It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Gays a 'demographic problem' -- Putin

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 1 2007 @ 06:22 AM
link   
this is a weird story, stating that the gay problem, is causing a problem in the birth rates.

newsinfo.inquirer.net...

i also remember seeing a news clip where they were saying that in china, more boys are being born these days.

russia has supposedly put incentives in for mothers etc... to help with the problem.

what are your views.

posted on Feb, 1 2007 @ 10:32 AM
link   
Well...

Yeah it's true actually...

Just surprising that a politician actually say it

Over here he would promptly be lynched

posted on Feb, 1 2007 @ 11:59 AM
link   
my view is why is the birth rate so important to these people in high stature such as Putin and Bush? I know why Bush allows illegals to run into our country by the millions. It's because Latin Americans have the highest birth rates in world! The higher the birth rate, the more taxes and more men available for military duty. I say it's time for our leaders to start respecting their citizens and their rights before they look out for their own greedy causes.

posted on Feb, 1 2007 @ 12:23 PM
link   
I think its pretty silly to suggest that there are too many gays and that its causing a real problem with respect to population growth.

Are that many russians gay?

Russia has a low birthrate and a declining population

Whats a bigger cause of declining growth rates, people leaving the country, or gays of 'normal' breeding age not having children?

"My view on the gay parade and sexual minorities is simple. And it's linked to the fact that one of our main problems is demographic," Putin said.

So very often we find that people that are condeming 'sexual minorities' as a 'problem' are themselves engaged in a lot of the behaviour that they are advocating against. I certainly wouldn't be on solid ground to say that Putin is just such a hypocrit, but I really wouldn't be surprised if he was.

After all, who is a guy who poison's whistleblowers, secretly assasinates reporters, and trys to strong arm independant states, to take the moral high ground anyway?

posted on Feb, 1 2007 @ 12:35 PM
link   
Spot on, Mr. Moderator. Until Russia addresses the real cause of their low birth rate, instead of pushing off blame onto easier targets, they're going to be in the dark. I am both saddened and astonished by the nitwits held in such high positions worldwide.

posted on Feb, 1 2007 @ 12:49 PM
link   
Population problem?
This entire planet has a population problem to the tune of 6 billion.
Human beings are planet cancer and hopefully it'll be cured before it's too late. If we don't learn to develop a symbiotic relationship with this planet as opposed to a parasitic one then homo sapiens sapiens is going to get exactly what it deserves...

extinction

posted on Feb, 1 2007 @ 01:45 PM
link   
Russia does indeed face a population (or rather depopulation) problem. Unlike 99% of the countries in the world, Russia population has been continuously shrinking for the past 15 years- in a row. It's shrinking by about one percent a year, but if you puy 15 years back-to-back what do you get (and don't forget to compound those losses). And a shrinking population is not that big of an issue for small countries, but in a huge country (land-area) like Russia it poses obvious risks. Chinese migrants are already streaming into Southeast Russia, with some cities having Chinese-born migrants as near majorities. Ethnic Russians are being quickly replaced by the growing population of migrants and immigrants from Asian countries (there is really no such thing as illegal-immigrants, but they could be seen as such). This could lead to major problems in a decade or so.

Here is Russian population counter to see how big of a problem depopulation is:

www.mnsu.edu...

Births since January 1, 2005: 3,276,898
Deaths since January 1, 2005: 4,766,399

(of course this doesn't include immigrants).

But you are right that blaming gays for the problem is just an excuse. There are more realistic problems, and dealing with them is no easy matter or even immposible. For example:

-Over 1/2 of Russia is nearly uninhabitable. Certain cities in Northern Siberia and the far East were created during an industrial boom, and people either wanted to move there because of money or were forced to move there. Now that the economy deteriorated, few want to remain in the harsh conditions, where life-expectacy is naturally lower than the rest of the country due to climate. Some cities became nearly abandoned, others rely on oil and natural resources to stay inhabited.

-Divorce rates are high due in no small part to the remaining issue of alcoholism, especially outside urban areas.

-Economic conditions, both good and bad contribute to the problem. If there are no jobs and the economy is bad families choose to delay having children. If the economy is booming like it is now in some cities, women choose to focus on their business careers instead.

Blaming gays is really just looking for an excuse to prevent them from having a parade or whatever they wanted to have there.

posted on Feb, 1 2007 @ 01:49 PM
link   
when i read this, i thought back to when putin kissed that little kids stomach.

top topics

join