It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bush to request hefty Iraq war funds

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 1 2007 @ 06:07 PM
link   
It has been reported that President Bush will now ask Congress for over $100 Billion dollars to continue financing the wars in Iraq and in Afghanistan. This is the largest sum request by President Bush, thus far, to fund the highly controversial wars.

news.yahoo.com
WASHINGTON (Reuters) -
President George W. Bush will request slightly more than $100 billion to cover war operations in Iraq and Afghanistan for the rest of this year and an even larger amount for fiscal 2008 that begins on October 1,
congressional sources said on Thursday.

The administration, which will submit the war cost proposals along with its annual budget on Monday, will provide details of its war spending plans to try to placate critics who have accused it of using a shadow budget to fund the war.

For the current fiscal year, the White House will ask Congress to approve an additional $93 billion for the Defense Department to conduct the two wars and about $7 billion for State Department activities, a Senate aide said.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Just a week or so after Bush made his "I'm the decider" comment, he's pushing the envelope with Congress. This will probably be a deciding point for Congress to either keep their stance against furthering the war effort, or buckeling under the pressure of protecting our troops.

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
Constitutional war debate?

[edit on 2/1/2007 by Infoholic]

posted on Feb, 1 2007 @ 07:40 PM
link   

It has been reported that President Bush will now ask Congress for over $100 Billion dollars to continue financing the wars in Iraq and in Iran.

Isn't it Iraq and Afghanistan? Even if I agree that they are hell-bent on attacking Iran, it hasn't occured yet.

posted on Feb, 1 2007 @ 07:42 PM
link   
Oops... minor typo. I was thinking one thing and typing another.

Thanks for pointing that out. I'll fix that.

[edit on 2/1/2007 by Infoholic]

posted on Feb, 2 2007 @ 08:42 AM
link   
I take it no one else finds it odd that Bush is following through with his "calling out" of Congress?

When push come to shove... I think Bush is trying to get Congress to push first.

With Bush's request for further funding of the war in Iraq, do you think Congress will go along with it? or do you think they'll tell him off? or maybe Congress will meet him in the middle?

top topics

join