It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Euros completely ignorant about HIV/AIDS?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 1 2007 @ 02:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mdv2

Originally posted by skjalddis
You're not getting the full picture. What those stats aren't saying is that a high percentage of the increase in HIV/Aids in the UK

Reread the stated source:

The escalation has been largest in the United Kingdom, with a 69% rise.

Sorry, I didn't read through that link before, which I guess I should have done, but I see now that it does actually say more or less what I was saying..

Decreases in AIDS cases have been less marked among persons infected during a heterosexual intercourse ('heterosexuals') than for other transmission groups, so that for the first time in 2001, 'heterosexuals' constituted the largest transmission group (36 %). Most of this group were men (59 % in 2001), and a growing proportion of cases originated from a country where the HIV epidemic generalised (from 24% in 1997 to 34% in 2001, mainly sub-Saharan Africa....

....The number of new HIV diagnoses reported per year decreased slowly in homo/bisexual men (HBM) and injecting drug users (IDU), but it has constantly increased since 1996 in persons heterosexually infected (+64% between 1997 and 2001).

This increase is due to an increase in cases originating from countries where the HIV epidemic is generalised. It has been observed in several countries (for example Belgium, Ireland, Norway, United Kingdom), but is more marked in the United Kingdom (+144% between 1997 and 2001), where migrants account for 79% of reported cases heterosexually infected in 2001. Data for the first six months of 2002 seem to confirm these trends.

www.eurosurveillance.org...

link   
Just like I thought. You started this thread with an agenda in mind... :shk:

link   

Originally posted by XphilesPhan

Originally posted by ImaginaryReality1984

The problem with surveys is you don't know who they picked. For all we know they walked around an area of england which is highest in teenage pregnancy in the country.

you mean, like the group that walked around in the US asking geography questions and now claims that ALL Americans are dumb?
you see my point now, euros and aussies? Next time think a little bit before you get on ATS our whatever anti-american fanclub you enjoy and start making generalizations. I think I have made my point and any mod that wants too can shut this thread down now can, unless there is genuine concern about HIV/AIDS transmission and infections in europe. thanks.

[edit on 1-2-2007 by XphilesPhan]

Good point well made, oh course there is another video you may want to watch if you can. Michael Moore was doing a talk at a university and got the smartest americans he could find up on stage. We are talking degree level people, and yet they knew nothing about the outside world.

The australian who made the video about dumb americans was very funny, obviously it was a joke though. People think americans are stupid becuase of more than one source. This doesn't mean all of you are though.

[edit on 1-2-2007 by ImaginaryReality1984]

posted on Feb, 1 2007 @ 02:41 PM
link   

Well point well made, oh course there is another video you may want to watch if you can. Michael Moore was doing a talk at a university and got the smartest americans he could find up on stage. We are talking degree level people, and yet they knew nothing about the outside world.

ugh, Michael Moore is an embecil who will make any fraudalent claim, produce any evidence, and blatantly lie about anything he can to make the US look bad. He is just about as biased as you can possibly get.

I just want an end to the Euro & USA fingerpointing and bickering on this board. Everyone has their problems.

posted on Feb, 1 2007 @ 02:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheBandit795
Just like I thought. You started this thread with an agenda in mind... :shk:

At least I admit it,
. I am sorry, however none of the information is fraudalent or misleading, I was simply trying to make a point.

posted on Feb, 1 2007 @ 02:45 PM
link   

The problem with surveys is you don't know who they picked. For all we know they walked around an area of england which is highest in teenage pregnancy in the country.

you mean, like the group that walked around in the US asking geography questions and now claims that ALL Americans are dumb?
you see my point now, euros and aussies? Next time think a little bit before you get on ATS our whatever anti-american fanclub you enjoy and start making generalizations. I think I have made my point and any mod that wants too can shut this thread down now , unless there is genuine concern about HIV/AIDS transmission and infections in europe. thanks.

Uh, I see..

Oh well, for the record, I happen to like Americans.

posted on Feb, 1 2007 @ 02:47 PM
link   
Although i don't often agree with Michael Moore and think he is a bit of a phony this was an unbiased test. He got some highly educated americans up on stage at random, from PHD students to college students. None of them could answer basic questions about the world, i found it shocking, it was an unbiased test so go and take a look before simply insulting Michael Moore to make the point sound stupid.

