It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Goddamn it I'm tired of "reality" TV

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 31 2007 @ 04:51 PM
link   
What freaking reality is there in Survivor, Big Brother, American Idol, etc. I don't watch these lame shows but in the little time I spend watching TV I'm inundated with these stupid commercials plugging even more stupid shows. Now we've got Pro's vs Joe's, or as it should be named, Has Been's vs Wannabe's. It's no freaking wonder that people are NOT tuning in.

You want reality TV? Show how a single parent manages to keep the power on and feed 5 kids on minimum wage, while helping them to get passing grades with all of the homework because the load is too big for the educational system to do on it's own. THAT I might watch.

posted on Jan, 31 2007 @ 04:54 PM
link   
Hear Hear!

Enough with the pretty people with attitudes.

Let's get some meat and potatoes on the tele!

posted on Jan, 31 2007 @ 06:45 PM
link   
Well said.

But the problem is, we are to blame. If we as the viewer did not tune in every week, we would not be forced to endure it. This is another fad in the constant cycle. Remember a few years ago when we were consumed with prime time game shows? Millionaire, Greed, 24 (Pre-Sutherland era). It was actually Maury Povich as the host of the show. Enough said.

Survivor changed that and we were forced with Reality TV. As Survivor began to fade, American Idol swooped in to keep the surge alive. It has done quite well in its run as well with little signs of letting up.

We are hard pressed to find a good comedy these days. Between reality television and crime-dramas (which I love) it is tough to find anything else on television these days.

posted on Jan, 31 2007 @ 07:05 PM
link   
yes, i agree also...

good thread...

posted on Jan, 31 2007 @ 07:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by intrepid
You want reality TV? Show how a single parent manages to keep the power on and feed 5 kids on minimum wage, while helping them to get passing grades with all of the homework because the load is too big for the educational system to do on it's own. THAT I might watch.

Funny you should say this.
Though i'm not a single parent my wife and i survive on one wage while she has gone back to uni, we have four kids under 10, a mortgage, and bills like you wouldnt believe every week.
Not complaining though, wouldnt change a thing.

I also hate reality shows but find myself strangely drawn to them, it's like watching a train wreck, you just cant take your eye's off it.
Doesnt help having all these girls in the house that just love the .....

posted on Jan, 31 2007 @ 07:54 PM
link   
I love reality television

You see, it sucks sideways, so I never watch it. This has reduced the hours of television I watch a week to about 7 hours. That means I have more time for other things.

Reality TV has simply caused me to enjoy MY life more.
It's fantastic.

posted on Feb, 1 2007 @ 02:52 PM
link   
Hmm isn't reality tv suppose to be like a worldwide conspiracy?Take Big Brother for example,you watch what other people do,security personel do the same with their hidden or unhidden surveillance cameras.If it's popular,then the "surveillance conspiracy" seems to be working.They might keep showing the reality tv shows just to show the real negativities of real people.

posted on Feb, 1 2007 @ 02:59 PM
link   
I'm one of the viewers of reality TV. Only two shows though.

1- The Surreal Life, but just because I like watcing has been celebrities make complete fools of themselves. It's pretty pathetic, and makes me feel like a big man.

2- Beauty and the Geek. If you've ever met me and my GF, you'd know why. When we first met she was very ditsy, and I was ultra nerd. As a matter of fact, the first date was something of a pity date. We had tentative plans, and she cancelled. I called her up and played the pity card to get her to come out.

I guess the second is more of a "The way we were" scenerio.

posted on Feb, 1 2007 @ 06:28 PM
link   
intrepid, there was one reality show that I think you might of even enjoyed. It aired a few years ago, can not remember on which network. Just looked it up and big shocker, it aired on Fox.

My Big Fat Obnoxious Fiance

It had some dull points, actually most of it was, but watching the unsuspecting family squirm was enjoyable. Obnoxious was an understatement for this guy. He played the role well.

I've watched this promo for an episode, and it doesn't do much justice for the show overall. But it gives an idea of what the plot consisted of.

[edit on 1-2-2007 by chissler]

posted on Feb, 16 2007 @ 01:01 PM
link   
I freak'n hate Reality TV.

I don't think Top Chef counts as Reality TV ... I like that .. but shows like Survivor and Surreal Life (and the rest) ...

posted on Feb, 16 2007 @ 01:11 PM
link   
reality tv isn't real. Reality is boring and we watch tv, read books, go to movies etc to escape our own mundane existence. The shows are scripted and the contestants are all steered towards more entertaining scenarios.

what's even more confusing to me are reality games like The Sims and Second Life. Who the hell wants to go to work and raise a family in cyberspace when they are doing that same exact thing on this orb?

posted on Feb, 16 2007 @ 01:31 PM
link   
Sorry, but I love reality shows

posted on Feb, 16 2007 @ 02:30 PM
link   
Interesting topic. My wife and I were just talking about this the other night. There are no longer any shows on TV that I really like enough to rearrange my schedule to see. Or even tape. If there's not a game on, or a movie, or something on Discovery, Nat'l Geographic, Science, or History channel, I'm not interested.

Although I do like American Chopper and Dirty Jobs. Are those reality tv? The guy on Dirty Jobs cracks me up.

My favorite moment was when he was working as an exterminator and treating a church for termites. The high-pressure equipment malfunctioned and he got some serious spray in the face. His comment-

"Here's how it ends for me. At the side of a church with a mouthful of poison".

Me too. Probably.

posted on Feb, 16 2007 @ 02:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by yeahright
There are no longer any shows on TV that I really like enough to rearrange my schedule to see. Or even tape.

get the first 5 seasons of 24 on dvd and then, when the current season is available, get that too. you'll be glued to the tube next season.

posted on Feb, 16 2007 @ 02:37 PM
link   
You know, I've never seen a minute of that show. I know it's popular, and Stephen King likes it. Maybe I ought to give it a shot.

BTW, nice sig.

posted on Feb, 16 2007 @ 02:38 PM
link   
just don't be angry with me when you get hooked. I got chissler hooked and he passed the addiction on to his girlfriend. It's really good stuff.

posted on Feb, 16 2007 @ 02:40 PM
link   
Well, I can't deny that I like some reality television, but for the most part my g/f likes to watch it and usually I let her control the remote. If it makes her happy then it's worth it. We either have sports or a reality show on.

My personal faves are the dating shows (i.e. Blind Date, X-Treme Dating, Cheaters). My new fave is Rob and Amber: Against the Odds where Rob is trying to make it as a professional poker player and he's getting his arse handed to him.
That being said I've never gotten off on Survivor, Big Brother or any of those other high ratings monsters, I don't know why, they just don't keep my interest.

Oh, I also love to watch Real Housewives of Orange County.

Peace

[edit on 16-2-2007 by Dr Love]

[edit on 16-2-2007 by Dr Love]

posted on Feb, 16 2007 @ 02:44 PM
link   
That's like "Firefly". Never saw it when it was on, but ended up watching it all on DVD.

But then, I'm a big Adam Baldwin fan.

posted on Feb, 16 2007 @ 02:45 PM
link   
he peaked as Rickey Linderman. It was all downhill from there.

posted on Feb, 16 2007 @ 02:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by Crakeur
he peaked as Rickey Linderman. It was all downhill from there.

My Bodyguard was a great movie. But he's pretty good in Full Metal Jacket and excellent in Firefly and Serenity as Jayne Cobb.

Plus he's not one of the snarky Baldwin brothers.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join