It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Town to immigrants: you can't kill women

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 2 2007 @ 02:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by Subcomandante

Yeah, cos' America can only exist if it cleanses all its people of any sense of self. The American Dream can only be achieved if you see all people as subserviant. To quote Immortal Technique, "The attitude that is fed to us is outside of America, there live lesser people, let them fend for themselves, f*** them." The average American is just jealous of their lack of culture.

The only true thing you said in your comment was that America has no culture of its own...You are correct there...The rest of what you stated was complete and utter CODSWALLOP.

[edit on 2-2-2007 by SpeakerofTruth]

posted on Feb, 2 2007 @ 03:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by ferretman2
Let me get this straight.......Canada ALLOWS young children to bring daggers to school?

Sikhs are allowed to wear the kirpan to school, yes. The kirpan is a big part of their religion and Orthodox Sikhs must wear one.

I attended high school with several students who carried a kirpan and I never felt threatened by it.

posted on Feb, 2 2007 @ 03:18 PM
link   
What purpose does it serve? Why is it needed in a school?

posted on Feb, 2 2007 @ 03:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by Duzey
The article is about a town of 1300 people and there are no immigrants that live there. I wouldn't call them experts on how immigrants to Canada behave.

I'm fairly sure that after this, they will get their wish to remain a white Catholic town.

Duzey, Don't you think it's reasonable for a small community of like minded people, regardless of their legal cultural values, to determine thier own way of life?

Just the opposite of whats going on in this little town is, and has been going on for ages in places like Saudi Arabia, Yemen, Afghanistan.

This would be different if there had always been a muslim segment of the population, and the community tried to expell them, but if all they are doing is establishing a set of vaules that new community members must adhere to, I think that's well within their right. They are excluding behaiviors inconsistent with thier cultural paradigm, not people.

posted on Feb, 2 2007 @ 03:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by ferretman2
What purpose does it serve? Why is it needed in a school?

I guess the reason it is worn to school is because, according to their religion, it must be worn at all times. It is a mandatory part of their religion and one of the Five K's of Sikhism.

The Five K's

Kes: uncut hair plus a turban
Kanga: wooden comb tucked in the hair
Kara: iron bangle worn on the wrist
Kirpan: small sword strapped to the body made of iron or steel
Kachhera: long shorts worn under the clothes

Each of these things has a special religious meaning to them.

The kirpan has both a physical function, as a defensive weapon, as well as a symbolic function. Physically it is an instrument of "Ahimsa" or non-violence. The principle of ahimsa is to actively prevent violence, not to simply stand by idly whilst violence is being done. To that end, the kirpan is a tool to be used to prevent violence from being done to a defenseless person when all other means to do so have failed. Symbolically, the kirpan represents the power of truth to cut through untruth. It is the cutting edge of the enlightened mind.

www.sikhiwiki.org...

[edit on 2-2-2007 by Duzey]

posted on Feb, 2 2007 @ 03:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by darkbluesky
Duzey, Don't you think it's reasonable for a small community of like minded people, regardless of their legal cultural values, to determine thier own way of life?

I don't think it's reasonable for them to go against the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms. Would it be reasonable for an American town to ban its citizens from owning weapons because they didn't like guns?

posted on Feb, 2 2007 @ 03:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by Duzey
I don't think it's reasonable for them to go against the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms. Would it be reasonable for an American town to ban its citizens from owning weapons because they didn't like guns?

Yes, and if anyone wished to challenge this ruling they could do so in a court of law since federal law allows gun posession. As an example many towns/counties ban liquor, even though it's a legal substance in the eyes of the Federal govt.

I admit, as the self absorbed American, I've never read the Canadian Charter of Rights and freedoms, but I can't imagine it allows the stoning of women, or that it does not allow all citizens the rights to drive a car (with a lisense) walk in public, be employed, and have a bank account.

posted on Feb, 2 2007 @ 03:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by angryamerican

Originally posted by covetous

I think it would be an insult to allow those immigrants to live in a white catholic town! And stoop down to their lazy, hypocritical, murderous genetic level? Unacceptable.

Your post is Unacceptable. so your saying that just because a person is white and catholic they are lazy, hypocritical, murderous. That is prejudice and wrong on every level. Shame on you. Its hate like yours that wont allow for people to get along with each other

What I find is that those who oppose the opposition to illegal imigration do so on a basis that is rather racist in it's self. To support the intruding Mexican culture is to be agains the current American culture, thus being exactly like those who oppose the illegal intrusion yet do so on a level that gives them a sense of self righteous goodness.

You can love your land. I am American first and always. You can embrace your cultural herritage. I am Irish/English.. but I do not swear any allegiance to the lands of my forefathers.

