It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is it me or is something not right with ATS?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 1 2007 @ 03:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by LooseLipsSinkShips
As time goes by, more and more citizens are gaining the knowledge that the fuzz are spending large volumes of time, money, and effort surfing all kinds of internet domains. And it's been proven that the CIA likes to dabble in shadowy "front" organizations that then purchase Conspiracy Websites to monitor and edit them. However, ATS is the best and most true conspiracy domain on the net and I am confident that the CIA hasn't infested this site like they have taken over others.

However, just like their shadowy business fronts, they set up fronts on messgae boards too pretneding they are someone who they are not and just posting like the rest of the community. Posts that have dumb comments, personal attacks, ect. make for a dull board. It does seem like there have been an increased number of new posters and some of them go on with insults when they don't agree with someone. If you don't have something nice to say, don't say it all. And naturally this sort of thing drives away the more civilized and intelligent posters.

[edit on 1-2-2007 by LooseLipsSinkShips]

What proof do you have of this?

While it is not proof of anything, I personally have never been scared away from this forum on the basis that someone might be watching. I don't think they're interested in anything we have to say.

posted on Feb, 1 2007 @ 03:17 PM
link   
dirty_underground

Hi guess what I have been replying less to the fact I have heard the same stories well posts too. It can be boring to explain your view from last year to a new member that has not read old posts. We don't all title a post the same but lots are the same because it leads to same answers we had given to another post. I guess if there is an influx of new people the down side is the old generation will hear new posts that are not so original and they have already covered it.

(If you go straight to this page please read the page before).

[edit on 1-2-2007 by The time lord]

posted on Feb, 1 2007 @ 04:34 PM
link   
Timelord,

I think you perceive it like this because the site changed format and before it changed format it used to show active topics on the left and most polular threads on the top and now it's somewhat different and gives the illusion that it's less active.

I noticed this too but it's because of the format of the most recent threads and most popular threads that makes it seem like that.

posted on Feb, 1 2007 @ 04:42 PM
link   
Thanks all for the replies I guess it was a mixture of things plus a few unusual co-incidences even before ATS changed it's ways. I am not that much of a nutter I hope. Somethings in life as ATS members point out things that are not as black and white as it seems and needs discussing. This is what the site is for, it also usuful to speak about things you can not in everyday life, out of context you would seem odd to someone you don't know, we don't know people here and yet all feel in the same boat.

posted on Feb, 1 2007 @ 05:24 PM
link   
I don't wish to prove you wrong I pretty much agree with your theory. I think it's quite possible clandestine organizations have infiltrated this board and we are being decimated piece by piece. Time to prepare for the interlopers and set up a perimeter defense.

posted on Feb, 1 2007 @ 05:26 PM
link   
heh, well it just so happens that i am george w. bush coming to bring you all down.

ah yes, a conspiracy forum. 'oil 'av me sum o' that

posted on Feb, 1 2007 @ 05:41 PM
link   
Well I wouldn't trust analytics cause I visit from Brazil everyday and I don't see a bubble.

This is not a one line post.

posted on Feb, 1 2007 @ 06:05 PM
link   
Well I am not proud to admit it but...I had been a constant lurker here for quite some time before recently registering, and I was indeed afraid to do so because of alphabet agencies and what not.....but I think now regardless of what may be perceived as threat or in fact a reality, I am without fear and here to stay!

posted on Feb, 1 2007 @ 07:27 PM
link   
I agree with catchphraseneeded as I too tend to be a lurker as well. I previously studied millenarian cults back in 1997 my senior year of college so the various subjects here interest me strictly for the reading material.

Unfortunately I'm not in the know often enough to post anything worth while. I almost started a thread about Mike Vick and the interesting events surrounding it and a supposed idea on an NFL conspiracy like all of the news and sports stations here in Atlanta spent all last week reporting repeatedly.

