It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

 

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

 

Euros completely ignorant about HIV/AIDS?

page: 1
0
<<   2  3 >>

log in

join
share:

posted on Feb, 1 2007 @ 09:49 AM
link   
The british, second only to the dutch, are among the most permiscuous nations in europe. They also are the most ignorant on HIV/AIDS transmission and do not teach these subjects in their biology/science curriculum.



The Eurobarometer poll of 25,000 Europeans showed the British are among the most likely to be promiscuous, second only to the Dutch, The Daily Mail reported.

In Britain, more than half of those surveyed said they do not take precautions to prevent infection with HIV and 22 percent believe that AIDS can be spread by kissing.

"We do not have mandatory sex and relationship education in schools and what does get taught is part of science," the Family Planning Association said in a statement. "But it is not good enough just to talk about biology. Young people need to be taught how to negotiate using a condom."


I cant say I am really surprised by this after having attended an english school and seen how little they care for their science curriculum. anyway, this doent bode well for those who are sexually active in europe.

SOURCE: www.physorg.com...




posted on Feb, 1 2007 @ 09:58 AM
link   
I think the Dutch may be one of the more permissive nations in Europe but I'm not sure that translates to promiscuity.

Quoting off the top of my head I remember reading an article comparing the rates of pregnancy and underage sex of both British and Dutch teenegers, theres seemed to be far lower. This could be because Dutch attitudes to sex education are more comprehensive and well thought out enabling children to make mature choices rather than confusing them. Here in the UK we have two warring camps those who would deny it even exists and the others who throw condoms at teenagers, neither one IMO is very productive.


Edn

posted on Feb, 1 2007 @ 10:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by XphilesPhan
The british, second only to the dutch, are among the most permiscuous nations in europe. They also are the most ignorant on HIV/AIDS transmission and do not teach these subjects in their biology/science curriculum.
You're probably not aware Scotland has a separate education system from England and we do get taught that sort of stuff. when you read news about Britain just make sure there not just talking about England which most tend to do.



posted on Feb, 1 2007 @ 10:09 AM
link   
I was just about to jump in on the Scottish thing lol

Its not covered under biology, but IS under social studies, that covers not just hiv, but sexual health / relationships etc. etc.

That being said, polls are polls and prove zip.

We conducted one in the office which said the 95% of americans are ignorant about hamburger abuse



posted on Feb, 1 2007 @ 10:13 AM
link   
Ignorant or not,europeans dont contract HIV\AIDS easily.It is a biological virus created by the shadow govt to reduce non whites esp africans.Hell 1\10 of europe's pop is immune to HIV\AIDS.



posted on Feb, 1 2007 @ 10:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by XphilesPhan
The british, second only to the dutch, are among the most permiscuous nations in europe.

Got any statistics on that?
Something like 9 out of 10 americans, even in the older generations, engage in pre-marital sex, so I am not sure whow the british can be said to be much worse. And just because the dutch have legal prostitution in some areas hardly means that they have more prostitutes and heavier use of them.


seen how little they care for their science curriculum.

Perhaps part of the problem is that, from what I understand, the british have a big tracking system in schools, on one track, are peopel who aren't going to go to college, on the other track, people that are. SO perhaps the non-college track doesn't get much of a science education, and as a result, aids doesn't get covered as well.


Look,s liek the eubarometer website has lots of special investigations and topics covered, seems like a good resource:

www.gesis.org...

(go through the steps to select a study and then find a report under the heading 'publications')

This one, for example, has 30% of respondants saying that yes, you can get aids by giving blood, and 14% thinking that you can, or possibly can, get it by shaking someone's hands.


Also, lets keep in mind, these surveys can include people of all ages. I wouldn't expect people who were in high school prior to the 80's to have any systematic education on these things.

[edit on 1-2-2007 by Nygdan]



posted on Feb, 1 2007 @ 10:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by manchurian_candidate
Ignorant or not,europeans dont contract HIV\AIDS easily.It is a biological virus created by the shadow govt to reduce non whites esp africans.Hell 1\10 of europe's pop is immune to HIV\AIDS.


I have heard that there is a segment of europe's population that is completely immune to HIV. I dont know if its true, I heard 20%, and thats not much more than the 10% you were saying. I heard it is the scandinavians who are immune to the disease.

Can anyone else find out anymore info on this?



posted on Feb, 1 2007 @ 10:26 AM
link   
Ok, I found some more info on this,
Im going to end up de-railing my own thread. Anyway, there is a genetic mutation that occurs in about 10% of europeans called CCR5 that prevents HIV from entering their cells. It occurs around the mediterranean and scandinavian areas and some scientist believe that it is a mutation that occured during the time of the black plague.

