I hear, eh?
*goes back to being a dumb American*

posted on Feb, 2 2007 @ 09:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by marg6043
Humans actions against the environment is what is the problem in the acceleration of global warming.

We live our lives and enjoy a comfortable living but we never stop to think how much damage we do in our everyday living to the environment.

As the dominant species we humans think that we can control everything but actually we are more fragile that we think.

We are at the mercy of nature no the other way around.

Wow, I completely agree. The only way to delay or minimize global warming is for us humans is to be less intrusive and less destructive, and more aware so that we can minimize our impact.

This means yelling it in the face of this 13% of Americans.

www.stopglobalwarming.org...

posted on Feb, 2 2007 @ 11:18 PM
link   
Yes, only we can do it, but when a great part of us are in the pockets of Big oil, figuratively speaking, and when the heart's core is CFs, what can you do then?

The technologies, the alternatives to combustion, as well as the new fuels for the internal combustion engine itself, are there. But we are not ready for it yet.

Not meaning it's not something we can't comprehend or are yet to deserve.

No, it means not before the last dollar has been wrenched out of the present setup, we're not gonna invest in or realese any new technologies.

They don't waste any money, cause they only care about themselves, not about any future beyond their own. And they only care about us to buy their junk.

posted on Feb, 2 2007 @ 11:27 PM
link   
Just the other day I saw a small poll on the net on this subject.

43% of the voters said that GW is happening and we need to cut emissions for our future's sake.
The rest of the votes went to "don't believe in GW," "it is too late," and "it is natural."

I'm only paraphrasing but I honestly expected less than 43% would vote this way. For a while I almost gave up hope that enough people gave a crap in this world to try and make a difference.

posted on Feb, 2 2007 @ 11:35 PM
link   
I don't believe 16% of adult Americans have never heard of global warming. It is all over America. Even evangelical Christians have heard of it considering they deny it.

That survey is BS, sorry. Am I to believe more Chinese people have heard of it when most Chinese people don't even have TV's or methods of learning about such things while Americans/British/etc. do?

And since this is online, only the wealthier types in poor countries (such as China where most don't have access to the internet) are only being interviewed.

It is horribly skewed and shouldn't be trusted.

posted on Feb, 2 2007 @ 11:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by RetinoidReceptor
I don't believe 16% of adult Americans have never heard of global warming. ...
And since this is online, only the wealthier types in poor countries (such as China where most don't have access to the internet) are only being interviewed.

It is horribly skewed and shouldn't be trusted.

Excactly what I thought when I first saw it.

They're just denying because they don't wanna recognise the problem. Damn, they know it!

It could also mean that the internet users in China are relatively better educated than in America.

new topics

top topics

join