I did search ATS for related articles (as I occasionally see others mention very quickly). I eventually I got rid of my post thinking it would not be a worthy subject.

posted on Feb, 1 2007 @ 07:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by The time lord
Thanks all for the replies I guess it was a mixture of things plus a few unusual co-incidences even before ATS changed it's ways. I am not that much of a nutter I hope. Somethings in life as ATS members point out things that are not as black and white as it seems and needs discussing. This is what the site is for, it also usuful to speak about things you can not in everyday life, out of context you would seem odd to someone you don't know, we don't know people here and yet all feel in the same boat.

Thanks or your input, please be aware that I am not watching the things that go on in this forum, neither are the prople that I may or may not be working alongside, we have no intrest.

Please go on about your usuall postings, we will not be interested in any info that we are not interested in.

We dont know who you are so I can't oh my god this is my first day, why are they maing me do this??? I've got nothing against you people, it's just my boss..............

posted on Feb, 1 2007 @ 07:59 PM
link   
Get back to work!

And no fraternizing with the targets

posted on Feb, 2 2007 @ 12:36 AM
link   
I doubt if it is anything wrong on the part of ATS.
I have noticed that, by nature, most ATS forum members are scared, paranoid, and unfortunately, reasonably intelligent. (Intelligence is a Curse)

And, some of us have reason to be, just from regular life experience.

For instance, I, myself, am a veteran of a failed Whistleblower case, where I got my butt seriously handed to me, and found out that real life conspiracy is far worse than anything I used to ponder, and, in real life, the good guys get crushed on a regular basis, without a hero swooping in on the side of "right".

So, justifiably, I spend a lot of time debating on whether I should open up or not. Give away clues of my identity or not. Get involved, communicate, or hide in the shadows and read.

Maybe, what this topic is touching upon, is a kind of innate hive-mind thingy, where people are sensing that things are amiss, are about to happen, or just a bit on sensory overload from all of the craziness that has happened in the world lately.

Feel free to keep hiding out there. Stuff really is crazy right now. And, sometimes, just sometimes, it is nice to sit quietly, in a nice, warm, dark closet, and just wait.

posted on Feb, 2 2007 @ 01:16 AM
link   
Hi,

Well. the Stats are one thing, and they are great. What they mean, bottom line, is great for the Ads and that we are getting read up here. Business is one point of view. There is, however, another, and that one is held by more than a couple of us.

Let me just say that I could give a flat damn about "being watched". Of course we are, and so is every other Board of this ilk! I use part of my "real" name up here, (first and middle),as I do elsewhere;(google it and you will get at least 4 pages); and, considering what I am about, and what I have been involved with over my Life, I am dead sure the the "powers that be" have a Dossier on me about a foot and a half thick. It doesn't matter, as, so long as I have the Right to free speech, I'll use it to get at the Truth!

That "other point of view" regards the idea that there seems to have been a decadence in the quality of posts and topics, not to mention the Minds that produce them. Unfortunately, I have noticed that more and more even in the short time I have been here. SO, though I both know and respect the fact (and greatly) that the Mods are basically overworked, I really get tired of seeing a hodgepodge of New topics splintering off others discussing the exact same thing. I believe that is because somebody gets frustrated that they can't get their point made, and so, just start a new Topic on the exact same discussion. All that does is confuse the issue, not to mention that doing that, at all, is peeing into the wind. On top of that is the fact that far too often good, intelligent, thought-provoking, open-minded, exchanges have become an extreme rarity. Those Threads that start with that intent, tend to rapidly decay because they become stupid slug-fests. I could go on, point to point with this, but you know what I am saying and why, so, it's enough.

Only one more thing. Skeptic, next time you want to post Stats, how about some Demographics on Member Age? That might give us a clue.

JMHO

[edit on 2-2-2007 by Ed Littlefox]

posted on Feb, 2 2007 @ 07:23 AM
link   
I.m a new UK member!

I've been reading the site for about a year, but only decided to join up yesterday.

Looking forward to some debates with other UK members, but tough to get time in the day due to this pesky job thing that seems to take up most of my life.....ho hum.

I love the new look of ATS, and there seem to be more and more topics everyday.

