It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Suspicious Packages being found in Boston(Updated)

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 31 2007 @ 09:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by promomag

Originally posted by djohnsto77

Originally posted by sp00ner
They're blinking little billboards... they're on bridges... because they want people to see them, and because they can easily hang them...

So it's now legal for a corporation to hang a billboard wherever it want to? If you had hung a circuit board with wires sticking out of it on a bridge, you'd definitely be on your way to jail. Yet you are defending the right of a major corporation to do it?

Show me they didn't have permits in 10 major cities for 2+ weeks. Then we'll talk.

You're asking someone to prove a negative. What TBS is going to have to do, and what the judge who is going to rake their stupid asses over the coals for, is to prove the positive.

Iow, he/she's gonna say to the defendant (TBS) "Show me where you secured the proper permits."

posted on Jan, 31 2007 @ 09:42 PM
link   
that's a good point jessica and probably why that fool was arrested tonight.

posted on Jan, 31 2007 @ 09:43 PM
link   
Just another word on the topic. The Boston Police acted according to procedure. The device they detonated was near a T station, and secured to a support for the lower deck of I93. Thousands of commuters, hundreds of buses and cabs, and the tunnels to/from Logan close by.

Another was found near New England Medical Center.

What were they supposed to do?

I93 was shut down. Traffic was gridlocked. How would you feel if your dad was waiting for an ambulance because he'd had a heart attack, or was being transported into Boston for help? Can't move b/c some dumbass cartoon network thought they had a cute little ad gig going on. Cheap bastards. Now they'll pay, and not only for all the State, local, and ATFE personnel that responded, but hopefully very heavy punitive damages.

This is the kind of prank that is thought up by immature kids - working for TBS, and I don't care how old they are - that have no concept of the way to do things right. And whomever authorized it at TBS should be fired.

Someone mentioned that this will go nowhere b/c Turner has the best lawyers that money can buy. They wish. And if they can afford high-powered mouthpieces, why not spend a few bucks on advertising the right way - thru TV time or billboards.

posted on Jan, 31 2007 @ 09:57 PM
link   

Here's the video:

www.youtube.com...

Looks like the ATS link in the preview at least is messing up the embedded link to you tube.

Anyways, So you people are clapping because they are arresting the people who put the signs up or the people paying them to put the signs up?

What a weird world we live in.

posted on Jan, 31 2007 @ 10:28 PM
link   

Anyways, So you people are clapping because they are arresting the people who put the signs up or the people paying them to put the signs up?

I want to see them both hung out to dry. As has been mentioned, they are lit up at night, but during the day they look pretty suspicious.

posted on Jan, 31 2007 @ 10:52 PM
link   
With videos like that having been made, it adds to the likelyhood that the entire thing was meant to be a public crisis to garner more attention.

I hope everyone involved -- Time Warner, the ad agency, and anyone hired will all be prosecuted for their criminal acts.

posted on Feb, 1 2007 @ 12:00 AM
link   
Well I settled in for another late round of ATHF and guess what they had up. Normally they have one note dealing with the age recommendations for the show but tonight they had an additional four.

We Apologize to the citizens of Boston that part of a marketing campaign was mistaken for a public danger.

We Appreciate the gravity of the situation and, like any responsible company would, are putting all necessary resources towards understanding the facts surrounding it as quickly as possible.

As soon as we realized that an element of the campaign was being mistaken for something potentially dangerous, appropriate law enforcement officials were notified and through Federal law enforcement channels, we identified the specific locations of the advertisements in all ten cities in which they are posted.

We also directed the third-party marketing firm who posted the advertisements to take them down immediately.

We appreciate the commitment demonstrated bt the Boston Police Department and other law enforcement agencies, as well as the Massachusetts Governor's Office, and deeply regret the hardships experienced as a result of this incident.

Good to know our vaunted DHS missed ~100 of these thing for three weeks.
I still can believe that lite-brites brought Boston to a stand still. Ah well the "New Normal"

We have your rims now, fat man. And now we are off on a quest, for honeys that are beyond fly.
-Ignignokt

posted on Feb, 1 2007 @ 01:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by djohnsto77
With videos like that having been made, it adds to the likelyhood that the entire thing was meant to be a public crisis to garner more attention.

Or perhaps to draw attention away from a more important story.

posted on Feb, 1 2007 @ 02:20 AM
link   
Isn't this the same kind of guerrilla marketing crap that Microsoft tried to pull in 2002, when they pasted butterfly logos all over New York City? If that happened in my city, I'd want to see the perpetrators tossed in jail for vandalism. Who the hell is managing Turner Broadcasting's Marketing department anyway? They should've known about the Microsoft fiasco, and that this sort of thing would cause trouble.

posted on Feb, 1 2007 @ 03:02 AM
link   
wow those things look so much like bombs

man i coulda never figured out it was a neon sign.

well, whatever. people are so afraid of everything nowadays anyways. buncha morons in this country i tell ya.

posted on Feb, 1 2007 @ 04:54 AM
link   
Well it would have been wise to follow all the regulations in the cities they were advertising in.