I believe the video was - Dude wheres my country. I belive it's around 1 hour and 12 mins into the video.

Oh i decided to edit this so say i have nothing against america or americans. People are people no matter where they are from, some of stupid some are smart. What i will say is America as a country is extremely insular, although here in the UK it is also going that way.

posted on Feb, 1 2007 @ 02:54 PM
link   

Although i don't often agree with Michael Moore and think he is a bit of a phony this was an unbiased test. He got some highly educated americans up on stage at random, from PHD students to college students. None of them could answer basic questions about the world, i found it shocking, it was an unbiased test so go and take a look before simply insulting Michael Moore to make the point sound stupid.

Fine, then send me the questions and I will answer them or post them on the board and I will answer them, if you want, Id be willing to meet you on ATS chat so you can fire away with your questions and make sure I answer them in a timely manner.

I'll even hold off from watching the video so you can use the same questions or even different ones. As long as they are something that should be generally known, like capitals of european or asian countries, or anything of the like I would be happy to answer.

I am currently a college student at Indiana University and very much your average American. I would love to dispell this myth. Do you accept the challenge?

posted on Feb, 1 2007 @ 02:57 PM
link   
Speaking as an averagly sexually promiscuous English person-Jack

haha Jack that made my day. (only because you were so blunt and honest, nothing to do with you being English or anything else like that)

as for AIDS/HIV in Europe.....i haven't really heard about too much. I hear about AIDS all the time happening here in the US and Africa. I didn't really think it was a problem in Europe up until now.

Do any of you think there will ever be a cure for this?
Some scientists think that we are preparing ourselves for teh next Plague. We keep finding cures for diseases left and right. This causes bacteria to try and find a new way to attack us, and if one does find a way, its a matter of time for that little bastard to split and continue splitting itselves until there's millions of them and then what do you know....PLAGUE.

i don't know if i should believe them, because by then wouldn't we notice these people dying and quarantine them? The present day technology has to help us somehow avoid mass deaths by a new plague.

What about you? You believe it?

(BTW, i heard this from a doctor, not a website)

posted on Feb, 1 2007 @ 03:03 PM
link   

Orinigally posted by ImaginaryReality1984
People are people no matter where they are from, some are stupid some are smart. What i will say is America as a country is extremely insular, although here in the UK it is also going that way.

People think americans are stupid because of more than one source. This doesn't mean all of you are though.

It feels amazingly arrogant to quote myself but i feel the need to. Notice how i say some are stupid some are smart? No offense but you answering questions will prove exactly nothing, you are one person. Also the people no matter how smart can still be very ignorant of the world outside their country. This goes for all peoples from all countries not just america. As i said look at us here in the UK, many people here are becoming very inward looking.

I have no doubt you will now call me a coward for not taking up your challenge but go ahead.

posted on Feb, 1 2007 @ 03:10 PM
link   

I have no doubt you will now call me a coward for not taking up your challenge but go ahead.

No, I will not call you a coward, but see thats what I mean. Everyone assumes americans think this or that or that we are confrontational in nature. "challenge" was probably the wrong word for it, I wanted to offer proof that these groups are following their own agendas and are in no way reflective of the common american.

I also seem to be having difficulty locating that video, I found the book "
dude, where's my country" but I didnt find any video.

posted on Feb, 1 2007 @ 03:14 PM
link   
So this whole thread was created because someone began feeling inferior?

Pointless.

If you had actually bothered to ocnduct your own survey, asking for the opinions we had of Americans you would have found that most people believe some are dumb and some are smart. The complete pointlessness of this thread astounds me, especially here on ATS.

All over the world there are dumb people, smart people, bad people, good people, poor people and rich people... making any sort of claim that says every person in one particular area is the same is the stupidest thing anyone can do.
I think some Americans are dumb, I think some are ridiculously overweight... but that doesn't mean I walk around with crooked yellow teeth speaking in a posh British accent (as American TV depicts ALL Brits) saying "All Americans are fat. All Americans are dumb."

Wake up and open your eyes to the rest of this trouble stricken world before making grand generalisations about what other people (who you don't know) think.

Originally posted by CrazyPolak
Speaking as an averagly sexually promiscuous English person-Jack

haha Jack that made my day. (only because you were so blunt and honest, nothing to do with you being English or anything else like that)

I'm glad I made your day

posted on Feb, 1 2007 @ 03:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by JackofBlades

So this whole thread was created because someone began feeling inferior?