I would be interested to see if the mutation also appears in americans of european descent. This is really cool!



posted on Feb, 1 2007 @ 10:38 AM
link   
in the Grand Duchy of Luxemburg children attend sexual education classes during their last year in primary school (know it , been there) , which is then followed by more in-detail lessons during biology classes in high school (know it been there)
Germany has a similar system , France has none during primary school but extended ones in high school

As far as i agree that not enough is being done , i'd still love to see figures comparing infections in the US and the EU

here is a less detailed one covering continents
another link here
to unaids.org with the 2006 map for infections

results are clear,even though the EU is terribly promiscuous
, the number of HIV infected people in north America is double the one of western and central Europe , with a population that is roughly triple the one of North America (excluding Mexico and central America of course).


Says enough i guess .



posted on Feb, 1 2007 @ 10:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by Hvitserk
in the Grand Duchy of Luxemburg children attend sexual education classes during their last year in primary school (know it , been there) , which is then followed by more in-detail lessons during biology classes in high school (know it been there)
Germany has a similar system , France has none during primary school but extended ones in high school

As far as i agree that not enough is being done , i'd still love to see figures comparing infections in the US and the EU

here is a less detailed one covering continents
another link here
to unaids.org with the 2006 map for infections

results are clear,even though the EU is terribly promiscuous
, the number of HIV infected people in north America is double the one of western and central Europe , with a population that is roughly triple the one of North America (excluding Mexico and central America of course).


Says enough i guess .



Its not surprising really!

Have you SEEN the women in Oslo???? 8th wonder of the world lol.

Spoken like a true European



posted on Feb, 1 2007 @ 10:52 AM
link   
US
Aids/HIV infected: 950,000 (2003 est.)
Pop: 298,444,215 (July 2006 est.)

UK
Aids/HIV infected: 51,000 (2001 est.)
Pop: 60,609,153

NL
Aids/HIV infected: 19,000 (2001 est.)
Pop: 16,491,461 (July 2006 est.)


In the 20 EU countries for which data was available for the last 4 years, the total number of reported new HIV diagnoses increased by 23%. The escalation has been largest in the United Kingdom, with a 69% rise. In 2004 just under 72 000 cases were reported in the whole WHO European Region. According to new UNAIDS estimates 2.3 million people are living with HIV and AIDS within the European region

url=http://europa.eu/rapid/pressReleasesAction.do?reference=IP/05/1481&format=HTML&aged=1&EN&guiLanguage=en]Source[/url]


The EU has more than double the number of HIV/AIDS infected individuals compared to the US. Interesting to know is what causes this difference. Sexual education is a poor argument in my opinion.

For detailed information and graphs check out this site: Source



posted on Feb, 1 2007 @ 11:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by Mdv2
US
Aids/HIV infected: 950,000 (2003 est.)
Pop: 298,444,215 (July 2006 est.)

UK
Aids/HIV infected: 51,000 (2001 est.)
Pop: 60,609,153

NL
Aids/HIV infected: 19,000 (2001 est.)
Pop: 16,491,461 (July 2006 est.)


In the 20 EU countries for which data was available for the last 4 years, the total number of reported new HIV diagnoses increased by 23%. The escalation has been largest in the United Kingdom, with a 69% rise. In 2004 just under 72 000 cases were reported in the whole WHO European Region. According to new UNAIDS estimates 2.3 million people are living with HIV and AIDS within the European region

url=http://europa.eu/rapid/pressReleasesAction.do?reference=IP/05/1481&format=HTML&aged=1&EN&guiLanguage=en]Source[/url]


The EU has more than double the number of HIV/AIDS infected individuals compared to the US. Interesting to know is what causes this difference. Sexual education is a poor argument in my opinion.

For detailed information and graphs check out this site: Source


your last source is a bit of weird mix of French and English anyhow i find it quite strange that Unaids (posted a link to the UNAIDS 2006 map of infections in my first post) comes up with totally different figures on the EU site .

You give the following figures :

UK
Aids/HIV infected: 51,000 (2001 est.)
Pop: 60,609,153

NL
Aids/HIV infected: 19,000 (2001 est.)
Pop: 16,491,461 (July 2006 est.)

which i do not doubt a minute but , let's imagine Germany( +- 80 million pop) and France (+- 60 million pop) have another 200 000 infected people together , we roughly get to 300 k , where are the other 2 million , keeping in mind we've just been through the largest pops in the EU.

just trying to understand .



posted on Feb, 1 2007 @ 12:12 PM
link   
the post said in europe...how did you put americans in that group...?? you seem to have a very negative attitude towards americans as this post had nothing to do with america but you worked it in somehow?



posted on Feb, 1 2007 @ 12:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mdv2
US
Aids/HIV infected: 950,000 (2003 est.)
Pop: 298,444,215 (July 2006 est.)

