It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Chinese Space Debris Problem

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 2 2007 @ 12:57 AM
link   
New information on the chinese anti-satellite test. There is a pretty scary article on Drudge today talking about all the debris from test and how it is spreadig out into orbits where the space station passes through twice each orbit.

chinese space debris problem

When the Chinese government destroyed one of its weather satellites in a military test last month, it sent a chill through the U.S. military.

And engineers say it had a serious side effect -- it increased the amount of orbiting space junk by about 10 percent.

But what followed was chaos in space. As of today, Kelso reports that American radar is tracking at least 525 pieces of debris from the collision -- each at least the size of a baseball. There are probably hundreds, if not thousands, of smaller ones. The pieces are gradually spreading out in a ring around the Earth, creating a vast area where spacecraft face increased danger of being hit. "We've already seen in the range of 500 to 600 events where some piece of debris from this one event was coming within 5 kilometers [about 3 miles] of some payload.

If a shuttle crew ever does find damage, the astronauts would have to seek safe haven on the International Space Station, and wait for a second shuttle to get them. Such an accident, NASA's administator, Michael Griffin, has said, would probably mean the end of the shuttle program.

So, the question becomes, are the chinese just that stupid, or did they do it on purpose, hoping to neutralize the U.S. advantage in space with a "cloud of anti-satellite weapons (debris)? All the while claiming that any resulting damage was "an accident".

[edit on 2/2/2007 by centurion1211]

posted on Feb, 2 2007 @ 01:19 AM
link   
Did on purpose 100%, imo China is trying to beat the USA every way it can without resorting to massive war. they are killing the American economy and this has potential to kill their space program or damage it severly.

posted on Feb, 2 2007 @ 02:26 AM
link   
if i recall correctly,
the Chinese couldn't accomplish a successful launch or satellite
insertion before 1996...then the WhiteSands 'missing' laptops
and the Defense Dept. 'allowing' the sale of launch technology
to China under the guise of Trade

Perhaps, this falls into the Presidents cryptic reference about
the 'Angel & the Whirlwind' ??

secondly, i wonder if this 'cloud' of debris (essentially a sabotage job)
is concentrated in the paths of the supposedly defunct constellation of Motorola's ~Iridium~ satellites??

and my thinking-cap is on the shelf collecting dust

posted on Feb, 2 2007 @ 02:42 AM
link   
I think this is only a show.
China is telling USA:
American is not the king of the world, if they don't know that,
China will force them to know that.
this anti-satellite test is good to the world, because if no one in this world is able to restrict Americans, Americans will abuse its power.

[edit on 2-2-2007 by gs001]

posted on Feb, 2 2007 @ 03:39 AM
link   
10%, that is quite alot.
I must add in my opinion, China seems to be getting at America lately somewhat to gain advantages, if America see's they may of done this on purpose though, it may raise tension.

posted on Feb, 2 2007 @ 11:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by gs001
I think this is only a show.
[edit on 2-2-2007 by gs001]

Since it created a danger to both manned and unmanned spacecraft, this was way more than just a "show".

I wonder, though, would people call it karma if it was a chinese spacecraft that got zapped by their own debris?

new topics

top topics

join