It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is Clive Cussler a Conspiracy Buff?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 1 2007 @ 12:50 PM
link   
Last summer while on vacation I wanted to read something light, fun, not thought provoking, etc. Didn't wan't to think too hard about what I was reading. So I picked up a Dirk Pitt adventure novel by Clive Cusler. I forget which one, maybe Valhalla Rising. Well the book was full of cheesy dialogue, one dimensional characters, and had a very predictable formulaic plot. Exactly what I was looking for. I enjoyed it so much (cheesy as it was) I started reading others. There are something like 14-15 Dirk Pitt novels by Cusler. What I've noticed is the astonishing parallels between his main plots and the principal topics discussed here at ATS.

Mian plots:

- merging of the US and Canada
- wave of Chineese imigration aimed at a take over of the US from the inside.
- mind control of a US president
- Most have villians who are powerful corporate billionaires who care only about power and money.
- oil consumption problems and alternative energy sources
- Ancient technologically advance earth civilizations
- bio weapons
- catastrophic climate change

Anyone else who's read these books noticed this?

posted on Feb, 1 2007 @ 12:59 PM
link   
You have to come up with something interesting for people to want to read your books.

posted on Feb, 1 2007 @ 01:05 PM
link   
I have read all of his books ,and i do think they tend to blend fiction and reality very well. They are the type of book that when you read them it seems like you are actually watching a movie ,because they are very well written.

Did you read KAHN yet ?--another great 1

posted on Feb, 1 2007 @ 01:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by Royal76
You have to come up with something interesting for people to want to read your books.

Well yeah. I just found it curious that alot his "interesting" material parallels todays popular conspiracy topics. Versus say....spies, or lawyers, or cops, etc.

I guess there's nothing to see here. Move along folks.

posted on Feb, 1 2007 @ 01:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by airtrax007

Did you read KAHN yet ?--another great 1

No, but I'll be sure to.
Thanks

posted on Feb, 1 2007 @ 01:11 PM
link   
Cussler is the founder the National Underwater & Marine Agency, (NUMA) a 501C3 non-profit organization that dedicates itself to American maritime and naval history. Cussler and his crew of marine experts and NUMA volunteers have discovered over 60 historically significant underwater wreck sites. After verifying their finds, NUMA turns the rights to the artifacts over to non-profits, universities, or government entities all over the world. Some of these finds include the C.S.S. Hunley, best known as the first submarine to sink a ship in battle; the Housatonic, the ship the Hunley sank; the U-20, the U-boat that sank the Lusitania; the Cumberland, sunk by the famous ironclad, Merrimack; the Confederate raider Florida; the Navy airship, Akron; the Republic of Texas Navy warship, Zavala, found under a parking lot in Galveston, Texas; and the remains of the Carpathia, the valiant ship that braved icebergs to rescue the survivor's of the Titanic. In addition to being Chairman of NUMA, Cussler is a fellow in both the Explorers Club of New York and the Royal Geographic Society in London. He has also been honored with the Lowell Thomas Award for outstanding underwater exploration.

posted on Feb, 2 2007 @ 11:19 PM
link   
I do not care for his writing style. The stories and plot lines are fine, but his particular way of writing does not hold me. I could barely slog through a couple of his books. I had to force myself to finish.

posted on Feb, 3 2007 @ 12:52 AM
link   
Most of the Dirk Pitt series is fairly old. I would say up to 20 years old. I've read all of them, I started when I was 12 or so.

Very good reads, but nothing too significant in terms of current events.

top topics

join