It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Interesting Fish Thread

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 1 2007 @ 02:10 PM
link   
Hi .. just finished reading up on a curious fish from the Amazon River. its not really crypto though, just interesting.
Anyways, guys meet the candirú.

This little guy might just turn out to be the pool-owner's best friend.

Stop those pesky guests from peeing in your pool.

There are many troubling stories regarding human run-ins with the candirú, though until recent years these were not given much credence by the medical community. It is not uncommon for people swimming or bathing in the river to urinate in the water, an action which creates tiny water currents that are rich in urea and ammonia. It seems that the tiny, slender catfish cannot always distinguish a urinating human from an exhaling fish gill, and on occasion it will attempt its trademark high-speed attack on some unfortunate soul.

hope you'll all post up any info you might find on other interesting fish.

good day to everyone.

posted on Feb, 3 2007 @ 11:16 PM
link   
I saw a program about this on Discovery Channel. I'm not sure if this is the same fish, but this one small fish would launch itself into the person's "genital opening" while they peed and become a parasite and cause severe infection. I have no idea why.

posted on Feb, 5 2007 @ 05:46 PM
link   
oops forgot the link

DamnInteresting

It lingers in the murky darkness at the river's bottom, quietly stalking its neighboring fish. Light is scarce in the soupy deep, but the candirú does not need to see… it can taste the traces of urea and ammonia that are expelled from breathing gills.

im not sure, but i think urea and ammonia are also present in human urine

posted on Feb, 13 2007 @ 03:45 PM
link   
I caught a werid fish years ago at camp. it was long, blueish, and had lots of tiny sharp teeth. I wonder what it was??

posted on Feb, 14 2007 @ 12:29 AM
link   
Catfish are cool. I used to have one like this one (mine was more black) and it lived for +20 years

new topics

top topics

join