A nation can thrive on the interduction of new people. It keeps things fresh and clean, innovation and new ideas come with it.. a society will faulter however when a culture of near equal strength of the one it is moving into begins to show it's effects. It is literally poison for a nation... it only takes a few looks into history.. but the ones who support the none-american ilegals do not care if America stands or falls.. and some I fear would rather us fall. How in the world did the hypocrits of the far left begin being the "good guys" that's what I would like to know. The dangers of this situation going unatended because political figure heads are to affraid to touch the issue for fear of being lablled a racist, could very well lead to a civil war. Wouldn't be the first time in history.

posted on Feb, 2 2007 @ 04:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by SpeakerofTruth

Originally posted by Subcomandante

Yeah, cos' America can only exist if it cleanses all its people of any sense of self. The American Dream can only be achieved if you see all people as subserviant. To quote Immortal Technique, "The attitude that is fed to us is outside of America, there live lesser people, let them fend for themselves, f*** them." The average American is just jealous of their lack of culture.

The only true thing you said in your comment was that America has no culture of its own...You are correct there...The rest of what you stated was complete and utter CODSWALLOP.

[edit on 2-2-2007 by SpeakerofTruth]

Why don't you take a look at the current situation around the world, open your eyes beyond your biased way of thinking.

McDonalds are replacing Cafe's in France. Modernization was drivin by America. Go to China, that is a pure Americanization right there. Europeans may have their own customs, but their way of life is directly related to America. Sorry to inform you but....

It is a historical fact, no time on Earth has a cultural and economic force ever existed who could compare to the awsome power of American culture. I think Euro's even take in our cultural worse... like American Idol.

posted on Feb, 2 2007 @ 04:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by darkbluesky
I can't imagine it allows the stoning of women, or that it does not allow all citizens the rights to drive a car (with a lisense) walk in public, be employed, and have a bank account.

That's the point I'm trying to make. None of these behaviours that they have outlined are acceptable or allowed. There is no reason to write a list of rules that say that you have to send your child to school, that you aren't allowed to beat them and that you shouldn't stone women.

I made this point in the other thread, but I'll do it again here:

We have a ton more Asians in Canada than Middle Easterners but nobody has ever published a set of rules that say that it is unacceptable to spit on the sidewalk, cut in line and grope/rub your crotch against women on public transit. Do you think those generalizations would seem offensive and racist to Asian people who would never behave like that?

Many people from Quebec don't like people who speak English and say that we are trying to destroy their culture. Should it also be acceptable for them to demand people not to speak English while in Quebec? We're talking about a province that has language police that do nothing but check signage to make sure that the French letters are bigger than the English letters.

posted on Feb, 2 2007 @ 07:15 PM
link   
Think of it this way:

If you live in a country where they drive on the left side of the road, then you move to a country where they drive on the right side of the road, do you continue to drive on the left, regardless of the risks to yourself and your passengers, or do you adapt and learn to drive on the right??

No one is asking immigrants to quit loving their home country, or drop all (or even any ) of their customs. But it is foolish to NOT learn the common language, or follow the 'adopted' country's laws. Dangerous and self-defeating too boot!!

They are cheating themselves out of much of what ever they came for, or else why bother?? (Better jobs, better schools, a better life for their kids......all things they will tell you they want......all things they will have better access to IF they would just compromise a bit.) Their dress, food, music, and religion can be whatever they please! They aren't being asked to abandon their language, heritage etc.......they are only being asked to add something TO it!! Just like MY great-great-great grandfather had to do!

Some and maybe even many immigrants, do NOT want to become US citizens, do not want to pay taxes, do not want to learn the language, buy insurance, bother to get drivers licences and learn the 'rules of the road', so to speak. These are a danger to themselves and others.

I've worked for several years with numerous immigrants, Latino and from other countries. I always enjoyed hearing them share stories and customs from their home countries.....keeping those customs alive and spreading. How could they have done that if they had all refused to speak the language of their 'new' surroundings??

posted on Feb, 2 2007 @ 10:20 PM
link   
The language thing would be important in the US, but this story isn't about the US. Canada is a bilingual country and you can't ban people from speaking one of the official languages. If I were to move to Quebec, I would make every attempt to use French because it would make it easier to fit in, but you can't force people to not use English in Canada. That doesn't stop the Quebec government from trying.

The situation that the US finds itself in with illegal immigrants and large Spanish speaking population is not the same as Canadas immigration situation. We don't have a flood of people sneaking into the country. There are people that are here illegally, but nowhere near the level in the US.

There is a reason that Quebec doesn't want immigrants in their province that most outside of the country don't realize. That reason is because when they have their referendums to decide if they should be their own country, the immigrants vote against it. If I have to take sides, I'm going to take the side of the group that doesn't want to split my country apart.

[edit on 2-2-2007 by Duzey]

posted on Feb, 2 2007 @ 10:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by Pjpuas
An old dog can learn a new trick, but most of the time you have to coax it
along before it actually learns its lesson.

Yes, and sometimes leopards never lose their spots.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join