It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Where has funding for the rebuilding of New Orleans gone?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 1 2007 @ 11:38 AM
link   
New Orleans mayor, Ray Nagin, has speculated that red tape, race and class issues have slowed recovery efforts in the ravaged city. He's not asking for more money, but simply asking why hasn't the money, that congress allocated for relief, been received and used more efficiently. Some are speculating the Iraq war is draining financial resources.

www.cnn.com
About half of New Orleans' residents have returned since Hurricane Katrina, but red tape and race and class issues have held up recovery efforts, Mayor Ray Nagin said Monday.

"I'm not asking for more money," Nagin told a Senate panel. "I just want the money you've already allocated to my citizens to help them."

"I think it's more class than anything, but there are racial issues associated with it also," Nagin said.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Apart from recognizing the absolute scale of the Katrina disaster, it amazes me how New Orleans has taken a back seat to most other issues concerning the USA. I am appalled at the notion that class and race is a factor in all of this. How can this be? Is this America? How come we don't hear about New Orleans anymore? Could the Iraq war really be drawing financial aid away from New Orleans? Shouldn't the Iraq war be secondary to a national emergency?

[edit on 1-2-2007 by UM_Gazz]

posted on Feb, 1 2007 @ 01:22 PM
link   
There is hardly any more talk about New Orleans in the media. I don't know if it's most people's assumptions that everything is fixed now, or if there is some cover-up by the government on the media to keep from receiving more pressure from the public. Either way, I just don't see anything else being said on TV. I hope this issue can get resolved soon, because as I still hear from people in my class, there are still flooded areas and dead bodies there.

join