It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

EU Smoking Ban

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 1 2007 @ 11:43 PM
link   
Smoking Ban
I'm sure there will be mixed feelings about this. Some people will complain that this is just more control being imposed on the people by the oppressive government. Others will rejoice at the cleaner air in Europe.

Personally, I'm a smoker and I think smoking should be outlawed completely. The only way I'll quit is if they aren't for sale.

posted on Feb, 1 2007 @ 11:48 PM
link   
I'm completely for a ban on smoking.

The arguement against it usually seems to be that "you're taking away their rights" but the problem is that smoking doesnt just affect the person smoking, it is a risk to the health of everyone around them which just isnt fair.

I feel i have a right not to get lung cancer from second hand smoke because some idiot feels the need to smoke in public all day.

posted on Feb, 1 2007 @ 11:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by SpaceCalamari

The arguement against it usually seems to be that "you're taking away their rights" but the problem is that smoking doesnt just affect the person smoking, it is a risk to the health of everyone around them which just isnt fair.

I feel i have a right not to get lung cancer from second hand smoke because some idiot feels the need to smoke in public all day.

Whaaaaa! its not fair!

then go somewhere else! its common sense! Oh, and I have never seen conclusive evidence that "second-hand" smoke causes any ill effects. I mean sure, if your in a cloud of it, there could be a risk, but simply getting a whiff of it isnt going to kill you.

posted on Feb, 2 2007 @ 12:04 AM
link   

then go somewhere else! its common sense! Oh, and I have never seen conclusive evidence that "second-hand" smoke causes any ill effects. I mean sure, if your in a cloud of it, there could be a risk, but simply getting a whiff of it isnt going to kill you.

This argument isn't going to get you far.

I lived in two states now that have banned smoking in "public places" Washington and Hawaii. Hawaii's law took affect in mid nov. The law states that you can't smoke in public places or within 20 feet of any entrance. A local strip mall owner has upped the ante by saying no smoking within the entire shopping center. (that includes the parking lot) Just today in the local paper, the headline wrote: local bars sue Hawaii. Theses bars were quoted being for the ban prior to the legislation going into effect. They didn't think it would effect their biz. Now the want money back for the sales they've lost.

Overall, if it effects those around you, which it does, I agree with smoking being axed within certain "public areas." However if someone wants to smoke go for it. Just don't blow it near me and don't huddle up at the entrance to places.

As for the above statement quoted, I find it hard to believe that long term exposure to "2nd hand smoke" doesn't kill. Think of the bar tenders and waitresses that have to work in it.

Edn

posted on Feb, 2 2007 @ 12:10 AM
link   
Well my uncle died because of smoking of which second hand smoke was a contributor to his death.

I personally welcome any effort to reduce smoking, before the ban in Scotland if someone was smoking on a resterant or bar or what have you I found it extremely difficult to breath and id quickly get headaches.

XphilesPhan why on Earth should everyone else go elsewhere if your the one polluting the air, you should be the one to go elsewhere.

Is there even an argument for smoking? Rights have nothing to do with it as the person beside you has the right no non-polluted air. The only other reason for smoking is to kill yourself slowly whilst trying to take as many with you as possible in which case you may as well just jump off a bridge and get it over with.

posted on Feb, 2 2007 @ 12:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by Edn
XphilesPhan why on Earth should everyone else go elsewhere if your the one polluting the air, you should be the one to go elsewhere.

Sure, if proper facilities are provided from the taxes collected on tobacco. I would be happy to. But no, instead people in my state have decided to punish smokers by taking their tax money and using it on healthcare for the homeless. WTF?!

[edit on 2-2-2007 by XphilesPhan]

posted on Feb, 2 2007 @ 12:54 AM
link   
It's a joke. Let people do what they want.

If a shop owner doesn't want people smoking in his shop or restaurant or whatever, fine.

But outdoors, in someone's private home, or in an establishment that allows it, live and let be.