The only forum I have noticed suffering lately, is the UFO forum (maybe others too). There seems to be a lot of aggression developing over there, particularly from sceptics towards new members (not to me I hasten to add). I remember one recent thread where the mods had to warn some repliers, and since then the original poster has backed off and won't contribute anymore. They are even some very personal remarks being bandied about. The mods are good at picking up on this, but it still seems to be increasing.

This could easy discourage potential new members from opening up and feeling comfortable in expressing their theories, even the more out-there ones (need I mention reptilians and Nbiru?:@@

Even the so-called "crazies" deserve a little respect for having the courage to bring the topics up in the first place and if posters feel the need to heavily criticise the posts, all the better, but they should at least be polite about it! Who knows? The craziest theory might even be the right one! Surely none of us would be on this site at all if we didn;t believe in the possibility of strange and unusual theories being correct!

On the whole, though, ATS is a very good site, with a real sense of community.
Well Done.

posted on Feb, 2 2007 @ 07:26 AM
link   
P.S. - IeatALIENS - I know what you mean about intelligence! I think a lot of people on ATS are just sharp enough to cut themselves!

"The great tragedy of mankind, is that he is clever enough to invent the atomic bomb, but stupid enough to use it."
- David Zindel, Neverness

posted on Feb, 2 2007 @ 08:17 AM
link   
I think that yes all sites on the internets are being "looked at" by who you say, administraters and more than likely the government. I am not saying that the admins here are working for the government.

[edit on 2am2 30 200 by goddogo1]

posted on Feb, 2 2007 @ 08:22 AM
link   
It depends. If the majority of the people have been on the board for the time I have...you basically have covered all the bases, and dont have anything substantial to add or get.
(maybe in pieces...but the large chunks have been laid out, and again, as new members come, get re-hashed.)

So it may just be that there is nothing substantial that people have to add?

Peace

dAlen

posted on Feb, 2 2007 @ 08:43 AM
link   
I was a member years ago, re-reg'd the other day when sometime reminded me of this forum.

I think perhaps ATS has become too "intelligent". I enjoy discussing conspiracy theories as much as the next guy/girl but it's a little intimidating staring at a 200 page dissertation about why turnips are the ultimate weapon of the new world order.

This is a forum with a lot of "experts" on just about every topic that comes up, and a lot of people who care deeply about what they are posting. For a new poster who is not an expert on whatever topic, there is just no incentive to join in on discussions that are ultimately too long and complex for the casual lurker to join in on.

Now of course thats the perfect medium for a discussion; intelligent experts debating something they feel strongly about, that they have studied extensively. This is exactly what a forum should be, but it also severly limits accessibility.

posted on Feb, 2 2007 @ 10:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by Ed Littlefox

That "other point of view" regards the idea that there seems to have been a decadence in the quality of posts and topics, not to mention the Minds that produce them. Unfortunately, I have noticed that more and more even in the short time I have been here. SO, though I both know and respect the fact (and greatly) that the Mods are basically overworked, I really get tired of seeing a hodgepodge of New topics splintering off others discussing the exact same thing. I believe that is because somebody gets frustrated that they can't get their point made, and so, just start a new Topic on the exact same discussion. All that does is confuse the issue, not to mention that doing that, at all, is peeing into the wind. On top of that is the fact that far too often good, intelligent, thought-provoking, open-minded, exchanges have become an extreme rarity. Those Threads that start with that intent, tend to rapidly decay because they become stupid slug-fests. I could go on, point to point with this, but you know what I am saying and why, so, it's enough.

[edit on 2-2-2007 by Ed Littlefox]

I couldnt agree more.

posted on Feb, 2 2007 @ 11:42 AM
link   
John Edwards (as US Senator, candidate for '08) says that silence is betrayal.

But honestly, people don't always have something -* or constructive to add to every thread, so some post judiciously when they have the time and thoughts and actual interest in the topic at hand.

That ATS is famous for conspiracy theory invites these questions... by it's very nature.

It's a valid concern.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join