It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Possible abduction of computer scientist ??

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 1 2007 @ 11:42 AM
link   
It seems that Jim Gray an acclaimed computer scientist living in San Francisco set sail on Jan 28th and disappeared in good weather. No contact has been made and they are calling off the search.
Link here

Could it be a possible abduction ?? something seems fishy about this.....then again who knows...maybe he just fell overboard.....but it does seem doubtful.

posted on Feb, 1 2007 @ 12:00 PM
link   
Why have you came to the conclusion he was abducted; If you don't mind me asking?

Hundreds of thousands of people go missing every year. Do you feel they're all abductions? If not, then it seems odd that you'd see this as an abduction...

Apolagies if my post comes across as offensive in anyway; Just find it strange that you'd jump to the conclusion that it's an abduction.

posted on Feb, 1 2007 @ 12:04 PM
link   
I started this thread about this story earlier. It is most definitely a mystery but how can you say it has anything to do with Aliens or abduction? To the best of my knowledge there isn't a stitch of evidence suggesting anything of the sort. Have I missed something?

[edit on 1-2-2007 by jtma508]

posted on Feb, 1 2007 @ 12:06 PM
link   
There were over 834,000 missing persons reports filed in the U.S. in 2005 [source: US Census]. The number has been climbing steadily, and of course, is an exponentially higher figure if missing persons world wide are considered.

Although the story of the sailor is interesting, I don't see any connection to UFO abductions - no motive, no extenuating circumstances, no personal history that would bring one to conclude an alien abduction connection.

It's just a lost sailor story. In fact, the report indicates that the sailor was out specifically to 'scatter the ashes' of his recently deceased mother. Perhaps a more likely scenario is that the part-time sailor of 63 yrs age either fell overboard while casting his mother's ashes or was despondent and 'joined' his beloved mother.

Thanks for posting - but my guess is that there is probably a closer alien abduction connection somewhere among the other nearly one million missing person reports that were filed last year.

posted on Feb, 1 2007 @ 12:46 PM
link   
Sorry guys..
I started this thread due to the bizarre way this guy just up and vanished.......if anyone feels that this thread is useless then tell me and I will ask a mod to remove it.

I dont really know if this has anything to do with an alien abduction......but it does have some "symptoms" of one don't you agree ?? man goes out on calm ocean alone with plenty of experience and emergency supplies for a short trip and vanishes...and not even the Coast Guard or Navy can find the guy even when they search well beyond the sailing limits of the man's ship.

Highly out of the ordinary and bizarre....sure he could have commited suicide...or slipped and fell of the ship...but with all his years of experience do you really think that is what happened ??

Like I said...if you want this post dumped..then tell me. I will get it done asap ! I'm fair and it would not bother me in the least.

posted on Feb, 1 2007 @ 12:51 PM
link   
Well, actually One could also surmise that Government agents also made him disappear.

But I would think it is more along the lines that possibly some mishap occurred and he is no longer with us, sorry to say.

Another possibility is that he does not WANT to be found.

2 cents.

posted on Feb, 1 2007 @ 12:55 PM
link   
Well, they found Jason Bourne didn't they?

Probably fell over and was consumed by sharks.

posted on Feb, 1 2007 @ 02:33 PM
link   
The problem is is that no boat was found.

www.cnn.com...

No debris, no NOTHING despite extensive search, and the weather was very good and calm.

Doesn't look like a man-overboard drowning. More like a phaser disintegration or something.

The guy is obviously very smart, and had radios and all the beacons like the ones which go off if they get wet (e.g. capsize). Search encompassed more area than boat could reasonably drift or travel.

Something is particularly weird about this one.

Many of the 'missing persons' are due to family disputes or something and are quickly resolved. This is very different.

posted on Feb, 1 2007 @ 02:43 PM
link   
Ok, this is very interesting, this man sailed in a “good day” and just disappear with his boat.

Now, like KingAmonsgstMen said hundreds of thousands of people go missing every year, but not many like this in the sea in clear day.

Ourageo statistic of mission persons in the US is allarming bringing the issue of where this people has gone.

I agree with Alpha Grey . . . it is really bizarre that the guy just vanished without a trace with his boat.

posted on Feb, 1 2007 @ 02:44 PM
link   
I agree mbkennel !!! this smacks of either:

1) suicide.....but no ship or items found.

2) accident.....but the guy seemed to be too smart to let anything stupid happen.

3) alien abduction.......if this is so....why did they take the boat ?

4) planned disappearance.......he was sick of it all and wanted privacy and peace.

5) planned disappearance pt2 .......he got the "black ops" call to join them and had to vanish.

6) Pirates........nasty rotten bastid's !!

Either way....bizarre and freaky to say the least....too bad we will never know.

[edit on 1-2-2007 by Alpha Grey]

posted on Feb, 1 2007 @ 02:53 PM
link   
This man was not just a poor lone sailor he was actually very involved in the scientific community.

Jim Gray is a researcher and manager of Microsoft Research's science Group. His primary research interests are in databases and transaction processing systems -- with particular focus on using computers to make scientists more productive. He and his group are working in the areas of astronomy, geography, hydrology, oceanography, biology, and health care. research.microsoft.com...

This alone is enough to make his disappearance more interesting.

[edit on 1-2-2007 by marg6043]

posted on Feb, 1 2007 @ 03:24 PM
link   
Add him to this list of scientist who have died or disappeared under mysterious circumstances over the last few years.

ATS Thread

posted on Feb, 1 2007 @ 04:41 PM
link   
If we are to assume foul play of terrestrial or extra-terrestrial nature, we must consider motive.

Why would the BlackOps want him?
Why would he want to disappear?
Why would aliens snatch up a higly visible public figure.

and most importantly...