I wish everyone cared as much about protecting our borders as they seem to care about this.

Ignore real threats to our security and shut down a city over LED advertisements. Amazing.

Were dooomed

- NSBiz

posted on Feb, 1 2007 @ 08:32 AM
link   
What kind of world are we living in when a few Lite Brites make everyone act like utter morons and freak out? Whatever happened to common sense?

*sigh*

posted on Feb, 1 2007 @ 08:42 AM
link   
Just saw a clip of Boston Police taking the two in for arraignment and they both had cockey looks on their faces. I hope they take the book and throw it at them, Turner or who ever had anything to do with this.

Totally uncalled for all they had to do was make one quick phone call and advise authorities where they were that alone would have stopped much of the problems.

posted on Feb, 1 2007 @ 08:43 AM
link   
I was watching cartoon network last night/this morning when they made an apology in one of the little black segways, only this segway wasn't one or two sentences long, it was a lengthy apology to the city of Boston stressing no ill will.

I knew something was up, and as usual my girl thought that I was being paranoid. Then I read this morning about the scare and sure enough it was Aqua teen hunger force.

I agree that it's sad how people are acting. We had something recently in L.A., but it didn't cause anywhere near as many problems.

[edit on 1-2-2007 by phoenixhasrisin]

posted on Feb, 1 2007 @ 09:52 AM
link   

We Apologize to the citizens of Boston that part of a marketing campaign was mistaken for a public danger.

We Appreciate the gravity of the situation and, like any responsible company would, are putting all necessary resources towards understanding the facts surrounding it as quickly as possible.

As soon as we realized that an element of the campaign was being mistaken for something potentially dangerous, appropriate law enforcement officials were notified and through Federal law enforcement channels, we identified the specific locations of the advertisements in all ten cities in which they are posted.

We also directed the third-party marketing firm who posted the advertisements to take them down immediately.

We appreciate the commitment demonstrated bt the Boston Police Department and other law enforcement agencies, as well as the Massachusetts Governor's Office, and deeply regret the hardships experienced as a result of this incident.

Wow, those statements weren't drafted by a lawyer at all. Nope! Not a one!

I agree that Turner needs to reimburse the city for their actions. However, I think that criminal prosecutions are not necessary. They were negligent, yes, but not necessarily to the level required for a criminal act. I hope that the Suffolk County can work out a deal whereby they pay a fine but don't need to serve jail time. The public ignominy should be enough punishment for them for a long time.

posted on Feb, 1 2007 @ 09:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by Digitalis_Purpurea
What kind of world are we living in when a few Lite Brites make everyone act like utter morons and freak out? Whatever happened to common sense?

*sigh*

Yeah, it's pretty sad. The saddest part is that we are scared so easily. Although it baffles me how a gorwn up person would reasonably assume that a few dosen LEDs with a battery attached to them constitute a bomb. So, you pick: a moronic coward or a cowardly moron.

posted on Feb, 1 2007 @ 10:27 AM
link   
It's funny because any teenager or child would know what it was right away. No terrorist organization would mark their bombs with pictures of Ignignokt and Err. Maybe the FBI should hire some 12-15 year olds. It might actuallydo them some good.

I see this being in the same style as Banksy. It's aimed at those who get it, and those that don't can KMA.

And, BTW, whoever pays for it, I'm laughing. I can't stand Ted Turner, and despise the Department of Homeland Security.

Criminal charges? That's BS.

posted on Feb, 1 2007 @ 10:31 AM
link   
My question.

Who's the bigger idiot?

The company that didn't think this advertisement through?

or

The dumbarse people who freaked out and shut down Boston?

Obviously, by the way I typed it, you know my stance.

posted on Feb, 1 2007 @ 10:51 AM
link   
I wrote a pretty nasty letter to Fox 25 Boston this morning about how poorly they handled this situation. I understand that in this post 9/11 society we all must over react and fear for our lives at every corner, but c'mon.....

Free the lite-brite 2!!!!

posted on Feb, 1 2007 @ 10:51 AM
link   
When the report first went into the Boston police all they saw was a bettery pack with some wires dangling from it attached to the support members of a bridge. Then reports started coming in that there were several in the city and most all attached to bridges and public transportation structures. Over-reaction? Possibly. An easy call now that it's all over.

I've been in the advertising industry for over 20yrs. You mean to tell me that in all the meetings that took place regarding this campaign not one chucklehead bothered to ask if it was legal to affix something to public structures without the city's permission? This is either the pinnacle of stupidity or they realized it was illegal but did it anyway.

Criminal charges? Tough call. This event garnered massive publicity. There is a box full of other idiots out there contemplating pulling similar stunts --- depending upon what happens to these two numbnutz. I think the City of Boston is going to make sure that they are dissuaded from trying something like this again.

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join