It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Tea Tree Oil Caused Breast Development On Boys

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 31 2007 @ 08:06 PM
link   
Products that contain tea tree oil and lavender oil have been linked to the development of breast tissue in pre-pubescent boys.

Three young boys grew breast tissue after exposure to lotions and shampoos containing lavender or tea tree oil, researchers say.

It is not uncommon for boys to develop breast tissue during puberty or just after, but the boys affected by the plant oils were aged four, seven and 10.

The natural oils may be “gender-bending” chemicals mimicking effects of the female hormone, oestrogen, the findings suggest. The boys were otherwise normal, and lost the breast tissue within months of discontinuing use of the products.
www.newscientist.com...

It surprises me that this has never been noticed before, both of these oils are used extensively for a long time. I do notice more products have tea tree oil in them than in the past, but my grandmother used to put sachets of dried lavender in my closet when I was a kid.
We handled the stuff in the garden, we dried it, etc... But I don't remember growing boobs when I was young.

The story from New Scientist does go on to say:

Because the boys were each exposed to the oils regularly for weeks, the researchers speculate that there might be a threshold “dose” for the effects to kick in. This, in turn, could depend on the concentration of the oil in the product, the duration of use, the frequency of use and genetic factors which make certain people, but not others, vulnerable to the effects.

I guess I came in under the threshold "dose".

posted on Jan, 31 2007 @ 11:38 PM
link   
Remember that things like tea tree oil are sold as food supplements and "external use" supplements. They don't go through the same kind of testing that FDA approved stuff does.

So they could have all kinds of side effects. Interesting, but given the lack of research and widespread "don't believe the nasty scientists", it's hardly surprising. I read the MDA sheets on that stuff... turns out that in large amounts, it's kinda toxic.

posted on Feb, 1 2007 @ 01:42 PM
link   
From Medicinenet:

USES: Tea tree oil has been used as an antiseptic for burns, cuts and insect bites. It has also been used for acne, eczema and fungal infections of the skin (e.g., athlete's foot). Some herbal/diet supplement products have been found to contain possibly harmful impurities/additives. Check with your pharmacist for more details regarding the particular brand you use. The FDA has not reviewed this product for safety or effectiveness.

www.medicinenet.com...

It surprises me that something in common use for medical conditions is not reviewed by the FDA.
Further down in the article from Medicinenet there is a warning against using tea tree oil while pregnant or nursing.

What's the reasoning behind the FDA not doing a review on this.

posted on Feb, 1 2007 @ 01:47 PM
link   
So wait? you're saying if a buy a heap of tea tree oil i will have my own and never have to date anyone again? That could be really convenient.

posted on Feb, 1 2007 @ 02:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by SpaceCalamari
So wait? you're saying if a buy a heap of tea tree oil i will have my own and never have to date anyone again? That could be really convenient.

OMG..... Rolls laughing for 20 minutes.

Ok, Ok, Ok...

Here is what I am curious about. Has anyone noticed how men generally abstain from using such perfumish smelling products and scented soaps? Im not saying we men stink, Im jsut saying we dont use products like these generally. I wonder, if on some sub-concious level, the presence of these oils caused a slight repugnance to their use in men. Just wondering,... they smell great on women though, lol.

posted on Feb, 1 2007 @ 03:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by SpaceCalamari

I can see the future spam that'll show up in my e-mail already.
Breast enlargement products with Tea Tree Oil and Lavender.

I doubt there will be a fad of boys growing breasts for their own pleasure anytime soon though.

posted on Feb, 1 2007 @ 03:37 PM
link   
If you want to get real scared, do some research on Estrogen in our Environment. Tea Tree oil is the least of your worries. I started a thread about it but lost steam... Here's what I had:

What is Estrogen in the Environment Doing to Men?

… and women and animals for that matter. Birth control pills, hormone replacement therapy, estrogen creams… What are these substances doing to the environment and are they finding their way back into the bodies of people and animals through our waterways and the food we eat? What happens to the estrogen that isn’t used by the body of a woman who wants to prevent pregnancy? Once it goes into the water treatment plants, where does it go?

First of all, What is Estrogen?

Estrogen is not one hormone, it is the name of a group of hormones. There are three principle forms of estrogen found in the human body estrone, estradiol and estriol, also known as E1, E2 and E3 respectively.

For the past 50 years, conjugated equine estrogen, brand name Premarin® has been the most commonly prescribed estrogen supplement in the U.S. Conjugated estrogens are derived from pregnant mare's urine. They must be converted by the body into active estrogens. Premarin® is the most studied estrogen supplement. It is also the most widely prescribed hormone in the world. If you are taking a hormone, it is probably Premarin®.

Birth control may be harming state's salmon

Birth-control pills can curb the reproduction of more than just the women taking them. Western Washington scientists have found that synthetic estrogen -- a common ingredient in oral contraceptives -- can drastically reduce the fertility of male rainbow trout.
The man-made compounds are showing up in waterways around the nation -- pumped into rivers, lakes and Puget Sound with water from sewage-treatment plants. There are no standards for how much synthetic estrogen and other hormones can be released in sewage and wastewater, and treatment plants generally do not monitor for it.

In frogs, river otters and fish, scientists are "finding the presence of female hormones making the male species less male,"

It's a good subject for research.

new topics

top topics

join