No, I created this thread becasue I was tired of the constant barrage of anti-american propaganda, which you cannot deny that ATS is flooded with, not becasue I was feeling inferior.

posted on Feb, 1 2007 @ 03:30 PM
link   
Anti-American?

I haven't come across anything Anti-American. I have come across the opinions of individuals, which they are entitled to. And alot of these 'anti-america' opinions are some times the view of American citizens.

I think you will find that the 'anti-american' aspect of our views stems not from its people (many of which I have interacted over the net and found funny, smart and generally nice), but from our opinion of its government. I do not like George Bush or his cabinet, and the only Anti-American thoughts that creates in my head is complete confusion at how America could reelect him. That is the only problem I have with the American people, and I know a lot of people here only have a problem with Barmy Bush.

posted on Feb, 1 2007 @ 03:43 PM
link   

No, I created this thread becasue I was tired of the constant barrage of anti-american propaganda, which you cannot deny that ATS is flooded with, not becasue I was feeling inferior.

The fact that many people on ATS oppose the US administration is not that strange. If you choose to take that up as anti-Americanism I don't mind.

Frankly, I don't think anyone on here minds. It says more about your immature behavior than about ATS.

Yes, I'm proud to be citizen of a social European Union. Simultaneously I'm aware that the EU is not perfect. I have no problems admitting that.

You belong to the small group of brainwashed Americans that can't stand any form of criticism on the US and always have one or another excuse to justify US wrongdoings.

You must be proud of that!

posted on Feb, 1 2007 @ 04:09 PM
link   
Doesn't surprise me at all about the UK - I am UK born and bred and have heard some outrageous stuff about HIV/AIDS, one of the more memorable being that you can catch it from drinking out of the same glass as a gay bloke!
But please remember that we live in the age of the "Chav" - ignorant, promiscuous, binge drinking, unprotected sex having, gob#es whose goal in life is to accumulate as much chunky gold jewellery as possible, sire as many children as possible (preferably with different partners), own as many tacky tracksuits and baseball hats as possible, and never do a days work whilst sponging off the state and getting free housing.
No wonder the country is in such a state - I've heard numerous "youngsters" say, when asked their aspirations "I wanna be famous" - not for doing anything, just to be famous.
Chavs and the cult of meaningless celebrity - the bane of modern Britain.......

But for all of you from different countries, please remember - we're not all like that..........

posted on Feb, 1 2007 @ 04:39 PM
link   
Actually, I don't know about the rest of England but around my area in Nottingham, chavs are slowly disappearing. I started a campaign which will hopefully stop them going extinct... but I wouldn't be bothered if it failed!

And chavs aren't the only ones going around fornicating wildly. Students, who have what I wold call an upper class upbringing, are even worse. I heard some stories in college, saw some pictures....

Still, HIV isn't exactly rushing wildly throughout the population. There are a few cases, but it is still only a small number of people who are afflicted.

And in case you didn't read through the posts, the OP wasn't actually bothered about HIV in EU societies, he was just trying to prove a point which has already ben disproven.

posted on Feb, 1 2007 @ 04:44 PM
link   
yeah,
read the posts - just wanted to have a whinge about chavs - I live in Penzance, and they are hardly an endangered species here lol
take your point about wild posh people in colleges - I had to work my way through college, and did various functions in hotels for alleged "upper class" people - the real difference was that they thought they had a right to behave badly, because they were "socially superior" pity about them being morally inferior lol

posted on Feb, 2 2007 @ 01:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by CaptGizmo
the post said in europe...how did you put americans in that group...?? you seem to have a very negative attitude towards americans as this post had nothing to do with america but you worked it in somehow?

call me overreactive, but this post felt like finger pointing to me
and even though i'm not a fan of of the current setup of the European Union , i'm still a proud inhabitant of the grand duchy of Luxemburg .

So to quote one of the holy books on this planet :
Matthew 7:3 Why, then, do you look at the straw in your brother’s eye, but do not consider the rafter in your own eye?

[edit on 2-2-2007 by Hvitserk]

posted on Feb, 2 2007 @ 03:40 AM
link   

I must admit im surprised how HIV/AIDS issue can be used for patriotic purpouses.

On topic.

Educating and informing people of all ages in Europe about HIV/AIDS is good. The problem is how people practice sex. All education and informations are useless when you start to think with your genitals.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join