What is this guy worth? What does he know? Why would anyone (or thing) want to abduct him? What exactly was his role as a computer scientist for the largest software firm in the world?

Again, this is based on the assumption that a big meteor didnt smack the boat in a freak accident, consuming the man with his dingy (boat). My post assumes that there was foul play.

Thoughts?

[edit on 1-2-2007 by damajikninja]

posted on Feb, 1 2007 @ 04:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by Alpha Grey
I agree mbkennel !!! this smacks of either:

1) suicide.....but no ship or items found.

2) accident.....but the guy seemed to be too smart to let anything stupid happen.

3) alien abduction.......if this is so....why did they take the boat ?

4) planned disappearance.......he was sick of it all and wanted privacy and peace.

5) planned disappearance pt2 .......he got the "black ops" call to join them and had to vanish.

6) Pirates........nasty rotten bastid's !!

Either way....bizarre and freaky to say the least....too bad we will never know.

[edit on 1-2-2007 by Alpha Grey]

Any number of things can happen if you're on the pacific ocean by yourself, whether you're experienced or not. It doesn't take much for something bad to happen. A choppy wave hits the boat a little hard when you're just a sliver off balance, you fall into the water. I imagine from that point the bad things start to multiply. Fell off the boat, can't make it back to the boat to climb in, can't climb in, can't swim, too cold to swim, not wearing a life preserver, etc.... SO many explanations that don't require an alien presence.

posted on Feb, 1 2007 @ 07:40 PM
link   
I agree that lots of things can happen---those are "man overboard" situations.

The problem here is the vanishing of the boat, in clear, calm weather from a serious experience sailor with modern communications equipment.

So, if he was abducted by ETs, I wonder what he'd find on the ship.

ET: "Excuse me Dr. Gray (hee hee), but can you help us with our navicomputer?"

human: "Huh? You guys come from civilizations a billion miles from here and you need my help? OK, what seems to be the problem?"

ET: "Well, first of all we're time travelers from 45,000 years in the future."

human: "uh hunh......point being?"

ET: "We need level 97 tech support. Those call centers on Ceti Alpha 5 aren't work a damn."

human: "tech support? WTF?"

ET: "Well, I think we got a massively corrupted Registry file and the system won't let us connect to the stargate interface. You do work for Microsoft, right?"

human:

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I think i'm gonna be stuck here for a while.

posted on Feb, 1 2007 @ 09:36 PM
link   
Not to rain on any theories, but as a sailor myself, I can tell you that once a single-handed skipper is overboard, things go from bad to worse in a hurry.

If he was any kind of sailor he likely had reefer furlings and line cleats holding most of his rigging, perhaps even an autopilot engaged. If that is the case, once he falls over, he's a dead man, especially if he wasn't wearing a life preserver or flotation jacket. Regardless, the sailboat simply sails on it's fixed heading without him. It gets worse;

With no pilot steering, the tiller or wheel that controls the rudder is at the mercy of currents and swells, which, even in relatively calm seas, would begin a dangerous oscillation and soon be overwhelmed as it fights wind and seas to maintain course. The sailor would obviously continuously make any needed corrections to compensate for waves, swells, and wind gusts that are encountered and are trying to 'fight' the vessel.

With such opposing dynamics at play, again even in relatively calm seas, only a slight swell or wave set would be enough to tack the boat dangerously low to the waterline. It would only be a matter of time that the coincidence of a second swell meets a the banked sailboat, flooding and capsizing it.

If the sailor release all his lines, turned off the autopilot, neutralized his rudder, possibly even furled his sails, THEN there would be a great chance that the boat would continue bobbing and drifting in the water to be spotted.

I'm assuming that the sailor, if he indeed fell overboard, he did so while "under sail' and 'into the wind', which would be disastrous for him and likely for his sailboat as well.

I'm not by any means saying this is what happened - I have no way of knowing. In fact, even if the vessel continued on its course for another hundred miles before capsizing, it wouldn't take everything down with it, there would likely be a few bits of jetsam/flotsam debris floating nearby. Of course, spotting a few pieces of debris on the surface from the air with no vessel or raft in sight would be very difficult indeed.

Nevertheless, I admit this outcome is much more boring than being abducted by aliens in a UFO while at sea - vessel and all. So, disregard this completely if you wish and continue with that line of thinking - it's certainly more exciting (although our poor 'ole salt of a sailor may disagree).

As it is, compared with my scenario, perhaps an alien abduction would be preferable - he'd at least still be alive...

posted on Feb, 5 2007 @ 12:04 PM
link   
By the way - On the off chance that Jim Gray or his boat could be found, here's a link to join in the search if you wish to lend a hand...

Help Locate Jim Gray Via Satellite Imagery

Good luck - and I'm sure the family appreciates any time and assistance you may provide...

posted on Feb, 5 2007 @ 12:19 PM
link   
Scientists also disappear because the government sends them to other planets to work (if you believe that sort of thing). Maybe he's been sent to work for the Mars branch of Microsoft. Talk about a relocation!

posted on Feb, 5 2007 @ 01:30 PM
link   
I believe most sailboats now have water-activated EPIRB beacons. You never know, but

It was pretty calm, low wind, weather and not a trace of debris was found.

It probably is some freak accident. But quite freakish.

Tom Clancy scenario----he defected to the KGB(or whatever it's called) and that's how he made his exit; submarine surfaced, picked him up, and sank the boat.

But of course that's totally ridiculous, as it would be much easier to not come back from a vacation to St Petersburg.

posted on Feb, 5 2007 @ 01:46 PM
link   
It's increadibly strange absolutely nothing has been found, not even the beacon. It really makes me wonder if even wants to be found. Other than that, could someone with his immense knowledge have been conducting teleportation or time travel expiraments? With even partial success, would explain why absolutely nothing has been found..

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join