It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scientists 'reverse' vCJD signs

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 1 2007 @ 07:25 PM
link   

www.cjd.ed.ac.uk..." border=0>

Scientists 'reverse' vCJD signs

Symptoms of prion diseases, such as the human form of mad cow disease vCJD, can be reversed, a study of mice suggests.

Roger Morris, professor of molecular biology at King's College London, said: "This is potentially very important work because it shows something which we didn't expect and which could be extremely significant."

He said it appeared that in the early stages of prion disease in the brain, synapses were frozen, rather than being destroyed immediately; and that halting the process then allowed function to be restored.

"It means that the prospect of being able to do something for people may be much better than we thought. We may be able to reverse the behavioural effects."

More...

Where are you, Sofi?

I look forward to your take on this development.

posted on Feb, 1 2007 @ 09:07 PM
link   
Wow, thats increadible. Intersting too, the prions cause disease by solidifying and crystalizing, and that destroys cells, just like with frostbite.

news.bbc.co.uk...
In some of these mice, scientists then used an enzyme to switch off the gene that makes the normal prion protein when the rodents are about nine weeks old - equivalent to adolescence

Interesting. But notice, it requires shutting off a gene.

Perhaps later they can shut off a gene that makes a protein which is being 'prionized' by prions (thats what they do, they make normal proteins crumple into prion versions of themselves), and then give hte person a protein supplement that has been specifically structured so as to resist 'prionization'??

posted on Feb, 1 2007 @ 09:55 PM
link   
www-sop.inria.fr...

I see the occasional TSE.

[edit on 1/2/2007 by Mirthful Me]

posted on Feb, 2 2007 @ 09:05 PM
link   
Sorry someone already got this topic,

Ill have to close this one, But please add your info to the link below,
www.abovetopsecret.com...

new topics

top topics