It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Suspicious Packages being found in Boston(Updated)

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 1 2007 @ 05:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rasobasi420
So these advertisers are facing five years in prison because of the stupidity of our fine people at Homeland Security?

Seems pretty rediculous to me.

No, they are facing jail time because of their own stupidity and the stupidity of TBS.

And the "Boom" box looks like a bomb. even if the outside of it was sealed up and it was properly disguised, it could still have the explosives inside of it. On these things there is no inside. There's not eve a battery cover.

Some of the battery packs were enclosed in black electrical tape. Is it a battery or is it C-4? You tell me.

posted on Feb, 1 2007 @ 05:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by smallpeeps

Plus, it's really funny how electronically inept the American is. Not me of course, I am a REAL American, and can tell the difference between a bomb and LED's with exposed C batteries. I am a genius inside my own nation, apparently.

I have to agree I made a few LED projects in my day. Im shocked the first Bomb Squad guy that got within 20 ft of the thing didnt realize the same thing at first glance.

Its alittle more complex then most LED art which can be as simple as a LED battery and magnet. They appear to have CDS cell and are using a 555 timer (i think) to make a simple night activated trigger for the LED. Which is easy to do and would atleast double the life of any such sign since you wont waste battery power during the day.

Still very simple stuff

posted on Feb, 1 2007 @ 05:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by andy1033
whether 911 was an inside job has nothing to do with this.

I disagree. Since all of our current terrorism and homeland security laws were based on the idea that terrorists brought down the towers, if 9/11 was an inside job it shows that these laws are pointless, and only serve to remove freedoms from regular people.

Emphasis added.

If. Little word, big meaning. Sorta throws your argument out the window, eh?

posted on Feb, 1 2007 @ 05:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by ShadowXIX

Originally posted by smallpeeps

Plus, it's really funny how electronically inept the American is. Not me of course, I am a REAL American, and can tell the difference between a bomb and LED's with exposed C batteries. I am a genius inside my own nation, apparently.

I have to agree I made a few LED projects in my day. Im shocked the first Bomb Squad guy that got within 20 ft of the thing didnt realize the same thing at first glance.

Its alittle more complex then most LED art which can be as simple as a LED battery and magnet. They appear to have CDS cell and are using a 555 timer (i think) to make a simple night activated trigger for the LED. Which is easy to do and would atleast double the life of any such sign since you wont waste battery power during the day.

Still very simple stuff

Exactly the thing that made them appear dangerous in daylight. They weren't blinking, so what were the cops supposed to do? Hold a black sheet over the light sensor and see if the rig lit up?

posted on Feb, 1 2007 @ 05:28 PM
link   
Not really. If you saw the initial post in to which I replied, the wuote was "Whether 9/11 was an inside job" Which means that the appropriate reply would be if. And it wasn't really an argument becky.

posted on Feb, 1 2007 @ 05:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by sp00ner

Originally posted by Umbrax
Togetic, now I feel bad for using the duh smiley

But a story like that being buried has really got me riled up (that and the cold medicine).
Covering up major news with junk is something that happens all the time. I wonder what was really happening while Trump and Rosie were feuding and made the cover of every news group.
Almost 800 scientists are now going unnoticed because people don't understand pop-culture and assume the boogyman is back.

Are you referring to the climate reports? I'm sure those aren't going to be buried for very long my friend. We'll be talking about them for the next 5 years...

We're talking about this news story.

And the discussion thread is here.

posted on Feb, 1 2007 @ 05:47 PM
link   

Not at all, just that middle school kids are more apt to go to bed on time than HS kids. Go figure.

Why not just admit your original allegation was wrong then just back off because only a MS was asked? Need I remind you of your original statiement??

It's funny because any teenager or child would know what it was right away.

Those were your words not mine. What are you going to do now, insist that those that go to a MS are not children?

Frankly after watching the interview of the two I hope they get the book thrown at them big time while Turner and the agency get very big fines. Tons of American Taxpayer dollars went down the hill for their little stunt and that is wrong, any fool knows that terrorists use cell phones and circuit boards to explode bombs

posted on Feb, 1 2007 @ 05:49 PM
link   
Hey guys, ive got a streetlight outside my window that blinks at night. Should i call Homeland Security?

posted on Feb, 1 2007 @ 06:19 PM
link   
Okay Shots you got me. I underestimated the impact time of day would have on the shows popularity. Nevertheless, the point still stands. Remind me again Shots, what was the point again?

Anyway, the only way these guys can be prosicuted is if they can prove that they intended to produce a bomb scare. If the defense show that these advertisers intended to make this an advertisement, and not a bomb scare, then they'll be fine. The judge is even pretty nonchalant about the whole thing too, so they're likely to get off light.

posted on Feb, 1 2007 @ 06:21 PM
link   
In addition to the marketing LED devices, the police also found two fake pipe bombs that were unrelated to the LED Devices. This, in my opinion was what caused the red alert.

Link to Pipe bomb story

In addition, some of the LED devices had the batteries wrapped in electrical tape which then could appear to be a pipe bomb. Considering that they were attached to bridge supports, It is understandable why people might think they were suspicious packages.

