It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

'A Doomsday Scenario', Premier of New South Wales calls New Climate Report

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 1 2007 @ 03:20 AM
link   
Tomorrow a report is due for release in Paris, a draft, another one on climate changes, commissioned by the government of New South Wales and carried out by the UN's Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC). What they found out is still more severe conditions must be expected. Compared to previous forecasts this one predicts temperatures three times higher than the last IPCC report from 2001, suggesting a minimum rise of 1.4 degrees, which - if not for this one - was the biggest increase over a century during the past 10,000 years. Now they predict 4.5 degrees.

news.bbc.co.uk
Scientists predict that rainfall will fall by 40% by 2070, not only creating a massive water crisis, but producing double the number of bush fires. Heat-related deaths would soar from a current average of 176 a year to 1,300. Sydney would come to resemble the harsh, dry and inhospitable conditions of remote inland towns.

The government of New South Wales, which commissioned the report, has been alarmed by its findings. The state premier called it a doomsday scenario, but one which the city and country had to confront.

Along with America, Australia has refused to sign the Kyoto Protocol, the only two major industrialised nations to do so.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

I know a few people still will claim it has nothing to do with human activity. But when predictions can change 300 percent in half a decade something is wrong.

I bring this up because it will have a definate influence on cities like Sydney, by now one of the most pleasant and beautiful metropolises on this earth. But unfortunately it doesn't seems it will be able to sustain so, cause living anywhere comes down to water.

Australia being a dry continent will be a place to suffer first and most, and with the general mismanagement of water systems and insuficient preserving of reservoires, it might go even quicker than predicted.

Look at all the bushfires NSW had this year, burning all the way to the municipal outskirts of Sydney. They will manifold in the coming years.

Some political outrage it is likely to cause, not least in Sydney who commissioned it.

Here on ATS we've heard firsthand about wild weather, also from Australia ...and maybe they are more servere, those reports on the rapidly changing patterns of weather they have down under, than others.

I can't dig up all the threads that are here on the subject, but you know what I mean... will it go on?

Can we do anything at all or should we just keep on partying as long the pints they flow?

Related News Links:
www.smh.com.au

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
Wild Weather Update
"It's liquid gold, it's a matter of life and death" - Australia's Water Crisis

[edit on 1-2-2007 by khunmoon]

[edit on 1-2-2007 by UM_Gazz]

posted on Feb, 2 2007 @ 12:17 AM
link   
CORRECTION. I have to confess I mixed up two different reports in the OP. The one mentioned in the introductionary paragraph is a UN report from Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC), and the one in the snippet the report commisioned by the NSW government, carried out by The Commonwealth Scientific and Industrial Research Organisation (CSIRO).

Sorry!

However it doesn't change anything or make them less serious. The evidence is becoming more and more overwhelming and the finest minds are coming together heeding out warnings. The doomsday clock keeps on ticking.

Stephen Hawking held a speech at the Royal Society in London a fortnight ago at a conference organised by the Bulletin of Atomic Scientists.

"As we stand at the brink of a second nuclear age and a period of unprecedented climate change, scientists have a special responsibility, once again, to inform the public and to advise leaders about the perils that humanity faces," Professor Hawking said. "As scientists, we understand the dangers of nuclear weapons and their devastating effects, and we are learning how human activities and technologies are affecting climate systems in ways that may forever change life on Earth.

"As citizens of the world, we have a duty to share that knowledge. We have a duty, as well, to alert the public to the unnecessary risks that we live with every day, and to the perils we foresee if governments and societies do not take action now to render nuclear weapons obsolete and to prevent further climate change.

"We are here today to outline the results of the Bulletin's recent deliberations and to warn the public about the deteriorating state of world and planetary affairs by moving the hand of the clock," Professor Hawking said.

Hawking warns: We must recognise the catastrophic dangers of climate change

In the myriads of reports published so far on climate change a trend shows, the predictions becomes more and more grave.

Scientist being generally conservative and precausious, any new report overrules previous ones in seriousness, and in the scientific community a consensus irs rising: CLIMATE CHANGE IS MANMADE!

Thus only man can reverse it.

There are the cosmic cycles influencing our climate, which we can do little about, but when they come together with the vandalism of corporate activities and a global conciousness, ignorant or neglecting, it is sure to spell Armageddon.

What will John Howard do about the water crises? The present government of Australia is definately one for the corporations.

Take this snippet about the mining giant BHP Billiton, who shouts foul play now government eventually has to take steps.

Under a 1982 agreement with the South Australian Government, BHP's Olympic Dam uranium, gold and copper mine and the neighbouring town of Roxby Downs draws 33 million litres of water a day from the basin free of charge.

If a Sydney household or business managed to use that much water, its daily bill would be more than $52,000.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Above from Sydney Morning Herald today: BHP alarm over PM's river plan

posted on Feb, 3 2007 @ 07:36 AM
link   
Now this thread has been up for more than 24 hours and not a reply.

Don't ask me why, I would have thought some Aussies had commented by now... but there ain't much to say, maybe.

It's a pity for Sydney, such a pleasent place...

Again, why should I care... I won't be here in 40 years.

A pity attitude, but is that how it is?

Our children has to be here though.

posted on Feb, 3 2007 @ 07:43 AM
link   
interesting the first 1st world country to have this problem, and probably is going to cost them a fortune to find any alternatives.

interesting, how people always live for today, and do not bother about tomorrow.

new topics

join