UK
Aids/HIV infected: 51,000 (2001 est.)
Pop: 60,609,153

NL
Aids/HIV infected: 19,000 (2001 est.)
Pop: 16,491,461 (July 2006 est.)


In the 20 EU countries for which data was available for the last 4 years, the total number of reported new HIV diagnoses increased by 23%. The escalation has been largest in the United Kingdom, with a 69% rise. In 2004 just under 72 000 cases were reported in the whole WHO European Region. According to new UNAIDS estimates 2.3 million people are living with HIV and AIDS within the European region

url=http://europa.eu/rapid/pressReleasesAction.do?reference=IP/05/1481&format=HTML&aged=1&EN&guiLanguage=en]Source[/url]


The EU has more than double the number of HIV/AIDS infected individuals compared to the US. Interesting to know is what causes this difference. Sexual education is a poor argument in my opinion.

For detailed information and graphs check out this site: Source


You're not getting the full picture. What those stats aren't saying is that a high percentage of the increase in HIV/Aids in the UK, and I expect also in the rest of Europe, is due to the arrival of already-infected migrants from Africa. Of course, this is a highly racially-sensitive issue which is probably why it is often not spoken about. According to a 2006 report from the Health Protection Agency here in the UK..


The global HIV epidemic continues to adversely affect BME populations in the UK. During 2005, nearly two-thirds (3691/5902) of all new diagnoses (where ethnicity was reported) were among BME individuals, four-fifths of which were among black Africans, the majority of whom probably acquired their infection in sub-Saharan Africa.


www.hpa.org.uk...

Also, regarding the promiscuity claims - I tend to be wary of giving too much credence to claims that people in the UK are the worst in this, that and the other, especially when it comes from govt or official sources - they seem to have a decidedly unhealthy compulsion these days to tell us how rubbish we are and how good everyone else in the world is in comparison.



posted on Feb, 1 2007 @ 01:01 PM
link   
Speaking as an averagly sexually promiscuous English person, who was taught the English curriculum, I can say I was warned about STIs, contraception, and pregnancy. I found my learning adequate and am pleased to say that I have never had an STI, nor have I fathered any unwanted children because I always use a condom.

The knowledge I recieved was sufficient to prevent anyone in my year from catching a venereal disease, or from having any unwanted children (two girls had children, but it was out of choice)



posted on Feb, 1 2007 @ 01:29 PM
link   
I agree with Jack. They cover the condom, and that's pretty much a swiss army knife against sti's. Everyone I know, knows about aids and how it's transmitted. Where your getting this idea from is beyond me.



posted on Feb, 1 2007 @ 01:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by skjalddis
You're not getting the full picture. What those stats aren't saying is that a high percentage of the increase in HIV/Aids in the UK


Reread the stated source:


The escalation has been largest in the United Kingdom, with a 69% rise.




I was pretty surprised to see the highest number of HIV infected individuals in the more developed countries (Spain, Italy, France, Netherlands, Germany, UK) as I expected the new (Eastern Europe) member states to have higher numbers.



posted on Feb, 1 2007 @ 02:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mdv2

The EU has more than double the number of HIV/AIDS infected individuals compared to the US. Interesting to know is what causes this difference. Sexual education is a poor argument in my opinion.


I imagine it has to do with a poor education system and just plain ignorance coupled with apathy. you cant really blame the sheeple of europe, they just burry their heads in the sand or prefer to point out flaws in other parts of the world. I wonder if socialized medicine has anything to do with this.



posted on Feb, 1 2007 @ 02:18 PM
link   
Have to say i found the ecucation in school was fine. I am 21 and remember 3 whole talks on just this topic which everyone in the year had to attend. We were shown proper use of condoms (how does anyone get that wrong), told about pregnancy, dispelled some myths about catching diseases and told about many different diseases including HIV and Aids.

The problem with surveys is you don't know who they picked. For all we know they walked around an area of england which is highest in teenage pregnancy in the country.



posted on Feb, 1 2007 @ 02:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by ImaginaryReality1984

The problem with surveys is you don't know who they picked. For all we know they walked around an area of england which is highest in teenage pregnancy in the country.


you mean, like the group that walked around in the US asking geography questions and now claims that ALL Americans are dumb?
you see my point now, euros and aussies? Next time think a little bit before you get on ATS our whatever anti-american fanclub you enjoy and start making generalizations. I think I have made my point and any mod that wants too can shut this thread down now , unless there is genuine concern about HIV/AIDS transmission and infections in europe. thanks.

[edit on 1-2-2007 by XphilesPhan]

[edit on 1-2-2007 by XphilesPhan]



new topics

top topics



 
0
<<   2  3 >>

log in

join