It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mary Cheney: "This Is A Baby. This Is Not A Political Statement."

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 1 2007 @ 07:40 PM
link   
Mary Cheney, lesbian daughter of US Vice President Richard Cheney, made a statement to the press in an attempt to deflect left-wing criticism of her choice to become a mother, and by default, a criticism of her father's conservative values. Dick Cheney has been labeled a hypocrite for his support of his daughter.

www.nytimes.com
Mary Cheney, the lesbian daughter of Vice President Dick Cheney, for the first time yesterday publicly defended her decision to become pregnant and asserted that same-sex couples were equally capable of raising children as heterosexual couples.

Mary Cheney, at a Glamour magazine panel at Barnard College Wednesday, said of her baby: “It is not a political statement. It is not a prop to be used in a debate, on either side of a political issue. It is my child.”
“When Heather and I decided to have a baby, it was not going to be the most popular decision ever,” Ms. Cheney said, referring to her partner of 15 years, Heather Poe.

She then gestured to her middle — any bulge disguised by a boxy jacket — and asserted: “This is a baby. This is a blessing from God. It is not a political statement. It is not a prop to be used in a debate by people on either side of an issue. It is my child.”

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

This is the statement, and the argument, that Mary's supporters have been making all along. Still, she has been attacked by the left wing in an attempt to muck-rake. We should all respsect her privacy, and that of her family.

To attempt to label her father a hypocrite because of his love and support for his daughter smacks of the worst kind of political mudslinging. Both Kerry and Edwards, two monumental losers, tried to disparage Mary in 2004, and look where it landed them.

[edit on 1-2-2007 by UM_Gazz]

posted on Feb, 1 2007 @ 08:23 PM
link   
Good for Mary, she is going to have a baby, she is an adult woman and made a choice her baby is a wanted baby and I am sure will be loved very much.

It is true that this whole thing has been made into a political statement.

Her privacy is the issue here, lets no forget that is her father the one that is the political public figure.

I understand that he was targeted in 2004 because he was running for his term. . .

But now it should not be an issue at all.

posted on Feb, 1 2007 @ 08:27 PM
link   
I say it's her choice, and good for her. If she wants to have a baby then she should be more than welcome to without it becoming the center of political attention.

Also, I thought I'd never ever say this but props to Dick Cheney for doing the right thing and supporting his daughter. Unlike some people (Alan Keyes) he can at least be supportive of his own family which is much more important than politics.

posted on Feb, 1 2007 @ 08:32 PM
link   
Trying to create a wedge between a father and daughter over his political beliefs is the lowest of lows. If a mans political views got in the way for his love for his daughter, that would be reason enough to not vote for him. The love we share for our children has to overcome all else. Sexual preference is merely a minor detail in the bigger picture.

I feel for Mary Cheney on this. She is taking a lot of criticism on this due to the fact her father is the Vice President of the United States. This works as a reminder to how shallow we can be.

posted on Feb, 1 2007 @ 08:46 PM
link   
Seems we all agree.
Dick Cheney and Mary Cheney are 2 separate people. There is nothing that says they can't feel very differently about a subject and still support each other. It's called love.

I didn't know she was taking criticism. People are so stupid! :shk:

posted on Feb, 1 2007 @ 09:03 PM
link   
This whole thing is crazy on so many levels. People should just leave Mary out of it. Her father can hold traditional views while still supporting her daughter's choice and it's no one's business anyway.

What do people like Dobson want to do about it anyway? Gay marriage and gay adoption may be legally debatable, but I don't think anyone could imagine any reasonable law that could prevent a lesbian from getting pregnant.

And the left is no better, trying to use her as a political tool to try to discredit her father.

Shame on all of them!

posted on Feb, 1 2007 @ 09:07 PM
link   
I hope Dick Cheney is as good a grandfather as he appears to be as a father. I can see him now putting out his pinky and saying, "Pull my finger....."

Love conquers all.

posted on Feb, 1 2007 @ 09:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by cyberdude78
I say it's her choice, and good for her. If she wants to have a baby then she should be more than welcome to without it becoming the center of political attention.

Also, I thought I'd never ever say this but props to Dick Cheney for doing the right thing and supporting his daughter. Unlike some people (Alan Keyes) he can at least be supportive of his own family which is much more important than politics.

Exactly.
Family dictates politics, not the other way around. Washington has forgotten that fact, and we need to remind them of it.

posted on Feb, 1 2007 @ 09:22 PM
link   
I don't care how a new baby enters a family, as long as that child is loved.

I can just see Mr. Cheney bouncing the new baby on his lap and giving a coochy-coo. Imagine the proud look on his face when he gets to hold his grandchild.

I don't think the Vice-President is above changing a nappie or wiping spit-up off his shirt. It's that family side of life that makes us all human, no matter what our job is.

[edit on 1/2/2007 by anxietydisorder]

posted on Feb, 1 2007 @ 10:07 PM
link   
How is it not hyporitical for Cheney to embrace the one man, one woman marriage family values that is part and parcel of the GOP platform but make exceptions when it comes to his daughter.

Im all for Mary Cheney doing anything she damn well pleases. It's a shame that her father can't afford other gays the same courtesy.

[edit on 1-2-2007 by whaaa]

posted on Feb, 1 2007 @ 10:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by whaaa
How is it not hyporitical for Cheney to embrace the one man, one woman marriage family values that is part and partial of the GOP platform but make exceptions when it comes to his daughter.

Im all for Mary Cheney doing anything she damn well pleases. It's a shame that her father can't afford other gays the same courtesy.