The LED critters were cool, I made an exact copy of one today to take to a party this Saturday. Too bad the marketing company didn't get permits.

posted on Feb, 1 2007 @ 06:24 PM
link   

If the ministry of homeland security thought these things were bombs, oh dear god stay away from Vegas!!

posted on Feb, 1 2007 @ 06:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by Umbrax
Togetic, now I feel bad for using the duh smiley

But a story like that being buried has really got me riled up (that and the cold medicine).
Covering up major news with junk is something that happens all the time. I wonder what was really happening while Trump and Rosie were feuding and made the cover of every news group.
Almost 800 scientists are now going unnoticed because people don't understand pop-culture and assume the boogyman is back.

No problem.

I agree that that story is very important, and I hope someone at least can put things into the proper perspective.

posted on Feb, 1 2007 @ 06:30 PM
link   

Boston Police bomb squad cops detonated the pipe bomb, which was a very realistic-looking fake, the sources said.

I bet this is their cover story so they don't lool like complete idiots. Bomb squads accross the country probably found these things and didn't give a $#!+. That's why for two weeks there was nothing in the news. They don't want to be the ones to look like fools.

posted on Feb, 1 2007 @ 06:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by jsobecky

Exactly the thing that made them appear dangerous in daylight. They weren't blinking, so what were the cops supposed to do? Hold a black sheet over the light sensor and see if the rig lit up?

I dont know a lite-brite still looks like a lite-brite if its on or off. Its just like a neon sign if it was off, you can still tell what it is and what it shows if on or off.

Perhaps if you have no clue about electronics it might look dangerous but heck so might a unattended IPOD left near the bus stop to someone that has no clue what they are looking at.

But to anyone that knows their electronics it should have been very clear what it was and a none issue as it was in the 10 other cities these LED signs were put up in. Boston simply overreacted over LED signs and they were helped in large part by sensational media

[edit on 1-2-2007 by ShadowXIX]

posted on Feb, 1 2007 @ 06:36 PM
link   
This video sums up how ridiculous this whole thing is.

*Warning, strong language*

[edit on 1-2-2007 by DJMessiah]

posted on Feb, 1 2007 @ 06:51 PM
link   
Who knew all those kids playing with light brights were really attending terrorist training camps?

posted on Feb, 1 2007 @ 07:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by shots
Frankly after watching the interview of the two I hope they get the book thrown at them big time while Turner and the agency get very big fines. Tons of American Taxpayer dollars went down the hill for their little stunt and that is wrong, any fool knows that terrorists use cell phones and circuit boards to explode bombs

Man, I love your work shots but chill please.

"Any fool knows that terrorists explode bombs with cell phones and circuit boards"?? Now, do you see the mental connection you are making here? You are suggesting that circuit boards and cell phones and electronic devices should be feared. It's like I am trying to explain a pistol to you here: They are not to be feared, only understood. I think it's much scarier that those schoolkids are not taught about electronics don't you?

This was a funny ad campaign and only the terror alert mentality of America made it so huge. It's funny to me that you fear some nebulous terrorist more than you fear this tech-dumb America. Warfare is fought economically these days, as I am sure you know.

Is a terrorist gonna chill your ice cubes? Well a circuit board does. So when people see one, they should think "Yummy! Ice cubes!" and not "Oh God! Bomb!"

Hey I'm not coming down on you, but I do see Rasobasi's point. BTW Raso I GOTTA HAVE MORE COWBELL!

Really people, as an American, I find this jumping at shadows mentality to be symptomatic of a national neurosis. America could learn so much from the Aqua Teens. If only they'd listen. Also they could learn a lot about LEDs here, if they'd only listen. But why are news people paid to make us scared, and not smart?

[edit on 1-2-2007 by smallpeeps]

posted on Feb, 1 2007 @ 08:03 PM
link   

Really people, as an American, I find this jumping at shadows mentality to be symptomatic of a national neurosis. America could learn so much from the Aqua Teens. If only they'd listen. Also they could learn a lot about LEDs here, if they'd only listen. But why are news people paid to make us scared, and not smart?

I concur on this issue.

Unfortunately, the very generation who staged the marketing campaign are also writing the news reports with their journalism degrees these days.

It really is a double edged sword in some respects.

posted on Feb, 1 2007 @ 08:07 PM
link   
I think the real question is who is gonna watch aqua teen hunger force tonight?

posted on Feb, 1 2007 @ 08:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by ShadowXIX

Originally posted by jsobecky

I dont know a lite-brite still looks like a lite-brite if its on or off. Its just like a neon sign if it was off, you can still tell what it is and what it shows if on or off.

I'm glad that you admit your limitations (I dont know a lite-brite still looks like a lite-brite if its on or off) because, it doesn't. It's a package on a bridge abutment 20 feet above eye level, and you're telling me that you would immediately recognize it as harmless? No way, pal. I would not trust your judgement as gospel if I were in charge of protecting the public.

Perhaps if you have no clue about electronics it might look dangerous but heck so might a unattended IPOD left near the bus stop to someone that has no clue what they are looking at.

Let me say this: I've forgotten more about electronics than you will ever know. Want to call me out on that? Whenever you're ready, just yell.

But to anyone that knows their electronics it should have been very clear what it was and a none issue as it was in the 10 other cities these LED signs were put up in. Boston simply overreacted over LED signs and they were helped in large part by sensational media

[edit on 1-2-2007 by ShadowXIX]

That's a stupid and irresponsible statement, as well as an ignorant denial of the stress that it causd to a major city. Go watch cartoons, that's where your head is.

new topics

<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join