It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Woman who miscarried sues police after arrest

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 4 2007 @ 07:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rockpuck
Raist.

IF they prove... which they will take her side anyways just because the media tainted the case.. that the death was the fault of the officers.. then yes.. they should be fired.

The police are not doctors, they do not know what is wrong with her.. and no.. if you say you need to go to the hostpital they do not have to take you.. only if you are noticably injured.. and even then, people go to jail bloodied up all the time. if she didnt want to be arrested while pregant.... maybe she shouldn't have put fake tags on a most likely stolen car.

Ok I'm not realy sure where to begin so I'll start with the police and taking her to the hospital.
Their job is to Protect & serve they are doing a bad job of prtecting her and being public servants if they are ignoring her constant pleas for medical help. Yes they must get her medical help if she is asking for it. As I stated in an above post what if some one had been claiming heart attack. There may not be any physical signs other than them holding their chest. Should they not call medical help then? This woman said she was bleeding there was a female officer present if they wanted proof she could have even checked that. But they don't need proof they are supposed to call because they are not trained to know about the medical field they are trained in basic CPR only.

Secondly maybe she put the fake tags on while waiting for her next check to get the tags. Big deal I have no problem with the arrest thats not what I'm questioning. I'm questioning why the arrest was not made along with transport to a hospital. She broke a law punish her thats perfectly fine by me but if ask to get some one help you help them first. Cops arrest ppl all the time and get them to the hospital. Not every thing that is a medical condition has physical signs that are noticable by some who is not trained in the medical field. Knowing this why not get some one help if they are asking for it. Also if you have ever been around any one who is pregnant you realize if they say they are bleeding you need to get them to a doctor.

Just because they tags were fake does not mean she does not have a right not to receive medical attention when asking for it. And any one looking at the video can see plainly the cops are guilty of gross negligance by not getting her the medical help she ask for multiple times.

Raist

Edit to add
There are alot of strange things about pregnancy and effects of things. Some ppl can smoke crack and get drunk and deliver a pretty healthy child. Then there are times when you do every thing you can and thats still not good enough things happen. Some times ppl don't even know they are pregnant until they have a still birth about half way through. Things get weird when it comes to pregnancy it's not some thing that should realy be taken lightly ever by any one.

These cops missed their mark on their training and it shows that is why the city is being sued. They ignored their training flat out and this time it cost them and they desreve to pay for this not question ask.

[edit on 2/4/07 by Raist]

apc

posted on Feb, 9 2007 @ 10:14 AM
link   
The internal investigation has concluded. A source within the department has unofficially stated the two officers will be fired. No word on any further action. The lawsuit is still pending.

[edit on 9-2-2007 by apc]

posted on Feb, 9 2007 @ 11:02 AM
link   
Hate to piss in your post toasties but the supreme court ruled that the cops do NOT have to serve and protect. Withing weeks of that ruling they were taking the logos off their cruisers that said "To Protect and Serve" and replacing them with "Seat Belt Enforcement Unit". Their job is basically protection of property and state, not individuals.
That said, let me opine that the cops in this case were first class turds. Many a diabetic has died in police custody after being arrested for "drunk driving" when, in fact, they had no alcohol in their blood stream just an abnormally high glucose level. The cops do get training on that one now but how long do we keep hiring hard-hearted power junkies with IQ's lower than their shoe size and giving them positions of authority over us?

apc

posted on Feb, 20 2007 @ 10:34 AM
link   
An official statement regarding the fate of the two officers is expected this afternoon. Will post when more information becomes available.

apc

posted on Feb, 20 2007 @ 02:33 PM
link   
Unless overturned, the two officers and one jailer are fired.

apc

posted on Feb, 20 2007 @ 10:12 PM
link   
Correction, a jailer has been fired outright. The two officers have been placed on suspension w/o pay. The police chief's recommendation that they be terminated will be considered by the police board.

posted on Feb, 21 2007 @ 01:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by apc

There are a few questions about the wrongful death. I am in no way a doctor, but how likely is it to stop a miscarriage? I have heard from an EMT that as she was already in the process of having a miscarriage, there was nothing that could be done to save the fetus.

From my own personal experience, there is a chance that the baby could have been saved if she had been allowed to receive medical attention.

When it happened to me, the bleeding and all, I ended up in the hospital and was given some type of IV medication to stop it.

My beautiful daughter is now 14 years old.

apc

posted on Sep, 14 2007 @ 07:02 PM
link   
There's been some recent developments on this issue...

www.kansascity.com...

A suspended Kansas City police officer testified Thursday that she didn’t call an ambulance for a woman who complained of having a miscarriage because the officer thought the woman was lying.

Officer Melody Spencer’s testimony came during an administrative hearing before Jackson County Circuit Judge William F. Mauer over whether Spencer and partner Kevin Schnell should be fired for ignoring Sofia Salva’s pleas for medical attention during a 2006 car stop.
Spencer “deliberately violated the policy because she believed that the repeated statements of Ms. Salva were an attempt to avoid being arrested,” said Maj. Mark Dumolt. “That’s not a decision she’s able to make. ... If a person claims to be sick or injured, that should be enough.”

This judgement should be the conclusion of the employment issue.
I believe a wrongful death suit is still pending.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join