You obviously don't have kids, or else you would know that they are not carbon copies of their parents. But you love them nonetheless, and as a parent, you hope that they are happy, safe, and healthy.

Take your bile elsewhere.

[edit on 1-2-2007 by jsobecky]

posted on Feb, 1 2007 @ 10:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by whaaa
How is it not hyporitical for Cheney to embrace the one man, one woman marriage family values that is part and parcel of the GOP platform but make exceptions when it comes to his daughter.

[edit on 1-2-2007 by whaaa]

You said it!

How can you face your own grandchild and say you love that child but you have a problem with other gay people/gay families? For that sake alone I would have to say I would change my stance at least on a personal level publicly and appologize for saying the things that were said in regards to gays. The neocons would hang him out to dry and abandon him.

posted on Feb, 1 2007 @ 10:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by jsobecky

Wow! I must have missed the bile pile from whaaa.

The political stance of the father was attacked, not the actions of the daughter.

posted on Feb, 1 2007 @ 10:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by anxietydisorder

Originally posted by jsobecky

Wow! I must have missed the bile pile from whaaa.

The political stance of the father was attacked, not the actions of the daughter.

The political stance of her father was not the topic, hence his ill-willed attempt to inject it into the discussion was unwarranted.

His comments are intended to hate and divide, not to put aside politics and come together as human beings should.

posted on Feb, 1 2007 @ 10:26 PM
link   
If natural evolution order, or God, or both, intended for two women or two men to have babies and raise families that way, somethin tells me I'd have more than just some appendage as a man, and women prolly wouldn't havta pee sittin down. That whole concept of raising a family like that just eludes me, and lord only knows what kind of effects is has on the offspring. It is a genetic deviation of nature rather than the norm.

But who knows, maybe in 500,000 years the two sexes will be integrated into one. Interestingly though, the mere fact that it takes both a man and a woman to reproduce biologically, clearly there was an intention somewhere for there to be a choice on whether to reproduce or not. Between a man and a woman, not homosexually.

posted on Feb, 1 2007 @ 10:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by TrueAmerican
If natural evolution order, or God, or both, intended for two women or two men to have babies and raise families that way, somethin tells me I'd have more than just some appendage as a man, and women prolly wouldn't havta pee sittin down. That whole concept of raising a family like that just eludes me, and lord only knows what kind of effects is has on the offspring. It is a genetic deviation of nature rather than the norm.

I know this (I have 3 boys of my own) and you know this to be true but history tells us that homosexuality has been around for ages. So what to do? Just ignore it as though it doesn't exist? Even the VP's daughter is not immune to being homosexual and wanting children. Its not just going to go away just because its not acceptable to some people. Should Cheney's grandkid be subjected to ridicule because of her parents? It can't be that these people are some type of evil creation as some would have us believe. If this was the case , then how could Mr. Cheney be such a symbol of the right? I don't know about the gentic deviation part..I think its just another of Gods creations just like black,white,indian or asian, there is homosexual. I can't see it as being anything else. Its definitly not a disease as some misguided souls have tried to make it out to be.

posted on Feb, 1 2007 @ 11:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by ThePieMaN
So what to do? Just ignore it as though it doesn't exist?

I just wonder if statistically homosexuality is really increasing overall in percentage of population, or if it really has been the same since the species walked the earth. Maybe the Master Plan is to slowly separate the two genders into just trading sperm over the internet for a fee. No love lost.

But if statistically the percentage is not growing, then I suppose the species will continue to thrive. Until the NWO implements it's population reduction plan that is.

Chaney's hypocrisy on the issue is just typical. Whatever it takes to keep up the front. It also poses the problem of what the NWO is planning to do with homosexuals...Cheney's daughter included...

[edit on 1-2-2007 by TrueAmerican]

posted on Feb, 1 2007 @ 11:19 PM
link   
I'm still having trouble with the idea that its okay to tell OTHER people they're wrong when they desire the same freedom, and then support it when someone YOU love does it. Thats incredibly arrogant and selfish, its like saying 'I am against wearing fur, however if I or anyone I love wants to wear fur, then I will accept their choice even though I disagree with it. When YOU or anyone YOU love does it, they are wrong and they should not be allowed to do so'. Double standards.

Having said that, I don't think people should bother his daughter or use the baby against Dick or Mary, and I support the fact that he supports her despite his objection to the idea.

I do not support proclaiming that other people that want the same thing as his daughter are wrong because he doesn't like it. Those people are sons and daughters and beloved family members as well, but apparently thats not good enough.

This government is full of hypocrisy, it has been for a long time, long before Bush or Clinton or Cheney.

Just for anyone thats curious:

Some creatures are hermaphrodites, both genders in one animal, like snails and slugs, and some things are strictly female, like cells, and some things can change gender when required, like some fish. Two genders seperated perminantly isn't the only way things happen, its just how reptiles did it, and both mammals and birds evolved from reptiles, so voila. Its a good way to maintain genetic health and viability, but who knows what life does on other planets, it could be even stranger. three genders, four genders, who knows.

[edit on 1-2-2007 by BallOfPopulation]

posted on Feb, 1 2007 @ 11:33 PM
link   
If she is a Lesbian, and is with a lesbian while having a child that is WRONG.

Gay couples, should be ALLOWEd, but they should never be allowed to ADOPT, or have childeren.

So If she is in a homosexual relationship, and having a child, it is WRONG!

posted on Feb, 1 2007 @ 11:35 PM
link   
I think this child will be loved and well cared for by the entire family.

What more could you ask for ?

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join