Lets ban motorcars. They pollute far worse than smokers. Factories too.

posted on Feb, 2 2007 @ 01:05 AM
link   

It's a joke. Let people do what they want.

If a shop owner doesn't want people smoking in his shop or restaurant or whatever, fine.

But outdoors, in someone's private home, or in an establishment that allows it, live and let be.

Lets ban motorcars. They pollute far worse than smokers. Factories too.

Why should those in their daily routines be subject to others poison? You are posioning yourself good luck with that! No one else should be forced into your lifestlye.

Maybe x amount of bar owners can get a permit to allow smoking. X being a percentage of the public areas well distributed thoughout the city. If the owner wants it, is up front with the employees and customers it is now a enter at your own risk venue.

Sure, if proper facilities are provided from the taxes collected on tobacco. I would be happy to. But no, instead people in my state have decided to punish smokers by taking their tax money and using it on healthcare for the homeless. WTF?!

If only we could see and choose were my taxes went......No I'm not saying its right but its how it is. You might have better luck getting the cig corp's to provide your facility.

posted on Feb, 2 2007 @ 01:13 AM
link   
The ironic thing is as soon as smokes go illegal they become a black market item easily obtainable and makes criminals rich. People will find ways to harm themselves and thats just the sad fact, I dont smoke ciggarettes but I smoke other things occasionaly so I wouldnt mind seeing tobacco treated the same way as grass.

posted on Feb, 2 2007 @ 01:40 AM
link   
Outright banning the substance is not the right choice. Guns, drugs, alcohol, and food amongst many other things kill people.... Or do they. It seems the way the gov't thinks we will learn is by taking the toy away from the baby!

It still wants to play, maybe even more now that you don't want it to or it can't. Will it climb the cage?

People need to choose for themselves, to smoke and how much. I just don't think their choices should effect others. (smoking in public)

posted on Feb, 2 2007 @ 04:34 AM
link   
I don't think any government should be allowed to tell you what you can or can't do in your own home, or on your property.

If a LOCAL government, decides that second hand smoke is a risk, then the answer isn't to outright ban smoking, but to encourage non-smoking with possible tax-breaks for non-smoking facilities or a ban on smoking in the street. I personnaly think that the FDA is more of a health risk then Big Tobacco.

I wish all these people who are conviced that the tobacco industry is evil would put all that energy into fighting something that matters, like saving Darfur, or improving education.

[edit on 2-2-2007 by Nicotine1982]

posted on Feb, 2 2007 @ 08:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by Nicotine1982
I don't think any government should be allowed to tell you what you can or can't do in your own home, or on your property.

So you're saying that if I want to smoke crack while playing online poker with a prostitute on my lap the government should mind is beeswax instead of being silly geese?
I'm not saying I want to do all those things, I mean, after all, online poker is pretty boring...
gimmie those ribs you.
Seriously, do you think there should be a line?

I personnaly think that the FDA is more of a health risk then Big Tobacco.

I agree wholeheartedly, and that's why I shop at whole foods.

posted on Feb, 2 2007 @ 10:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by SpaceCalamari

might as well ban drinking too that kills people and is proven. Take away video games because they have been known to hurt people causing carpeltunnel. I could go on and on. Dont give them an inch my friend or the next thing they may ban may effect you and yours.

posted on Feb, 2 2007 @ 10:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by whoknew
Think of the bar tenders and waitresses that have to work in it.

Well then get another job if it bothers them so much. I have to go on window washing scaffolds for some of my jobs. Can I cry and say it might be a danger to my health? No, they'd say get another job.

You know why bartenders won't get another job? Because they make a but load of money for only working half the time most of us do. So, quit whinning and get another job already.

Bars are not health clubs. No one goes to a bar to get more healthy. I think at least bars should have the option to be smoking or not.

As a smoker, I agree that cigarrettes should be banned.

BTW, my local bar that I go to has seen a huge drop in sales since DC went smoke free last month.

posted on Feb, 2 2007 @ 11:08 AM
link   
Those of you who smoke, why don't you, just for a change, lie down and periodically pour toilet cleaner fluid into your eyes?

Sounds silly doesn't it? How is smoking any different?

I can never understand why anybody with an ounce of common sense would put a burning mass of highly toxic chemicals into their mouths and WILLINGLY suck the fumes directly into their lungs, in the process blocking the intake of oxygen.

There is not one single beneficial effect from smoking, and so many detrimental. It really has to be a no brainer. So if you want to poison yourself, go ahead and do it, but don't expect unwilling victims to join you involuntarily.

I am sure you would frown, or worse, if someone passed gas near you and you could not escape its effects. Why should smoking be considered more acceptable than this?

[edit on 2-2-2007 by Englishman_in_Spain]

posted on Feb, 2 2007 @ 11:15 AM
link   
Really, anyone that ignores the health effects of second hand smoking don't have a clue about whats in them.. Even simple knowledge of chemistry, should clear things up quite a bit. There's definately an increased chance of cancer development, by smoking.

Non-smoker, and I'm all for a ban. My astma sure doesn't like it. And I don't know how they are in the US, but over here all young smokers tend to ignore any smoking bans in public places.

posted on Feb, 2 2007 @ 11:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by Englishman_in_Spain
I can never understand why anybody with an ounce of common sense would put a burning mass of highly toxic chemicals into their mouths and WILLINGLY suck the fumes directly into their lungs, in the process blocking the intake of oxygen.

For people who start smoking nowadays I can agree with you. Obviously you've never been a smoker. When I started smoking it was known that they weren't very good for you but not to the extent that they have found out lately. So, for us older smokers it is more an addiction that we got suckered into than anything else. So, get off your high-and-mighty horse please. Until you yourself has confronted an addiction.

As far as health. Back in the early 19th century, far more people smoked (nearly everyone). Presently, why is it that cancer has increased, while smoking has decreased? Answer: Because smoking is not the sole cause.

posted on Feb, 2 2007 @ 11:21 AM
link   
I'm from D.C. like a griff. I was a little over a pack a day smoker for the past 6 years. Banning smoking in bars around D.C. has helped me to be smoke free (albeit very irritable) for the past 5 weeks. I know it is extremely more culturally acceptable to be a smoker in Europe, but trust me the ban.....good idea. Public places I'm all for it, if you wanna kill yourself in the privacy of your own home or your outside porch, be my guest!

posted on Feb, 2 2007 @ 11:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by Thain Esh Kelch
Non-smoker, and I'm all for a ban. My astma sure doesn't like it. And I don't know how they are in the US, but over here all young smokers tend to ignore any smoking bans in public places.

It's the same here from what I have seen, especially at my college. There are signs on each building informing people not to smoke within 30 feet of the building, but people did anyways. I know I wasn't alone in my frustration, having to run a gauntlet of 2nd hand smoke every class change. I thank God they finally started enforcing it last semester and I can go from class to class without having to hold my breath.

Yeah I know I'm making it sound all dramatic
but it really was some what of an annoyance. I don't believe in a ban on cigarettes all together, but keeping them out of public places would defiantly be nice.

posted on Feb, 2 2007 @ 11:36 AM
link   
Its pretty simple.

When you do something that affects someone else...

Point is, smoking, or smoke, travels.
You cannot contain it, and people who do not want to smell it, inhale it, etc. breathe it whenever someone is puffing around them.

I have seen people saying its their right to smoke. True.
But the people who dont want to smoke have a right also.
And putting up designated areas doesnt stop the smell of the smoke.

The cloest thing to a solution is to ban it.

Why? Cause people shouldnt be free to choose?
Well no...people should be free to choose, and thats the point.
With smoke, there is no choice, everyone gets it.

The main problem is that people are addicted to smoking, and this is why they cant enjoy it in their home.

How many people pull a beer out at work...or at the mall, etc.
You just dont do it. You drink your beer at home.

So people who smoke...you are not hated...people are not against you...but at the same time, I dont want to share your smoke, and it wont listen to you and stay just with you.

peace

dAlen

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join